Planning a non-existent trip | Inside Universal Forums

Planning a non-existent trip

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 21, 2014
I've never been to Universal and am SOOOO eager to get there. I've been stalking these boards like crazy and still have a lot to learn. We don't have an actual trip planned but when we do - it will be the busy season - either spring break or summer. (kids are 15 and 11 now)

What I WANT to do is tag on a trip to a really great beach as part of the trip. Whenever we've gone to WDW in the past we've only stayed at WDW but it sounds like if I get the 3 days for the price of 2 at Universal, we'll have plenty of time to explore - especially if we stay onsite for early entry and front of line access. (See I forgot the name of it already...at least I know it's not FastPass.)

I'll have more questions (obviously!) but right now I'm wondering a few things:
- I've heard that Clearwater beach is awesome - seen pictures with the great water and white sand. Are there any other beaches I should consider that are also fabulous? Maybe some that are closer to Orlando?
- Assuming we do this, I think what makes sense is for us to only rent a car when we go to the beach b/c there's no reason to pay for parking at Universal since everything is close anyway. Am I missing anything there?
- Finally, I'm really, really, really hoping to catch another Ebates deal that gives 20% back on entertainment tickets. I read on a board that they did that last February (maybe for just one day?) I'm a new Ebates member and if anyone has insight into how often that rolls around (or was it a fluke, one time thing) - I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks! Even though this trip is probably 1.5-2 years away, I love to plan and I'm SO READY to see Diagon Alley and Hogwarts. If I'm heading in any wrong directions or not considering something critical, I'd love to hear about it. In the meantime I'll keep stalking. :happy:

Well you came to the right place :lol:

In 1-1/2 to 2 years you might have to alter your plans with how fats Universal is building these days so keep that in mind also. :happy:

You will def need a car if you want to go to a beach and really are in the center of FL so I don't think its much of a drive which ever coast you may choose. Sadly im no help with which beach, if you were looking for one in South Florida id be able to help more. I tend to hear the beaches on the west coast are nicer than ours here on the east dont have much to back that up with.

well, clearwater is on the west coast so that would make sense I guess! Yes - Universal definitely seems to have WDW beat in terms of building stuff, right??

IMHO the beaches on the Gulf coast are nicer than those on the Atlantic. I believe that is what you were referring to, and of which Clearwater would be the most direct but it would be about a 2 hour car ride. Compare that to jumping on the Beachline Expressway and you can get to Cocoa Beach on the Atlantic coast in about an hour. So it is up to your preferences, and what you may want to do while there.

good to know.... I think my kids would really love a top notch beach but I'll keep that in mind! At least we're from Tx so a 2 hour car trip is really nothing too alarming for us. :)

St. Pete Beach/Clearwater Beach is nice. I love The Don CeSar Hotel in St. Pete Beach. It is one of the last "Grand Dame" beach resorts left in the country. The Breakers in Palm Beach, The Hotel del Coronado in San Diego, and the Don are all that's left. If you can swing the bucks, it's worth it. It's like visiting Florida circa 1915. And it's a Loews Resort, so service and amenities are top shelf.

119And2more_tonemapped-Edit2-XL.jpg

Last edited:
If that doesn't work out- check into the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. We usually go thru VRBO to get a condo there. They also have townhomes and houses. In all different price ranges. And the Baytowne Wharf area is such fun and very family friendly. You see teens and tweens roaming without parents all the time, and they love that!

Sandestin is in the Destin area, on the Gulf. Not sure how far of a drive that would be, but there is an airport you can go back to Texas from somewhere around there.

Hope that helps!

If that doesn't work out- check into the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. We usually go thru VRBO to get a condo there. They also have townhomes and houses. In all different price ranges. And the Baytowne Wharf area is such fun and very family friendly. You see teens and tweens roaming without parents all the time, and they love that!

Sandestin is in the Destin area, on the Gulf. Not sure how far of a drive that would be, but there is an airport you can go back to Texas from somewhere around there.

Hope that helps!

Thanks!