Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion | Page 102 | Inside Universal Forums

Pandora: World of Avatar General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Cameron pitched a Way of Water update to Flight of Passage recently. Supposedly Iger liked the idea and nothing has been decided.

“When Bob Iger came back a couple weeks ago, I did send him an email and say, ‘You know, we can do Avatar 2 and 3 motifs and put them into the physical hardware of ‘Avatar Flight of Passage’. He liked that idea. So nothing has been decided. But, you know, we would like to carry that along and update it from time to time with things that flow back out of the new movies. Because I think there’s a good synergy between the physical base where you can go and just kind of meditate and be on Pandora and how the movies progress the story and bring in new imagery.”

So this is 99% guaranteed to happen, right? Avatar 2 is on its way to making 2 billion plus. Wouldn't be surprised if that expansion plan is being fast tracked too. Maybe 2025?

So this is 99% guaranteed to happen, right? Avatar 2 is on its way to making 2 billion plus. Wouldn't be surprised if that expansion plan is being fast tracked too. Maybe 2025?
This would be a cheap and easy way to keep the land fresh. I'm thinking that it probably happens at some point, but we'll see.

As for Pandora as a whole, Pandora is one of the most popular things about DAK currently. So while DAK needs more things, i'd personally prefer that they focus on the Dinoland USA plans of revitalizing that area and maybe in the grander scheme of things add a third ride (which was initially rumored to be a coaster when it existed when the land was in the design phase).

What i'm more curious about is that now that Avatar has proven to still be a box office draw all these years after the original film, will Disney build cloned lands (or even just a cloned version of FoP) anywhere? The top two international markets interestingly enough are China (as expected) and France (having generated almost $100M so far). That's two opportunities for theme park integration between SHDL and DLP Resort.

I could definitely see an Avatar attraction in SHDL, but probably not FoP. Would such an expensive low capacity ride even be attractive to these other resorts?

Reactions: GadgetGuru
I could definitely see an Avatar attraction in SHDL, but probably not FoP. Would such an expensive low capacity ride even be attractive to these other resorts?
Current capacity is 1500 I believe, for Shanghi they could build twice as many screens. Given how popular Soarin is there I'd say FOP would be a mega hit for the park.
I could see Paris getting it too but a slimmed down version with just the one attraction as they always get the short straw.

I wonder if there’s hesitancy to clone Pandora is that they view the ride as a package deal with the scenery outside (there are other vested partners in the operation/creative decisions of the Asian parks, right?), which has just gotta be prohibitively expensive.

Also, when I went to click on this thread I accidentally went to the front page, which kicks right off with an argument about how relevant Avatar is…fast forward to this page 5 years later and we’re discussing another $2billion for the sequel and wanting to expand :lol:

This would be a cheap and easy way to keep the land fresh. I'm thinking that it probably happens at some point, but we'll see.

As for Pandora as a whole, Pandora is one of the most popular things about DAK currently. So while DAK needs more things, i'd personally prefer that they focus on the Dinoland USA plans of revitalizing that area and maybe in the grander scheme of things add a third ride (which was initially rumored to be a coaster when it existed when the land was in the design phase).

What i'm more curious about is that now that Avatar has proven to still be a box office draw all these years after the original film, will Disney build cloned lands (or even just a cloned version of FoP) anywhere? The top two international markets interestingly enough are China (as expected) and France (having generated almost $100M so far). That's two opportunities for theme park integration between SHDL and DLP Resort.
It's definitely coming to both. Pandora will probably take Galaxy's Edge place in the Walt Disney Studios expansion plans. Not sure about where it would go in Shanghai. California's probably getting it as part of Disney Forward.

• Wow
Reactions: alias8703
It's definitely coming to both. Pandora will probably take Galaxy's Edge place in the Walt Disney Studios expansion plans. Not sure about where it would go in Shanghai. California's probably getting it as part of Disney Forward.
“Definitely” is a too confident when they won’t even expand Galaxy’s Edge, although I’ll grant that Avatar is far more popular internationally than Star Wars based on box office.

Out of everything you said, I’m most confident about it going to WDSP as that makes sense since they have an empty plot to fill.

Reactions: Nico
“Definitely” is a too confident when they won’t even expand Galaxy’s Edge, although I’ll grant that Avatar is far more popular internationally than Star Wars based on box office.

Out of everything you said, I’m most confident about it going to WDSP as that makes sense since they have an empty plot to fill.
I think Galaxy's Edge has the unfortunate circumstance of being based on a trilogy that's been largely forgotten about by general audiences and Disney themselves. It doesn't make sense to continue with the current story of the land. Makes things pretty tricky. Avatar doesn't have that.

I think Galaxy's Edge has the unfortunate circumstance of being based on a trilogy that's been largely forgotten about by general audiences and Disney themselves. It doesn't make sense to continue with the current story of the land. Makes things pretty tricky. Avatar doesn't have that.

Also, Pandora is only in AK (obviously) whereas Disney took two body blows when GE missed in two separate parks.

I think Avatar over Star Wars is a lock for DSP. First off the park needs some more green not more brown tones, 2nd though....

For reference French BO

Avatar 1 - 181m (2nd highest grossing movie of all time there)
Avatar 2 - 90m so far on pace to do up to maybe 155 or 3rd biggest all time. Most tickets sold in 11 years in france.

Comparison

MCU
Infinity War - 57
Endgame - 62m
Spider-Man NWH - 70m

Star Wars
Force Awakens - 88.5m
Last Jedi - 65m
Rise of Skywalker - 54m

So Pandora is coming to Paris haha

Reactions: alias8703
I think Avatar over Star Wars is a lock for DSP. First off the park needs some more green not more brown tones, 2nd though....

For reference French BO

Avatar 1 - 181m (2nd highest grossing movie of all time there)
Avatar 2 - 90m so far on pace to do up to maybe 155 or 3rd biggest all time. Most tickets sold in 11 years in france.

Comparison

MCU
Infinity War - 57
Endgame - 62m
Spider-Man NWH - 70m

Star Wars
Force Awakens - 88.5m
Last Jedi - 65m
Rise of Skywalker - 54m

So Pandora is coming to Paris haha

I tend to agree but depends if they want something unique first. I'm hearing more and more rumors about a Lion King land - I believe that was the most sucessfull Disney animation of all time in France. I'd love to see them build both, but Paris seems to be 10 x more expensive to build and open anything than any other Disney park so they always end up cutting corners and doing a half assed job (Apart from the original park where they spent mega bucks and got burned)
An indoor version of Pandora would do great wonders for DLP.
I'd love that! But I think cost might be the issue again, building outside being cheaper.

The success of AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER has me pondering how Disney might expand this land.

Does anybody have a recent overhead view of the area? I'd like to try to get a sense of where an expansion could be put (if Disney wanted).

The success of AVATAR: THE WAY OF WATER has me pondering how Disney might expand this land.

Does anybody have a recent overhead view of the area? I'd like to try to get a sense of where an expansion could be put (if Disney wanted).

To the southeast of Na'Vi, basically behind Flight of Passage. The expansion would connect between River Journey and the restrooms. A pretty decent-sized plot of land, but not enough for a major land expansion itself.

Reactions: belloq87
To the southeast of Na'Vi, basically behind Flight of Passage. The expansion would connect between River Journey and the restrooms. A pretty decent-sized plot of land, but not enough for a major land expansion itself.
It’s enough for a new ride if they so wanted. Rumors a few years ago were a Table Service, but we’ll see.

DAK has more pressing issues, but another attraction could help make the land feel whole. Also, bring back the Mech suits and give us the AA Ikran to make the land feel more alive.

I know the original plans for the land involved a coaster, so presumably this is where it would have gone?