Planning a Christmas/New Year's Trip to Seoul - Recommendations for Lotte World vs. Everland? | Inside Universal Forums

Planning a Christmas/New Year's Trip to Seoul - Recommendations for Lotte World vs. Everland?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Oct 26, 2023
Hey all,

I'm heading to Seoul in December to experience Christmas and New Year's there. This will be my first time visiting South Korea. Most importantly, I'm really excited to check out Lotte World and Everland during the holidays - hopefully they'll have some awesome seasonal decorations and events going on.

For those who've been, would you recommend spending more time at Lotte World or Everland? I've heard they're basically the Korean equivalents of Disneyland and Universal Studios. As a huge Harry Potter fan, I'm leaning towards Everland just for Harry Potter World alone. But curious to hear what others think in terms of overall experience and rides at each park.

Also open to any other recommendations for making the most of my trip. Hoping to do some sightseeing in the city as well as try all the tasty Korean BBQ and street food. Drop me a comment if you have any other Seoul must-dos! Can't wait for this adventure.

Been to both....i don't think they compare attraction wise to Universal and Disneyland but both parks have a sheer number of attractions to where you definitely won't be board and feel like you get your monies worth.

Lotte World mostly indoors with a very small outdoor section so I would vote for that especially in December unless you are very good at handling cold weather. The outdoor section has the more thrilling ride while the inside you have one coaster, a indiana jones/dinosaur knockoff ride, and a bunch of flats covering five floors. Lotte World gets ridiculous crowded on weekends so I highly advise you go to the park on a weekday.

Everland doesn't have anything Harry Potter related but it is quite large and spacious. For me Everland is Busch Gardens Tampa meets Busch Gardens Williamsburg. You have the heavily African/Jungle based safari world with too vehicle based animal seeing tours and a rapid rides followed by a large amount of areas based in Europe/America. Everland is a bit outside of Seoul so be prepared for a roughly 1 to 1 and 1/2 hour journey to Yongin via train and bus, then getting on train/bus to the parks. Also for everland, you will need to make sure you have your phone charged as you can only use your tickets via phone (This was as of Feb 2023 when I went last time).

Seoul has so many things to do and see and it really depends on your mood, age, mindset. There is a lot of tourist stuff but if you want to find all the real unique stuff, the locals are key and the best way to meet locals is through the nightlife. Go to the bars and just talk to people and they will be able to tell you all the best food and things.

To reiterate there is no Harry Potter attraction at Everland. How long will you be visiting? If short on time I’d choose Lotte World for reasons mentioned above.

Been to both....i don't think they compare attraction wise to Universal and Disneyland but both parks have a sheer number of attractions to where you definitely won't be board and feel like you get your monies worth.

Lotte World mostly indoors with a very small outdoor section so I would vote for that especially in December unless you are very good at handling cold weather. The outdoor section has the more thrilling ride while the inside you have one coaster, a indiana jones/dinosaur knockoff ride, and a bunch of flats covering five floors. Lotte World gets ridiculous crowded on weekends so I highly advise you go to the park on a weekday.

Everland doesn't have anything Harry Potter related but it is quite large and spacious. For me Everland is Busch Gardens Tampa meets Busch Gardens Williamsburg. You have the heavily African/Jungle based safari world with too vehicle based animal seeing tours and a rapid rides followed by a large amount of areas based in Europe/America. Everland is a bit outside of Seoul so be prepared for a roughly 1 to 1 and 1/2 hour journey to Yongin via train and bus, then getting on train/bus to the parks. Also for everland, you will need to make sure you have your phone charged as you can only use your tickets via phone (This was as of Feb 2023 when I went last time).

Seoul has so many things to do and see and it really depends on your mood, age, mindset. There is a lot of tourist stuff but if you want to find all the real unique stuff, the locals are key and the best way to meet locals is through the nightlife. Go to the bars and just talk to people and they will be able to tell you all the best food and things.

Thanks so much for the tips! That's really helpful info for deciding between the parks. It does sound like Lotte World might be a better option in December since it's more indoor activities. I'll have to look into what special Christmas events they do. Do you have a recommendation for the best places to experience Korean nightlife and meet locals? Always looking to get off the typical tourist track. Appreciate you sharing your insight - it's giving me a lot to consider for planning the trip.

To reiterate there is no Harry Potter attraction at Everland. How long will you be visiting? If short on time I’d choose Lotte World for reasons mentioned above.

Hey malice, thanks for the confirmation on Everland not having any Harry Potter areas. You're right, given my limited time there I think Lotte World makes the most sense. Especially since the article mentioned it's one of the top attractions in Seoul https://gowithguide.com/blog/seoul-tourism-statistics-2023-the-ultimate-guide-5535

As the indoor sections will be nice in December too. Do you have any tips for getting the most out of Lotte World efficiently? Like favorite rides or shows I need to make sure not to miss? Also, any recommendation for what days/times tend to be less crowded if I want to avoid the biggest crowds? Appreciate the advice!

Hey all,

I'm heading to Seoul in December to experience Christmas and New Year's there. This will be my first time visiting South Korea. Most importantly, I'm really excited to check out Lotte World and Everland during the holidays - hopefully they'll have some awesome seasonal decorations and events going on.

For those who've been, would you recommend spending more time at Lotte World or Everland? I've heard they're basically the Korean equivalents of Disneyland and Universal Studios. As a huge Harry Potter fan, I'm leaning towards Everland just for Harry Potter World alone. But curious to hear what others think in terms of overall experience and rides at each park.

Also open to any other recommendations for making the most of my trip. Hoping to do some sightseeing in the city as well as try all the tasty Korean BBQ and street food. Drop me a comment if you have any other Seoul must-dos! Can't wait for this adventure.
If it’s your first time in Korea, especially Seoul, you need to go to the Gyeongbokgung Palace. It’s a major historical landmark and kinda essential, I think. There’s also so cool Christmas village type stuff outside the Palace as well.

If it’s your first time in Korea, especially Seoul, you need to go to the Gyeongbokgung Palace. It’s a major historical landmark and kinda essential, I think. There’s also so cool Christmas village type stuff outside the Palace as well.
Thanks for the recommendation! Gyeongbokgung Palace looks amazing, I'll definitely add that to the itinerary. A Christmas village outside would be so cool to see too. By any chance do you have a sense of how crowded it tends to get at the palace over the holidays? Also wondering if you have a favorite Korean food dish I need to try - I'm really looking forward to exploring the cuisine scene there. Korean BBQ is at the top of my list for sure!

Thanks for the recommendation! Gyeongbokgung Palace looks amazing, I'll definitely add that to the itinerary. A Christmas village outside would be so cool to see too. By any chance do you have a sense of how crowded it tends to get at the palace over the holidays? Also wondering if you have a favorite Korean food dish I need to try - I'm really looking forward to exploring the cuisine scene there. Korean BBQ is at the top of my list for sure!
Korea's best kept secret is jjajangmyeon (noodles in black sauce) with tangsuyuk (sweet and sour pork) and my personal favorite Jjimdak with cheese (glass noodle soy based broth with potatoes chicken carrots onions and smothered with cheese! Can get it spicy or sweet)

Reactions: Jake S
Korea's best kept secret is jjajangmyeon (noodles in black sauce) with tangsuyuk (sweet and sour pork) and my personal favorite Jjimdak with cheese (glass noodle soy based broth with potatoes chicken carrots onions and smothered with cheese! Can get it spicy or sweet)

Those dishes sounds amazing, especially the Jjimdak - I love anything with cheese! Thanks for the food recs, jjajangmyeon and tangsuyuk are now going straight on my list of things to try. :)

Seoul is always busy, lol. I don’t have a good sense of how crowded the Palace gets for the holidays, but Christmas is more of retail holiday than a national holiday here.

One OTHER fun suggestion for the palace: You can rent hanbok (traditional Korean clothing) at numerous places across the street. It’s actually highly appreciated by many Koreans to see tourists in hanbok. They view it as an attempt to appreciate rather than appropriation. It’s actually really cool to do the tour that way.

Regarding food? I am an absolute sucker for bibimbop and (when I can find it) galbi. I actually live in a more rural part of Korea, and don’t eat out as much as I should. But, if you get a chance, I do recommend BHC. It’s a fried chicken place but, I’ll warn you, a single order is like two who chickens. Their cheese-powdered chicken is amazing though.

