Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Shanghai Disneyland

It looked like food at USJ was pretty expensive or at least comparable to florida. Isn't it also as much or more expensive than shanghai for a ticket?

USJ is around 63 dollars to get in. Shanghai Disneyland ranges from 56 to 71 dollars depending on the season. So it even out to being around the same price for entry.

USJ has a lot more annual passholders so they aren't paying entry into the park. When they come they are just buying food.

Last edited:
USJ is around 63 dollars to get in. Shanghai Disneyland ranges from 56 to 71 dollars depending on the season. So it even out to being around the same price for entry.

USJ has a lot more annual passholders so they aren't paying entry into the park. When they come they are just buying food.
Is your point that there is not an annual pass option at shanghai to drive food sales of repeat visitors? Or do you mean that USJ is closer related to local prices? Not sure I get what you mean.

Is your point that there is not an annual pass option at shanghai to drive food sales of repeat visitors? Or do you mean that USJ is closer related to local prices? Not sure I get what you mean.

Shanghai Disneyland doesn't have annual passes just seasonal which grants access to the park from November to march with the most likely week people would want to go being black out dates for usage. USJ visitors tend to mirror Orlando with a large percentage being AP holders who come often. They drive food and merch more especially during Universal Cool and all the seasonal events so than the one time guests/foreigners who boost express passes/ticket sales. The food is also somewhat in line with all the food around the vicinity of Universal.

Japan has a real middle class that makes decent wages. China's middle class only exists as a propaganda tool. Their middle class, as I said before, would be considered poor in most developed nations. China has a small upper class where most of the wealth is centered. I would think that's the main difference. The Disney parks are affordable for the common people in Japan. Not so much in China, except for the wealthy upper class.

Pictures or it didn't happen?

Just kidding but if you want to post any I am sure we would like a look.

For sure! Here you go!

Toy Story Hotel (Where we stayed)
zsK8HCMl.jpg

qMRRcZWl.jpg

T5yTzKUl.jpg

Food at the hotel was absolutely fantastic. Above is the breakfast options

Random park photos I took (Click for full res):

For sure! Here you go!

zsK8HCMl.jpg

qMRRcZWl.jpg

T5yTzKUl.jpg

I love these kind of photos, I think they always give a better view of the park than any official photo.

Looks like you had a blast! :thumbsup:

For sure! Here you go!

zsK8HCMl.jpg

qMRRcZWl.jpg

T5yTzKUl.jpg

Nice! Thank you!

I had seen lots of construction and opening photos but none of the finished work. Those rose drop lights at the castle really caught my eye. Sounds like you had a great trip.

Random trip thoughts (Just rambling, so bear with me):
  • Food was great in general. Fair portion sizes for good prices. Most items came as sets which made ordering easier. Restaurants were never busy as most of the populations finds the prices too high vs local offerings. Lots of people bring their own food in to the parks. Personally quality and pricing here was better than the USA parks.
  • Tron was a special line up to me. Queue is very basic and stark like the movie designs, but the feeling of being in there paired with the Daft Punk score is just something else. I've never been in a queue line that just amps you up for the ride ahead like this one. They really knocked it out of the park on this one.
  • Tron the ride was amazing. People complain about it being too short, but I find the timing just right. Any longer and it would be too much especially with the position you sit in for the ride.
  • Pirates was even better than I thought. I was excited after watching all the POVS online.. They do this ride no justice. The screens are so large that they seem to envelope you. Truly a ride that cannot be described with words or pictures.
  • Roaring Rapids was closed.
  • Soaring (Their's has a G) was running only one theatre with no fastpass so we skipped it because we rode it in WDW in January. Wish I could have seen the queue line though.
  • The Alice maze was a surprise to me. Much more entertaining and well done than it looked in advanced to me.
  • I love how the park operates on so many varying levels of height. One thing the USA parks are lack is any elevation change. Shanghai was great for this. The two level Tomorrowland, Alice maze a level below the castle, challenge trails in Adventure Isle.. It was neat to see.
  • Tomorrowland in SDL is what I hoped it would be and more. Amazing BGM and ambiance. The land totally takes on a new feeling at night. Disney's best TL by far.
  • People/bathrooms/cleanliness: People were fine... they stood close but by no means were they rude. Just cultural differences. Bathrooms were generally very clean. Ratio of standard toilets to sqautters was 2:1. Only issue is that people would smoke in the bathrooms even though there are designated smoking areas. Park overall was very clean.. even more so than the domestic parks.
  • Cast members were all around excellent.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! After SDL, we moved on to Tokyo and the HK.

Random trip thoughts (Just rambling, so bear with me):
  • Food was great in general. Fair portion sizes for good prices. Most items came as sets which made ordering easier. Restaurants were never busy as most of the populations finds the prices too high vs local offerings. Lots of people bring their own food in to the parks. Personally quality and pricing here was better than the USA parks.
  • Tron was a special line up to me. Queue is very basic and stark like the movie designs, but the feeling of being in there paired with the Daft Punk score is just something else. I've never been in a queue line that just amps you up for the ride ahead like this one. They really knocked it out of the park on this one.
  • Tron the ride was amazing. People complain about it being too short, but I find the timing just right. Any longer and it would be too much especially with the position you sit in for the ride.
  • Pirates was even better than I thought. I was excited after watching all the POVS online.. They do this ride no justice. The screens are so large that they seem to envelope you. Truly a ride that cannot be described with words or pictures.
  • Roaring Rapids was closed.
  • Soaring (Their's has a G) was running only one theatre with no fastpass so we skipped it because we rode it in WDW in January. Wish I could have seen the queue line though.
  • The Alice maze was a surprise to me. Much more entertaining and well done than it looked in advanced to me.
  • I love how the park operates on so many varying levels of height. One thing the USA parks are lack is any elevation change. Shanghai was great for this. The two level Tomorrowland, Alice maze a level below the castle, challenge trails in Adventure Isle.. It was neat to see.
  • Tomorrowland in SDL is what I hoped it would be and more. Amazing BGM and ambiance. The land totally takes on a new feeling at night. Disney's best TL by far.
  • People/bathrooms/cleanliness: People were fine... they stood close but by no means were they rude. Just cultural differences. Bathrooms were generally very clean. Ratio of standard toilets to sqautters was 2:1. Only issue is that people would smoke in the bathrooms even though there are designated smoking areas. Park overall was very clean.. even more so than the domestic parks.
  • Cast members were all around excellent.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask me! After SDL, we moved on to Tokyo and the HK.

I think elevation changes is what is most drastically missing from all the parks in Orlando.

Overall, it sounds like a solid park and it's interesting to see what a modern Disney park looks like.

For all the criticism of the size of the castle I can see what they were doing in @glendroid 's pictures. With the wide Main Street it fits as shown in the pic down the street. The one from the entrance to the hub shows what I think, Red Square with too many spires and turrets but it is perfect from the entrance. I wonder how long those two trees in town square will last. They are fast growing so I bet they get replaced with Italian Cypress after a few years

Soooo, to combat the extreme fast pass scalping problem they were experiencing at Shanghai Disneyland, Disney has instituted an Express type fastpass system. For $17 to $21 dollars you get one fastpass for 7 attractions. Pretty cheap. That's one of the problems I see with parks in China.The basic incomes, even their so called middle class, are so low that you can't charge the typical going rates for major theme parks like they do in the USA & Japan. Even admission prices are fairly low. Imagine the demand for these express like fastpasses if you could purchase them in the USA & Japan for that ridiculously low price.

For those of you who are interested... Here's a mini vlog of my Asia trip with mainly landscape and environment shots of the parks! Enjoy and ask me anything you want!

Shanghai: 0:01-5:20
Tokyo: 5:21-12:17
Hong Kong: 12:18-15:09

Last edited:
For those of you who are interested... Here's a mini vlog of my Asia trip with mainly landscape and environment shots of the parks! Enjoy and ask me anything you want!

Shanghai: 0:01-5:20
Tokyo: 5:21-12:17
Hong Kong: 12:18-15:09

Terrific video!

Of the three resorts, which one impressed you the most?

Terrific video!

Of the three resorts, which one impressed you the most?

Thanks! I'm not much of a video taking person, but I thought I might as well document some stuff.

I'm a Tokyo resort fan for sure. This is my second trip to TDR and it was just as good or better than my last visit. The level of detail in DisneySea is unmatched and the Castmembers are like none other (no offense to the USA Cast).

However, favorite ride handsdown goes to Mystic Manor in Hong Kong... Truly a wow ride.

Thanks! I'm not much of a video taking person, but I thought I might as well document some stuff.

I'm a Tokyo resort fan for sure. This is my second trip to TDR and it was just as good or better than my last visit. The level of detail in DisneySea is unmatched and the Castmembers are like none other (no offense to the USA Cast).

However, favorite ride handsdown goes to Mystic Manor in Hong Kong... Truly a wow ride.
I read so much good stuff about Mystic Manor. it's a shame it's usually a walk on in a park with poor attendance except for holiday seasons.