Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Opinion: Then vs Now

I wouldn't go so far to call it vicious slander, but you can definitely see a difference in product/result as the event grows older. Gone are the days of original characters, original event themes, and actual scare zones and In are the generous amount of IP houses (which are fine and do well with the audience), selfie zones, and an event branded on its own name.

The evolution reminds me of WWE's Wrestlemania. They'll sell out the event solely on the name - rather than the list of wrestling matches that are on the card. People know what to expect - and most of the emphasis is placed on the brand recognition to drive butts in seats. Probably a poor comparison - but it's the only thing I can think of that has evolved and grown the way HHN seems to be heading.

I'm most excited for next year - and am hoping for completely new house locations to really shake up the status quo of the event.
But again, different doesn't mean lesser. Different doesn't mean the effort or passion isn't there. It just means that it's different.

I think your WrestleMania comparison is pretty apt. The scale and grandeur of the event is greater than it ever was. The performances are still the highest quality. The effort to create engaging storylines that somehow subvert expectations while still creating a satisfying payoff for fans (all while striving to follow the organization's philosophy) is the same that it was. You don't do that job without a passion for it. It's different because they have different writers than ten years ago. They have different performers with different talents. And the audience has changed, becoming smarter and more demanding. It's just different.

You are new here so I’m going to go easy on you. But let me just say that I personally know and have worked alongside all of these people you are talking about, and to say any of them doesn’t “care” about their work is a vicious slander and completely uncalled for.

I’ve publicly criticized Aiello&Horne et al for some things at HHN, but I have enough wisdom and experience to know the flaws are a result of balancing the realities of finance/safety/efficiency vs creativity, NOT because of a lack of passion.

You talk like you know what goes on inside these people’s heads, but they are just names to you — to me they are real human beings with feelings and families, who just happen to be paid to do something I’m sure you wish you were capable of. You may want to consider that the next time you sit down to write a long personal attack on people you don’t really know, and use that time more productively for self-improvement instead.

/end_of_rant
Not new here. I've been here since 08. I just rarely post. I wasn't attacking anyone. I was just saying that I don't see some people fit for the position. Past groups have done a way better job at creating the event. Again, I'm sure they are passionate. I respect Aiello and the entire A&D team. There's no denying that. Patrick Braillard is the shining star of that group and definitely isn't part of this criticism but I do feel like this current group has run out of ideas. They need fresh minds in there to help breathe some new life into the event. And I get it, its 27 years old so your bound to run out of ideas eventually but there are still fresh ideas out there. I state multiple times that while Aiello is a great guy, I don't see him or his group under him fit to create the event anymore. I never attacked anybody or said anything bad, just stated an opinion. If they get upset about somebody on a message board criticizing their event than they have bigger issues. Again, I wasn't attacking. The event seemed better when other people ran it and if you look back to the sudden change of things it all points back to the changing of the guard. The passion is definitely there. There use to be so much more to it. Its like taking the wrapping off of a present. Inside the box are the houses which are amazingly detailed and exciting. On the outside it's just a brown cardboard box now while it use to be wrapped with shiny paper and tied together with a bow. Besides the houses, the event has gotten lazy because Universal is comfortable. While house quality goes up, everything else goes down.

Last edited: