Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023) | Page 13 | Inside Universal Forums

Pipeline - SWO Surf Coaster (Spring 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Edit: And lol, Sea World had to include JTA and Kraken VR to lie to their customers again about this being the 7th coaster. In fairness, I would consider JTA if i was marketing, but jesus after all the GotG bs I've seen on yt that seems so much more shitty.

Kraken VR is not another coaster any more than IncrediCoaster is a new credit for Cali Screaming fans.

Reactions: WAJAS
If I think of all the successful models and coasters that B&M has created since the Stand Up 1.0 was invented it gives me hope for this

I think the new seats and the vests will help a whole lot

Although I think it would be fun to have two different trains, one with stand up and one that's transitional

Basically you choose what you want

Reactions: anihilnation
Edit: And lol, Sea World had to include JTA and Kraken VR to lie to their customers again about this being the 7th coaster. In fairness, I would consider JTA if i was marketing, but jesus after all the GotG bs I've seen on yt that seems so much more shitty.
The seven are:
Mako
Kraken
Manta
Ice Breaker
JTA
Grover
This

They’re not double counting Kraken. I have no issue with them including JTA, but also just don’t really care how they count.

The seven are:
Mako
Kraken
Manta
Ice Breaker
JTA
Grover
This

They’re not double counting Kraken. I have no issue with them including JTA, but also just don’t really care how they count.
Totally forgot about Grover tbh. Ok, marketing has been redeemed.

We don't know how comfortable this ride will be yet, that's the whole point. There hasn't been a new standup built in 20 years. We don't know the advancements they made with it. It's way too early to tell.

This is like assuming every new generation Vekoma invert will be uncomfortable just because Vekoma built a bunch of SLC's 20 years ago.

I'm willing to see what happens, but I'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt. I'll repeat that stand up adds absolutely nothing to the ride experience. It is the definition of a gimmick for me. Making it more comfortable won't change the fact that a regular riding position would be as good and probably better. Maybe I'll be proven wrong, but right now that seems unlikely.

Vekoma had to prove they had moved on from rough SLCs over decades of building them. B&M has to do the same.

Last edited:
Finally caught up to things. Considering how much it's been hammered that Friday is just not the day to make an announcement, it's really baffling that SWO decided to announce a brand-new coaster on one.

As for the coaster, I'm not feeling it. Stand-Ups are by and large an uncomfortable Gimmick for your head, groin and legs. And I feel there's a Catch-22 to fixing that, for in order to make things more comfortable you have to sacrifice intensity. So even if you make a Stand-Up comfortable, the coaster won't do much, so you're left with nothing but a Gimmick which never really did much in the first place.

I think it makes sense to add more of a ride with a gimmick to the park, and in some ways it gives the lineup of coasters at Seaworld something unique.

I feel like the GP will eat this up, even though I have insanely low expectations. If the necessary changes are made then it may be passable.

Still feels like a waste of space to me, anyone know roughly how much land this could cover?

Reactions: SeventyOne
It's been a full generation since the last standup coaster opened, and to many it will be a novelty they've never seen before, let alone got to ride.

I'm assuming this will be a big improvement of previous incarnations of standups since it looks like it's more of a seat than they had in the past so loading should be faster (biggest issue with most standups in the past). The idea that the seats will move in some way while the coaster is in motion is intriguing-- and possibly a real game changer.

I have to wonder if this is successful if we'll see existing B&M standup coasters retrofit?

Reactions: Sithina
The gentle layout, the articulated seats, and the vest restraints give me hope that this may give some new life to the stand-ups and be successful

Also, if the launch is anything like Thunderbird then everyone is in for a surprise

Also also, this concept could be easily modified to a traditional two across sit-down design

Aaaand I wouldn't be surprised if a sit down version of this comes to the states before long

It's a lot like an Intamin Blitz, except not closed all the time

Basically the only marketing leg this thing has to stand on is “first of its kind.”
It's a standing coaster so it's actually got 2 legs to stand on. :tease:

Still feels like a waste of space to me, anyone know roughly how much land this could cover?
I took the two slider images from the BGWFans article and placed them fully side by side:

swosurfcoaster.jpg

I know it'll be great to see from the parking lot going in and having guests be drawn to that but I don't think this coaster was worth losing all the trees and shade. Hopefully some of those palm trees are placeholders for shade trees just used for the blueprint. If not then it's going to be real unpleasant during peak summer temps in that area.

Not sure how much effort it would have involved to make this happen but it would've been great if this coaster and Ice Breaker had switched places. I don't think it would've changed the layout of either coaster too much.

swocoasterswtich.jpg

Maybe I missed it but uh... at this point what exactly makes this a "surf coaster"? Do the seats/trains do anything surf-y? Is it just a theme at this point? I feel like I'm suddenly missing something.

Unless someone knows why they didn't do it, I'm a little surprised they didn't touch the lake at all. Even Mako at least dips its toe in near the end. I wouldn't even care if they used the same splash effect like the one on Manta.

Maybe I missed it but uh... at this point what exactly makes this a "surf coaster"? Do the seats/trains do anything surf-y? Is it just a theme at this point? I feel like I'm suddenly missing something.

Unless someone knows why they didn't do it, I'm a little surprised they didn't touch the lake at all. Even Mako at least dips its toe in near the end. I wouldn't even care if they used the same splash effect like the one on Manta.
Judging by the layout it does a lot of maneuvers that are inspired by surfing action...obviously some embellishment is taken, but like the flying coaster, the moves feel very intentional to the feeling they are trying to achieve, the feeling of surfing.

The articulated seats should keep the thing glass smooth and provide a feeling of gliding on air while standing up

I think it will pull off the sensation quite well as someone who bought a Billabong shirt at a local mall kiosk, I know a lot about surfing

As far as the lagoon, I believe they want to keep doing the night show and the coaster pulling a Mako would possibly ruin some space for the fire, fountains, and viewing space

Although I'm with you, it would have been interesting if some of this were over water

The problems with coasters over water often outweigh the cool visuals. All the plans have to be approved with an eye towards any kind of emergency evacuation and getting equipment to the coaster should it get stuck over water. Also there's the issue of people losing articles into the water.

I think this ride will surprise people. It will be a great visual with the launch track running right alongside the front gate area.

The problems with coasters over water often outweigh the cool visuals. All the plans have to be approved with an eye towards any kind of emergency evacuation and getting equipment to the coaster should it get stuck over water. Also there's the issue of people losing articles into the water.

I think this ride will surprise people. It will be a great visual with the launch track running right alongside the front gate area.
That's a good point

And while I think it has more to do with their evening shows in this particular instance, decisions like that are made with safety in mind

Yes, I think this will be a great front door coaster, I especially like the color

Reactions: Darko
I'm really intrigued by this project.

While I was initially disappointed by last week's announcement, after thinking more about the layout elements and the new train rumors it's quite clear that this is going to be a very different experience from all the prior stand-up coasters that garnered such a negative reputation.

This isn't the coaster I would have chosen to add, but I'm really curious to try it and see if they've finally figured out how to make a stand-up that's actually a fun experience.

It's a standing coaster so it's actually got 2 legs to stand on. :tease:
Good point :lol:

swosurfcoaster.jpg
6j1oyv.jpg

I think this is going to be very different than any of the first generation of stand ups. Like Manta mimics the motions of a stingray, this mimics the motions of surfing (except cork screwing the pipeline doesn't really happen). And is a good thematic fit for an aquatic themed park.

Last edited: