Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Picture of the Day - Everywhere Else

Sand Hill cranes are the best. I always had a couple claim my fenced 4 acre lawn as their own and there would be a whole lot of honking if any other crane couple landed. You could set your clock to their arrival and departure each day.

we've had a few sand hill cranes stop by, but I will have to find a better photo as one of those cranes is missing a foot, it was just something nice to catch. I was surprised when they went to our front yard (after talking with my daughter in the back yard). I believe one of them was trying to speak w/ one of our lawn flamingos.

20200720_b1a.jpgb2.jpg

^ snapping turtle or young gator I wonder?

my first thought was fishing line, but who knows? I found it beautiful while others found it sad...odd... Guess it showed me another side of not judging a book...maybe survival being just a tad more...well, how one manages change.

the critters around here have no shame I tell you!

Attachments

• 20200702_153545 1.jpg
    20200702_153545 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9
my first thought was fishing line, but who knows? I found it beautiful while others found it sad...odd... Guess it showed me another side of not judging a book...maybe survival being just a tad more...well, how one manages change.

the critters around here have no shame I tell you!
Have had a couple of sandhills here for many years. You can set your clock by which yard they will be in when. One (Male?) has a broken beak and could never do the pincer thing but seems to make out OK. Raised many a chick and it never seems to bother them.

Not my picture... but this was taken in Somes Sound about the same time I was taking the pictures above in Somesville here on the island. It is David Geffen’s mega yacht Rising Sun. 454’, 82 rooms. (basically the length from the MK town square down main street usa to the last building)

LczAB2x.jpg

jc3GFAk.jpg

The Tarn - valley between Huguenot Head and Dorr Mountain. This use to be open water until the late 1990’s when a violently hot season spawned the growth of the reeds that now cover the entire basin. National Park service attributes it to climate change. My brother told me it was bottomless when I was 10 years old.

I took an extended walk back to my car after work yesterday:

Edit: Completely hidden.

:cheers:you need to do more of these...like Teebin does. It gives us a nice glimpse into a 'real' Scotland neighborhood, without the facade of travel show highlights. This reminded me
of a long ago trip to England, much of it removed from the beaten tourist paths. :thumbsup:....I just added some more pathways through my woods, and the adjacent woods, this week. Great way to clear
the mind. Every now and then I have a bench, or chair, to stop & sit to enjoy the 'ambiance' of the moment & the surroundings.

Came upon this beautiful wildflower on one of my trail walks in Acadia. I had no idea what it was...

kZS9Hiz.jpg

Searched google images for 15 minutes to discover that it is the Americas native St. John’s Wort! Also discovered that it is indeed cultivated for perennial gardens and prized for it’s flowers.
Probably should keep that stash for yourself, with the state of society today we can all use some anti-depressant so it might get scarce. ;)

Probably should keep that stash for yourself, with the state of society today we can all use some anti-depressant so it might get scarce. ;)

Ha ha... yeah... I read about that in my searches. However, if I got caught by the Nat. Park digging up or cutting a plant on federal property, I might end up in a cell next to Roger Stone... um... :look:

Peeper!
When I moved here 20 years ago I was driving a truck and I stopped at one of the first rest stops in state. The noise out back was incredible at 10pm. When the ditches around here are full of rain they raise so much noise I wonder if my car is falling apart driving in at night. I've been coming to Florida or living here for 62 years and am still amazed at the life that is teeming everywhere.

Last edited:
Getting a real Jurassic Park vibe from this.

nah, we don't get out much, so just the backyard. We left south FL. We use to count the iguanas on the side of the road as a game. The native lizards up here (central FL), well, the seem near extinct in Palm Beach county as they were food to these lizards with curly tails that look so nasty...but here, we have the cute native lizards, my back yard in Palm Beach did have Jesus Lizards though, they are cool, but also non native.

but the sunsets rule!

2020-08-07-priorsunset.jpg

nah, we don't get out much, so just the backyard. We left south FL. We use to count the iguanas on the side of the road as a game. The native lizards up here (central FL), well, the seem near extinct in Palm Beach county as they were food to these lizards with curly tails that look so nasty...but here, we have the cute native lizards, my back yard in Palm Beach did have Jesus Lizards though, they are cool, but also non native.

but the sunsets rule!

View attachment 12943

It reminded me of this shot in partciular.

y5ifyfh1r6811.jpg

That is a gorgeous sun set. A few beers and a rocking chair sounds like a perfect night with that view.

Getting a real Jurassic Park vibe from this.

ah, thanks! accidental and then I thought the comment was on the amphibian and not the bird life. I use to live on the edge of the everglades so I am use to most, the sand cranes are different (to me) though.

i scratched my head when I saw a truly nolan truck (exterminator dressed up like a mouse) at a home (where I know at least one collage aged kid works for a mouse part time).

me, i have cats, and nature has some birds, so I am not sure yet....

20200807_birdie.jpg