Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Please say something logical... Fallon isn't going to fail. He might fall down and kill himself but he isn't going to fail at being a host any time soon.
Exactly. His two predecessors, Carson & Leno, were on for around 50 years. Except for Conan, and he barely counts, there's precedent for longevity.

I honestly dont understand how someone, even if they are a fan of Fallon, can be supportive of this project if they have been to Universal recently. I think of myself to be an open-minded person that can see both sides of an argument but this seems to be a bad move. "Seems" because we dont really know much about the ride yet. However, since it seems it will be screen based, that's the problem. I know this doesn't apply to everyone but my brother wears glasses and wearing 3D glasses on top of his prescription lenses annoys him, especially when its so often. I'm sure others feel the same way.

I would've rather them done a "The tale of Buddy the Elf" ride and use an omnimover or slow type vehicle retelling the story of Buddy traveling from the North Pole to NYC to look for his dad.

I would freakin' love an Elf attraction. :lol: Not a Universal property but one of my favorites.

Anyway, I wear prescription glasses and can't say the 3D glasses bother me at all.

I honestly dont understand how someone, even if they are a fan of Fallon, can be supportive of this project if they have been to Universal recently. I think of myself to be an open-minded person that can see both sides of an argument but this seems to be a bad move. "Seems" because we dont really know much about the ride yet. However, since it seems it will be screen based, that's the problem. I know this doesn't apply to everyone but my brother wears glasses and wearing 3D glasses on top of his prescription lenses annoys him, especially when its so often. I'm sure others feel the same way.

I would've rather them done a "The tale of Buddy the Elf" ride and use an omnimover or slow type vehicle retelling the story of Buddy traveling from the North Pole to NYC to look for his dad.
I wish they would have done that for despicable me.

I think Fallon could be really fun, though. And I'm about the biggest critic of screens and 3D.

If someone would read the article of the announcement you can see that the UC person even makes fun of getting the job. Think how you would make a fun C ride attraction. A studio tour with AA's?
Reading what they are going to do it's the best use of technology to have you attend a taping of Jimmy Fallon. Recreating the small studio in detail and having the actual performers there on glass projection. Then break out of the theater to race trough New York to show you the beauty of the city and have breaks with other guests.
I think it's quite smart and I have no clue how this job could be done better.
Sure if you don't care for Fallon and rather have Oprah in there it's not for you.
Sure if you don't care for New York and rather have Davenport Florida you won't be satisfied.
But within the contexts of the requirements it's going to be a sweet little ride.

I will say that our next podcast should be interesting because all 3 of us have different views on the attraction.

If someone would read the article of the announcement you can see that the UC person even makes fun of getting the job.

The first few lines of how the project started actually makes sense since that's what a lot of us with some connections heard for a while. In fact, our podcast with Theme Park Insider's Robert Niles from about 2 months discusses that exact same scenario. :lol:

im for it because i think it fits the NY theme and will probably be pretty funny and i think it will be a much better experience than what we have now

plus the ride system is interesting
to me its more about the experience than just being about Fallon

Because some people just don't care. If a ride is fun, it's fun, they're not freaking dissecting the portfolio of attractions at the parks. It probably wouldn't even occur to me (much less bother me) beyond some being some statistic in the back of my head if so many of you didn't yap and/or whine about it so much. The only thing that even MILDLY concerns me about Fallon is that it MIGHT be SOMEWHAT similar to Despicable Me, but let's get real here, I think Universal Creative deserves a little more credit than to think they would do something too similar.

Reactions: Mad Dog
oh look! A new screens thread!

If I can say one nice thing about Fallon, is that is actually fits the theme of Universal "STUDIOS", which hasn't been the case for a while.

This will most likely be a love it/hate it attraction depending on your sense of humor.

Personally, I would have preferred an all new ghostbusters stunt show, or something that was a "classic" movie, but I know I'm in the minority.

Reactions: UNIrd
Because some people just don't care. If a ride is fun, it's fun, they're not freaking dissecting the portfolio of attractions at the parks. It probably wouldn't even occur to me (much less bother me) beyond some being some statistic in the back of my head if so many of you didn't yap and/or whine about it so much. The only thing that even MILDLY concerns me about Fallon is that it MIGHT be SOMEWHAT similar to Despicable Me, but let's get real here, I think Universal Creative deserves a little more credit than to think they would do something too similar.

There are many general guests that have noticed Transformers and Spider man being alike. I could care less, I like both. But I have heard this complaint from normal guests who are not Theme Park geeks. I have also heard that there are too many rides they have to put glasses on. I know several families that will not go to Uni or will not go as often for various reasons and this is one of them. My husband and my in-laws like Disney way better than Uni and those are just some of the reasons. I am very outnumbered amongst my family and friends when it comes to Uni love. I am the only Theme Park geek (always have been, I wrote papers on the history of Kennywood when I was in grade school). So a lot of my comments comes from the perspective of a normal guest more than a theme park geek.

I don't need to poll the "general public" about screens. I just ask my wife. She's not a fan of movie simulators. They give her motion sickness. I basically have to convince her to ride Spiderman every time in the park. She's a coaster person. She'd rather get really dizzy on a carnival ride than nauseas on a movie ride .

We can quote anecdotal evidence or personal stories from friends and family all we want. The hard facts are this: Universal had its best summer EVER this year. If people are tiring on "screens", the numbers aren't backing it up. Until they do, it's safe to assume the general guests just doesn't care all that much.

Reactions: *Q*
We can quote anecdotal evidence or personal stories from friends and family all we want. The hard facts are this: Universal had its best summer EVER this year. If people are tiring on "screens", the numbers aren't backing it up. Until they do, it's safe to assume the general guests just doesn't care all that much.

OK, then shouldn't we also say that what Disney is doing is successful since they had better numbers this year than last? But we all know that is not true. We also know that HP was going to bring in a ton of people since last summer it opened so late and not a lot of advertising was done to bring in people last summer. So it is no shocker from anyone on this site that Universal had a record breaking year.

All I am saying is that eventually this type of stuff will catch up to them. I am saying new rides in Studios especially need to probably rely less on 3D and simulators and more on sets and those types of things. I also think this was probably the best ride for this location, but maybe FF should have been done a little different. If they get rid of Shrek it might help a little too. But of course they need to replace it with a non screen/simulator type ride.

OK, then shouldn't we also say that what Disney is doing is successful since they had better numbers this year than last?

What Disney is doing, overall, IS SUCCESSFUL. :tongue: I don't like what Disney has been doing, but you can't say it's NOT successful.

To piggyback a bit: the problem is that success -- that is, financial success -- has been Disney's only endgame for a while now. Nearly every decision that has been made in the last, say, 10 years has had the sole purpose of either increasing revenue or decreasing costs. All of this has been at the expense of the quality and standard that was long associated with Disney. It seems like Disney is finally re-investing in WDW now that MyMagic+ and Shanghai are starting to wrap up, but they clearly continue to make similar decisions as before.

Reactions: blue180