SeaWorld San Diego | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

SeaWorld San Diego

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
SeaWorld announced they JUST broke ground on the Ocean Explorers dark ride (they have not even started demo yet) and somehow still maintain the Spring 2016 opening date. Fingers crossed on this one.

The Ocean Explorer attraction "Submarine Quest" won't be a dark ride. It's primarily an outdoor attraction that will go through one or two small aquarium buildings. The load/ unload will utilize the current Animal Connections barn (formerly Clydesdale Hamlet). Construction walls will go up right after Labor Day. There will be a wave swinger ride themed to a jellyfish and two other rides meant for small children. Animals featured include eels and octopuses.

The Master Plan allows attractions up to half the height of the Skytower (180 feet).

Disclosure: current Ambassador.

There was a video of the ground breaking on Facebook (which I can't seem to find and post), but it appears they are redoing the Hospitality House/stables are of the park and it looks like possibly using the old stables as the building for the dark ride. Interesting thought, and I wonder if Orlando might be considering the same thing? Those stables were fairly large buildings...

According to Screamscape, the new coaster for 2018 may have been leaked. Apparently it will be a "Tempesto" compact steel launch coaster. 

http://www.screamscape.com/html/seaworld_california.htm

While it looks like a fun ride, really wish we could've gotten more. I am curious as to how they will have gotten around the 40ft height restriction. 

Underground queue and launch. Maybe they could place the launch underneath some sort of aquarium. 

Reactions: chris.g
I don't believe the Busch Gardens chain has ever used VR on coasters, have they?  In any case, as you mention capacity is poor enough on those as it is, I can't imagine they would.

While not my favorite ride, it's an interesting addition to Sea World, and does hit more of that "thrill ride" component the park was lacking.

With One Ocean now closed, they aren't losing time of not taking down the stadium...

swsd3_orig.jpg

http://www.parkjourney.com/seaworldbusch-parks/seaworld-san-diego-wasting-no-time-removing-shamu-stadium

I hope the four rotating screens are stored somewhere and re-purposed for some future attraction. SeaWorld needs to find money where it can, and it would be stupid of them to throw away screens with a high value.

Here is a video of the new Orca Encounter. I got a chance to see it in person and I very much enjoyed it. I liked it a lot more than One Ocean, and it does a great job of showing off the whales in an educational way.

I also got to see the new Ocean Explorer area which was pretty well done. Submarine Quest is not finished yet and the aquariums are missing some animals. But the theming is decent and it adds much needed rides to the park, and it is much better than what was there before.