• Love
Reactions: mimiasho
Regarding food? I am an absolute sucker for bibimbop and (when I can find it) galbi. I actually live in a more rural part of Korea, and don’t eat out as much as I should. But, if you get a chance, I do recommend BHC. It’s a fried chicken place but, I’ll warn you, a single order is like two who chickens. Their cheese-powdered chicken is amazing though.
What is this blaphemsy....everyone knows Kyochon is the chicken to get! And if you are in Pyeongtaek, its all about that Tiba Chicken...

I rarely head into Pyeongtaek proper and never for meals. I also gravitate way more towards Indian / Thai food rather than Korean.

Reactions: Jake S
What is this blaphemsy....everyone knows Kyochon is the chicken to get! And if you are in Pyeongtaek, its all about that Tiba Chicken...
Is this the same Kyochon that’s available in the states? I’m in SoCal and there’s three locations here. I love fried chicken but generally not a fan of Korean fried chicken. I’m a dark meat person and they usually serve the whole bird. I don’t like paying $30+ for a whole bird. Also, they usually rely on sauces for flavor. Without the sauces, it’s pretty bland. It’s like they don’t even salt or brine them. For me, if a naked fried chicken isn’t good on its own, it’s just not good but that’s just me. I also prefer dry rubs over sauces.

Is this the same Kyochon that’s available in the states? I’m in SoCal and there’s three locations here. I love fried chicken but generally not a fan of Korean fried chicken. I’m a dark meat person and they usually serve the whole bird. I don’t like paying $30+ for a whole bird. Also, they usually rely on sauces for flavor. Without the sauces, it’s pretty bland. It’s like they don’t even salt or brine them. For me, if a naked fried chicken isn’t good on its own, it’s just not good but that’s just me. I also prefer dry rubs over sauces.
Same but different...for some reason, it doesn't hit the same stateside but that is also like all the brands that moved over to the states.

Reactions: Stryker
Seoul is always busy, lol. I don’t have a good sense of how crowded the Palace gets for the holidays, but Christmas is more of retail holiday than a national holiday here.

One OTHER fun suggestion for the palace: You can rent hanbok (traditional Korean clothing) at numerous places across the street. It’s actually highly appreciated by many Koreans to see tourists in hanbok. They view it as an attempt to appreciate rather than appropriation. It’s actually really cool to do the tour that way.

Thanks for the additional tips! Renting a hanbok at the palace sounds like such a fun experience, what a cool way to get into the local culture. Taking photos in one would also make for great memories. I'll definitely be sure to try bibimbop and galbi too while I'm there - Korean BBQ is at the top of my list. BHC also sounds delicious, cheese powdered chicken has me intrigued! I'll have to check it out.

I've actually never heard of those chicken places before! Kyochon and Tiba Chicken sound really good. What makes their chicken so tasty? Is it spicy, crunchy, or saucy? Now you got me craving some fried poultry. Where would you recommend is the best location to try them?

I've actually never heard of those chicken places before! Kyochon and Tiba Chicken sound really good. What makes their chicken so tasty? Is it spicy, crunchy, or saucy? Now you got me craving some fried poultry. Where would you recommend is the best location to try them?

Kyochon uses rice flour instead of cornstarch which is part of their claim to fame...its very crispy with a unique texture. Like most Korean Fried Chicken, it can be sauced and I really enjoy the honey garlic chicken but they have a lot of different flavors. I think though if you want to try Kyochon and their best location, you should go to their speakeasy located in Itaewon for its unique environment. Kyochon Pilbang.

Tiba is not a chain but its really well known in an area of Pyeongtaek called Songtan Village. Their chicken is sauced but the meat itself almost reminds me more of eating a turkey leg than chicken with the flavor it has.

But there isn’t actually much to do in Pyeongtaek, so don’t make a special trip down here for chicken.

Congratulations on getting married! Japan sounds like an amazing place for a honeymoon. I hope you both have a wonderful trip and enjoy all the theme parks and sights. Taking some photos along the way is a great idea. Wishing you both the best time celebrating and relaxing on your honeymoon!
Hey all,