Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Ready Player One

I really wonder where Spielburg goes after this. It was starting to look like he was losing his touch, but he might have gotten it back again with RPO.

He is currently tasked to direct Indy 5 (which will begin Production in April of 2019 for a 2020 release).

Besides that, he has West Side Story as his next major film project. And if RP1 is a success, I wouldn't be surprised if he is offered of coming back on to the directors chair for the Ready Player One sequel (WHICH IS NOT ARMADA).

According to Spielberg, all of the major studios were very cooperative and helpful with lending their IPs to the film. Not saying that that list is correct but it doesn't seem like they ran into any major road blocks with acquiring the cameos.

Seems like for the cameos being used, they'll be used in the ways that are best suited for the film.

Movie was fine, but it suffered from studio interference and also was all over the place at some parts (the second challenge was the best part of the whole movie - audience loved it as did I). Definitely lacked that Spielberg magic though... interesting take.

If i were a casual movie goer I'd say i got my money's worth, but its a wait for DVD for me.

Yeah I thought it was okay at best, and yes the second challenge scene is easily the best part. There were some moments where it felt like a 80s adventure movie throwback, complete with a very nice authentic-to-period Alan Silvestri score, but it had some definite messy moments, especially in regards to the plot.

Halliday was especially an unfortunate aspect as he is such a stigmatized stereotype and extremely problematic at the same time, but very little is done to condemn him but instead write it off as "what could've been". Left a poor taste in my mouth in that way.

Wade and Samantha's romance is bizarrely handled... she states she has an ethical and moral obligation but we just find out she's sensitive about a rather mundane birthmark on her face. And that confession of love I guess ain't so creepy anymore?

The IOI villains though, LMAO. The entire third act tries to balance the stakes but goes in such a ridiculous manner that I couldn't help to roll my eyes. Not only is mining suspense off of Wade literally trying to accomplish a post-game reward sequence but the fact that Nolan and his henchwoman actually keep trying to kill the dude when THE ENTIRE THING IS BEING BROADCAST WORLDWIDE AND NOLAN IS AWARE OF THIS, is stunningly hilarious. Also when easily hundreds of people try to confront Nolan, but step out of his way because he has a gun (HUNDREDS OF PEOPLE) and is apparently ready to MURDER WADE with a bunch of kids in plain sight, with a un-corrupt and existing police force that just conveniently doesn't show up until the very end despite pure chaos in Columbus... I was eye roll city with how forced this was.

Oh yea, not to mention when they trick Nolan into thinking he's not in the Oasis and it takes him way, way too long to check if he's still wearing his damn helmet visor. I just... I just couldn't.

But when the film wants to just dumb, rollicking fun and can actually accomplish that without being absurdly idiotic, it's enjoyable. The pop culture is not nearly as bad as the book. I dunno, it's a mixed bag.

Did the film have reshoots? It felt like it did. For example when Wade explains who he is off the start the narration feels a bit forced.... then he literally repeats the EXACT SAME THING when his aunt was being harassed. Like I said I feel studio interference (WB is notorious for this and i condemn their new president for it) was really blatant here.

Did the film have reshoots? It felt like it did. For example when Wade explains who he is off the start the narration feels a bit forced.... then he literally repeats the EXACT SAME THING when his aunt was being harassed. Like I said I feel studio interference (WB is notorious for this and i condemn their new president for it) was really blatant here.

There were heavy reshoots. I too noticed the repetition of information that reeked of taped together scenes (it happens quite a bit later in the cut, too, as they discuss Adventure).

Second challenge was easily the most inspired bit (unsurprisingly wasn't in the book).

There were heavy reshoots. I too noticed the repetition of information that reeked of taped together scenes (it happens quite a bit later in the cut, too, as they discuss Adventure).

Yeah, this heavily felt like it. Because

The girl at IOI deduces it's Adventure because of the first easter egg... but not that the key is unlocked by FINDING THE EASTER EGG, which just feels dumb. It just felt sloppy especially after the magical answer comes thru which she should've known in the first place.

Yeah, this heavily felt like it. Because

The girl at IOI deduces it's Adventure because of the first easter egg... but not that the key is unlocked by FINDING THE EASTER EGG, which just feels dumb. It just felt sloppy especially after the magical answer comes thru which she should've known in the first place.

Yeah that straight-up baffled me. She literally names the special thing about it and doesn't think to try it.

3-Day opening weekend of $41M. 4-Day at $53M.

Tron: Legacy is actually a very good comp domestically. Legacy’s 3-day open was $44M and both draw heavily off of nostalgia and video games.

I mentioned this on the other thread but I loved the movie too. Sure there are things here and there that make it uneven, but most movies are like that. It was just a really fun time and everyone I talk to seems to think one of two things.....(1) they should make a video game of this......or (2) Universal should make a ride of the first action scene.

Which was considered to be an underperformer, actually. Let's see how RPO's legs are.

Tron Legacy was a failure at those numbers - and RPO's actually pale with inflation taken into account. They're trying hard to spin this but it isn't really a rosy opening.