Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Rivers of Light General Discussion and Photos

I think it might go the other way, it's such a weak show that adding it randomly won't do anything especially. It's just... bad.
I mean, we can hope. If it does get worse GSATs (or they don’t improve), then the show is toast.

Honestly, they could add Simba to every scene and it wouldn’t make a difference. You can’t make out half the projections anyway lol.

The long distance, rear-projected water screens are simply not providing the level of video clarity they need. (Among other issues)

I have a feeling adding Simba will improve GSATs, which is what Disney truly cares about.
The problem is Disney at times is just lazy any will try to add something popular vs spending that money on actually improving the show.

RoL fails with infrastructure. It needs to vastly improve what it has otherwise it'll always be D tier level. Adding Simba will do nothing for it.
I’d personally disagree with that. In fact, I think the better parts of this version (Parade of the Animal Spirits 2.0 & Thunderstorm/Rainbow) show exactly how this infrastructure can and should be used to make a fantastic show. Unfortunately, there are 13 other minutes in the show.

I’d personally disagree with that. In fact, I think the better parts of this version (Parade of the Animal Spirits 2.0 & Thunderstorm/Rainbow) show exactly how this infrastructure can and should be used to make a fantastic show. Unfortunately, there are 13 other minutes in the show.
I agree and I think it shows that we never truly got the full version, which was to be far more grand in scale. The infrastructure isn't being fully utilized right now imo. Of course the mist screens have always resulted in blurry/poor projection quality, so that's obviously something they have to focus on.

Was at DAK tonight, only passed by the show, didn’t watch it. That’s an important distinction for what I’m about to say. I didn’t mind what I saw. The individual parts looked fine, but it also looked like it didn’t mesh well. Again, I didn’t sit through it though.

I DID watch the new Lion King addition to the Tree of Life show. Looked great and fit the park well. It was generally subtle, but still added the LK bits in here and there and was a fun little distraction on the way to our Everest FP.

Yup new show is worse. The amount of money they need to fix this requires more infrastructure and is not going to be cheap. I give it a year before they cough up the money.

I can only assume we’ll be getting a new RoL with the whole park getting a holiday overlay this winter. That could potentially be a turning point for the show.

I can only assume we’ll be getting a new RoL with the whole park getting a holiday overlay this winter. That could potentially be a turning point for the show.
Mind you, this is coming with zero info whatsoever, but, that would be amazing. The lack of iconic status would make RoL a perfect target for seasonal overlays. As proven by We Are One, it is not too difficult to reshuffle the cards.

Not that I think, or have any info, saying this will happen, but I hope it does.

So I had seen RoL back in April and I really enjoyed it. We had been back to Disney several times since but never watched RoL. Saw it for the first time since over New Years. Whoa buddy. What happened?! This new version was so lackluster.

They have a great song with “we are one” and they totally waste it in this version. Ironically this version is called “we are one” and the song is shorter and is fighting for time with “circle of life.”

I was so bored halfway through my mind started wondering about how I would go about fixing it. I kept coming back to use Pocahontas as a narrator and to drive the narrative. Through in some “colors of the wind.”

And if you are going to use IPs why not use Scar? Play “Be Prepared” and have that act as the “villain” portion of the show like Wishes had.

I dunno, just very underwhelmed especially since I rather enjoyed the earlier version.

Finally saw the new version yesterday and it still blows. The biggest problem I have is the water projection technology. I have great eyesight (20/10 vision) and even I could barely see what was happening on the left fountain. Granted, it was a 6:30 show and I was in the standby section, but it was still dark by the end and the projections were only slightly visible. They need to just switch to the fountains and projectors used in Fantasmic/World of Color.

Also, it's time to just ditch the floats and go for a fountain bonanza a la World of Color/Cinematic Celebration. The animal floats are barely used now and the flowers limit the water dancing.

I did appreciate Disney chopping off 10 mins from the length. The prior 30 min version just felt like a real drag at times. The song "We Are One" is still great too.

Saw it in November. Couldn't believe a show could be that boring. Worst Disney/Universal night show I've ever seen. In contrast, the Christmas venues Tree of Life shows, right next door, were awesome. What a difference.

Rot in hell RoL!
When we walked past it in November, on our way to the very good upcoming Tree of Life Holiday Show, we stopped and watched from the bridge. Not many things in Disney or Universal that I don't like. I'm easy to please.
But that was, by far, the most boring show I've ever seen. Forgettable except for how bad it was. ....It's in my Hall of Shame along with Fear Factor Live, F&F, Stitch, and Primevil World.

Never saw it, don't care that it's gone, lol that they'd rather write off the boats than continue, I'm sure those stone benches will come in handy for absolutely nothing.

I’m glad I got to see it with my family on our trip in January. I thought the music was good, no where near the best Disney show but my parents enjoyed it. RIP.

The music was so good. The show had so much potential but it felt like they never knew what they wanted it to be. A show about conservation or a celebration of Disney animals? They needed to pick a lane.

what they need to do is bring the WoC tech from DCA. But that costs money so that’s not happening anytime soon.