Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos

We are One is great, yes, I personally feel the ToL music is a step up...However, it's all opinion isn't it

The “Journey” one with the deer and eagle is my absolute favorite and it made me cry more than I’d like to admit upon first viewing lol. It’s “We Are One”-tier without words. Iconic.

The new show... my god. What a train wreck.

Basically took the original score and chopped it up and awkwardly threw in Disney clips and changed the narration.

They also removed all the crazy intricate and layered projection mapping scenes and replacing them with simple projection mapping on the flat backgrounds in the background.

I can’t get over how bad the transitions are... simply terrible.

The finale is good, once you get past one of the worst night show transitions in history to get to it.

Basically took the original score and chopped it up and awkwardly threw in Disney clips and changed the narration.

They also removed all the crazy intricate and layered projection mapping scenes and replacing them with simple projection mapping on the flat backgrounds in the background.

The finale is good, once you get past one of the worst night show transitions in history to get to it.

So in essence..they Jungle Book'ed it.

Well. Just as I thought. Trash.

:ugh:

I was trying to figure out whether or not it felt weird because I saw the original iteration or if it was just weird in general

Shoulda just scrapped it and started over, but I'm sure the budget didn't allow

*Watches a video of the new show*

So a little while back, I said these things...

"We all knew the additions of IP were coming, though unfortunately this is sounding less like a 2.0 overhaul and more of "Welp, let's slap the IP right on there to make it work somehow."."

"Same, and I agree with what you said on twitter that it feels like RoL shows it's hand way too early. An because of that, it feels like the show has no idea where to go once it does."

"I recall seeing a comment somewhere which sums things up rather thusly, Chapek is Pressler 2.0."

So for the first quote, I was right this is less like a 2.0 overhaul, in fact it's not even close to being a 2.0 of anything. But I was dead wrong on the second part, for this is "Let's slap IP in the show with no rhyme or reason at all." Right off the bat in the first minute or two of the show, they're showing a barrage of clips which don't fit the medley of songs they're playing. An that alone sums up how botched the show is.

Which brings up the second quote, while the 1st RoL showed it's hand too early and didn't know where to go...it at least had a semblance of a idea. This show has no idea period, it's just lost except for the few sections that were carried on from the first show. (Barring any IP slapped into them.)

As for my third quote, I think Chapek is more then a Pressler 2.0 at this point. They took a "meh" show with no IP, and made it far worse -with- the addition of IP's. That's a feat right there, but not in a good way.

I think Disney really doesn't know what to do with this show. It was an ambitious show to start that was never fully realized with many aspects never making final cut. Now, I don't think there's much to save this show at all anymore without adding new floats or some sort of new story to the show. Just throwing IP at the wall does nothing to solve the problem.

Just got home from DAK. That was ... woof.

I know I’m in the minority, having enjoyed RoL as much as I did, but I recognize it’s faults: it had some issues with cohesion and projection clarity and such.

And this just..multiplied the problems and created new ones. Projection quality was all over the place, media content was lazy in design and execution, and the show was just really, really choppy. It had 3 endings!

It just makes me sad when Disney doesn’t trust its creative. It makes for a worse product and an “I told you so” mentality that stifles great, original concepts down the road.

They should have just world of colored this thing from the beginning. They could have installed even larger fountains with the amount of money they wasted. They wouldn't have even needed the elaborate fountain lowering system. They could have also just hired drivers for the rafts but you know how much Disney loathes having to pay actual people.

Any lover of the the show could tell you that it had some faults. Rather than fix them, they plussed out some concepts that actually work well now (like the new rain scene and inclusion of circle of life), but completely abandoned any semblance of cadence, structure, transition, story, and cohesion. The show has lost its voice and it’s truly heartbreaking for me... The We Are One reprise seriously hurt me to listen to. I am very disappointed in Disney yet again.

Any lover of the the show could tell you that it had some faults. Rather than fix them, they plussed out some concepts that actually work well now (like the new rain scene and inclusion of circle of life), but completely abandoned any semblance of cadence, structure, transition, story, and cohesion. The show has lost its voice and it’s truly heartbreaking for me... The We Are One reprise seriously hurt me to listen to. I am very disappointed in Disney yet again.

Yes the rain interlude was my favorite addition! But, again, it was horribly misplaced in the show.

Just got home from DAK. That was ... woof.

I know I’m in the minority, having enjoyed RoL as much as I did, but I recognize it’s faults: it had some issues with cohesion and projection clarity and such.

And this just..multiplied the problems and created new ones. Projection quality was all over the place, media content was lazy in design and execution, and the show was just really, really choppy. It had 3 endings!

It just makes me sad when Disney doesn’t trust its creative. It makes for a worse product and an “I told you so” mentality that stifles great, original concepts down the road.

I don’t think you’re in the minority at all. Maybe in the minority on fan sites, but as we all know, that doesn’t translate to real life and the GP.

I really enjoyed RoL. I do not enjoy this. Be careful for what you wish for. This gives me no faith for the future Epcot show.

A personal quip- Lion King music is so iconic, but they are really overusing it at DAK. It should stick to the Lion King show and ToL. To add it to a third spot creates the potential for over saturation.

I think Disney really doesn't know what to do with this show. It was an ambitious show to start that was never fully realized with many aspects never making final cut. Now, I don't think there's much to save this show at all anymore without adding new floats or some sort of new story to the show. Just throwing IP at the wall does nothing to solve the problem.
It can work with IPs...It just needs to be redone in my opinion...This show seems like they're trying to keep one foot in the IP pool and one foot in the originally intended show pool...What we get is a chaotic tone

Honestly...It still baffles me how much better the ToL projection show is and how it works in IP while at the same time tying in the vision behind DAK

It can work with IPs...It just needs to be redone in my opinion...This show seems like they're trying to keep one foot in the IP pool and one foot in the originally intended show pool...What we get is a chaotic tone

Honestly...It still baffles me how much better the ToL projection show is and how it works in IP while at the same time tying in the vision behind DAK
Of course it *could* work with IPs, but just changing what is projected isn’t the way to do it.

RoL fails with infrastructure. It needs to vastly improve what it has otherwise it'll always be D tier level. Adding Simba will do nothing for it.

RoL fails with infrastructure. It needs to vastly improve what it has otherwise it'll always be D tier level. Adding Simba will do nothing for it.
I have a feeling adding Simba will improve GSATs, which is what Disney truly cares about.