Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon | Page 49 | Inside Universal Forums

Race Through NY Starring Jimmy Fallon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think it is going to have some surprises. They would not need to rip out the building to the point of seeing it if it was going to be a simple simulator with only screen gags.

They could of gone really cheap and just converted the main area and gave gutted and redecorated preshow areas. So I am grateful.

Reactions: Ryno27 and Mike S
It will be interesting to see if it's as relaxed as Soarin' or a bit more intense but given the ride system, I don't see how.
Earlier in the thread Teebs was somewhat comparing it to the BGW ride system. That one is actually a bit intense. If that's it, it could recreate a racing effect pretty good. I was on it when it had a film that had you riding in a pouch ( you had been shrunk to the size of a leprechaun) on a unicorn. And it really felt like you were racing on a fast bumpy galloping horse like creature.

Earlier in the thread Teebs was somewhat comparing it to the BGW ride system. That one is actually a bit intense. If that's it, it could recreate a racing effect pretty good. I was on it when it had a film that had you riding in a pouch ( you had been shrunk to the size of a leprechaun) on a unicorn. And it really felt like you were racing on a fast bumpy galloping horse like creature.

I was really hoping you were going to say a pouch on a kangaroo there. It sounds promising.

Reactions: Mike S

That ride system is garbage, though.

And what they seem to be building doesn't match up with that.

Oh god they had one of those ride systems in the basement of the Excalibur here in Vegas. I remember riding it and the entire experience was bizarre. The simulator entrance doors were wooden with round knobs that the ride op had to personally open with a key for every guest. The simulator base was large, bulky and I believe at that time used a long lapbar instead of seat belts. And the movement felt like you were seating on an unstable set of school bleachers floating thru space. Some insanely rickety movement, it would've been a perfect simulator to input some rough wooden coaster as a ridefilm. (IIRC the ridefilm was called "Storm Rider" [yup] and put riders in the place of a raindrop... it ended by being eaten by a gator) This was the late 90s/early 00s... definitely the junkiest sim I've ever ridden even considering last year when I rode the rotting remains of Trumbull's IMAX simulator at the Adventuredome.

Haven't been on Corkscrew Hill/Europe in the Air but I believe that's just a slightly more advanced version of that same simulator base, not surprised to hear it's still kinda garbage.

I think Fallon is going to be three tiered large bases, like Simpsons without the separate pods.

I remember going on a simulator at Excalibur year ago, but it used Showscan instead of an actual moving simulator. The effect was uncanny (it was a runaway train down the side of an alpine mountain) but in reality the seats didn't move at all, just vibrated. The 70mm film at 70fps created the illusion of movement. Close your eyes and it all stopped.

Reactions: Ryan
I think it's because they had so many people working on Kong and Hulk, and now those are close to be finished and now they're concentrating construction on Studios.
I think a lot of the Kong/Hulk guys will end up over at Volcano Bay tbh (along with some to Fallon). At least to get the bulk of the hard work done, then a lot of people will likely go to F&F.

I remember Corkscrew Hill! I quite liked it and didn't find anything wrong with the ride system. Haven't been on Europe in the Air but I imagine it'd be quite like Soarin' Around the World?

Reactions: kingcooger
Personally throwing it out there, but something has come to mind.

Could the second floor of the building become a loading bay, as when the simulator starts; the seats move to a vertical position and shifts up and down, like how the Dynamic Attractions Flying Theatres are handled?

EDIT: The thought comes to me also, as @Teebin said in the past; they had the Queueless line in the ideas a long time ago. What if the ride itself, is two floors. The first floor, is the botton portion of the screen; and having a form of line that for dead seasons, can become queueless; and act as an Museum of NBCUniversal TV shows. You could have props from SNL, Battlestar, E.T.C. as you have a reservation system active for that time of the year. Then, when its a more busier time of the year; you could allow a full line, quickly assembled by the use of poles and chain fences.

Then the second floor, would be the main Pre-Show; the load for the ride system and the rest of the screen.

And of-course, a way to get the people up to the second, and down to the Gift shop. I'm just curious if this could be the case; as it could add an incentive to go in there, regardless if your wanting to ride it in the slow seasons.

Last edited: