Second Ferry Dock at TTC | Inside Universal Forums

Second Ferry Dock at TTC

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 14, 2010
WDWMagic is reporting that a second ferry boat loading dock is under construction at the TTC. They have some construction pictures to go with it.

It is an interesting idea, except for the fact that if you can go twice as fast on one side then the other logic would dictate that you'll just be waiting to dock on the other side.

Will you be waiting though?

They can run at max 3 ferries. So at any one time you can have one unloading, one in transit, and one loading at the other dock. It's not like they are very short trips across the lagoon.

They have had two docks at TTC and Kingdom and are just upgrading them with fully functional ramps to match the main docks. This is supposed to be in preparation for adding a fourth ferry boat eventually as well as allowing them to dock and load multiple boats at the same time quickly and easily. The secondary docks were removed a few weeks ago while the new dock pieces were being assembled on the shore across form the Grand Flo, next tot he canal. Now all those pieces are ready, they will start driving the pilings.

Will you be waiting though?

They can run at max 3 ferries. So at any one time you can have one unloading, one in transit, and one loading at the other dock. It's not like they are very short trips across the lagoon.

That is the theory they run under now. The problem is when you have one unloading at MK, and one in transit it gets there before they are done unloading. The second dock at TTC does nothing to help that side, you have one unloading and one sitting in the water, just like you do now. The issue is made worse by the fact that if two ferries are docked at TTC when one fills they go right to loading the second (unlike now where the one there has to undock, leave and the other one comes in and docks before anyone loads). So this means the one that is sitting there waiting for the single MK slot to be open left sooner then it would if TTC only had one slot, so it will be sitting out in the water longer.

They have had two docks at TTC and Kingdom and are just upgrading them with fully functional ramps to match the main docks. This is supposed to be in preparation for adding a fourth ferry boat eventually as well as allowing them to dock and load multiple boats at the same time quickly and easily. The secondary docks were removed a few weeks ago while the new dock pieces were being assembled on the shore across form the Grand Flo, next tot he canal. Now all those pieces are ready, they will start driving the pilings.

True that they've always had two on both sides. But the second one on the MK side is very awkward, both in the placement of it's gates and the positinging for a ferry to get there. Also I've only seen news on the TTC being upgraded. If both were being upgraded this would make a lot more sense.

I have used the second dock before at the TTC (and there was another boat docked in the normal one), so I know they use it. I have also seen the boats several times both docked at MK side. They normally have both docked at closing or right after fireworks waiting for the crowds. They load one and send it off and immediately load the second one. So really this is nothing new, they just are upgrading them or making them better. It won't really change anything operation wise unless they don't finish the upgrade/fix by spring break when they will need the extra docks.

Not sure how true it is, but according to Attractions Magazine, all the ferries are having their lower-level benches/seating removed to speed up the loading/unloading process.

Idk if they're all being removed, but last time I was on the Joe Fowler, I believe, (about two I weeks ago) a lot of the lower level seating was taken out.

This is very true. This was done months ago and there is maybe 2 benches left and they have been moved out of the way. They put boxes at the front of the boat for the life jackets, since the benches held the life jackets before. Every boat I have been on as had this done. Some left one or two benches, but I think one I was on had no benches on the bottom. But I could have just not scene the couple down there due to crowds.

The issues with the benches was that people would sit on them with their strollers and/or bags in front of them causing people to not be able to get around them to get to the front of the boat. We had this issue all the time. Then you ask them to move and half the time they don't understand English causing an issue trying to get them to move so you can get past them. So I can see this helping with loading a ton.

Between that and the ever growing numbers of GIANT strollers and ECVs, they just needed more room on the lower deck to get things through. Guests have started bringing triple-wide strollers (which are wider than the 36" wheelchairs:

BEBE_LOVE_TRIPLE_STROLLER%2523475_AQUA_BLUE__17753.1293124222.1280.1280.JPG

Between that and the ever growing numbers of GIANT strollers and ECVs, they just needed more room on the lower deck to get things through. Guests have started bringing triple-wide strollers (which are wider than the 36" wheelchairs:

BEBE_LOVE_TRIPLE_STROLLER%2523475_AQUA_BLUE__17753.1293124222.1280.1280.JPG
This is unfortunately true. Those damn strollers are a menace! Then on top of that, the soccer moms pushing those things treat them like bulldozers, and just plow through anyone in their way. I wish they were banned. Hopefully with the lower level seating, there won't be nearly as many accidents. And capacity should improve too.