Original Universal Billboards | Inside Universal Forums

Original Universal Billboards

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Aug 13, 2015
So, USO turned 25 this year and I started looking back through old photos. Does anyone remember these 3D billboards? I loved these as a kid! Sadly, I couldn't find any pictures of them online except these three. The pictures don't do them justice, they were a sight to see in person. Especially as a kid, you knew you were close when you started seeing them. They had many more including King Kong, Back to the Future, and Jaws. I remember they disappeared around the early 2000s. It's great for marketing, Universal should revamp this IMO.

image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg

I do miss those pop-out billboards. A really fun and unique way of knowing you were in Orlando. Does anyone happen to recall what they had before the "_____ is Universal" ones? They're nice and all, but it's a shame the only fun, pop-out effect is Harry's wand.

Those are cool retro pics. I always enjoy seeing the billboards because I know I'm getting close. Seeing them on the way back to the airport is depressing to say the least

Thanks, I wish I could find more. If anyone has any feel free to post them. I liked the Kong one most of all. The only thing close to these kinds of billboards are heading into the Magic Kingdom area. One of TOT, and Flick from Bug's Life, lol.

My first visit was in 1997 and I never remember seeing any of these.

Could they have been gone earlier? Maybe I just don't remember, there sure was a lot to take in.

I also absolutely loved these as a kid. I feel like billboards like these really upped the excitment factor, and we're just awesome to look at. I might have a few pictures of them lying around actually.

Reactions: Tucker
These started being removed in 1998 (with Ghostbusters being the exception), with Terminator and ET lasting until late 2003. The majority of them were on 528 westbound. Their fiberglass shells only lasted about 3-4 years in the sun, so they would be continually replaced. All of them also had lighting effects.

The biggest factor in their removal was that Universal needed to advertise the parks as a resort instead of a single park, and with billboards along the tourist corridor being prime real estate with 10+ year contracts, it made sense to take them down and start advertisements for the whole.

There were billboards for the following:
ET - light up finger
BTTF - light up flames behind the time machine
Jaws - light up headlight on the boat facing the shark
Kongfrontation - light up tram
Terminator - light up eyes on the T-800
Ghostbusters - illuminated proton streams
Earthquake - illuminated fires

If you guys like factoids, the Jaws billboard was also repurposed for the display at the Universal store in OIA.

Reactions: Tucker and Brian G.
I do miss those pop-out billboards. A really fun and unique way of knowing you were in Orlando. Does anyone happen to recall what they had before the "_____ is Universal" ones? They're nice and all, but it's a shame the only fun, pop-out effect is Harry's wand.
If I remember correctly, the billboards used to reflect Universal's old motto "Be Courageous, Be Outrageous, Be Extraordinary". The Simpsons and Spiderman were "Courageous", Hulk and Shrek were "Outrageous", and Harry was "Extraordinary".

And I know this is Hollywood, but I'd expect something similar to debut next year:
kingkongOOH.jpg

It's a shame they don't use more billboards, but when you can type Universal into google I suppose you don't need them.

Stuff like this make me sad that my first USF visit wasn't until 2006 (I actually went to IOA as a single day back in 2001), USF is just as every bit as unique as retro EPCOT was. These retro billboards kind of conjure up that magical, mysterious and thrilling presence USF gave off in the 90s that has been hard to replicate since. Jealous of all those who got to partake in it.

I remember seeing these billboards...I loved them! The only Dusney one that invoked that same feeling was the Tower of Terror one.
Such a shame they don't do these kind of billboards anymore. They were so uniquely Universal. It really built up the anticipation to visiting the park.

So, USO turned 25 this year and I started looking back through old photos. Does anyone remember these 3D billboards? I loved these as a kid! Sadly, I couldn't find any pictures of them online except these three. The pictures don't do them justice, they were a sight to see in person. Especially as a kid, you knew you were close when you started seeing them. They had many more including King Kong, Back to the Future, and Jaws. I remember they disappeared around the early 2000s. It's great for marketing, Universal should revamp this IMO.

View attachment 1016
View attachment 1017 View attachment 1018

Wow these are fantastic!