Shipyard 32: Horrors Unhinged (HHN 32) | Inside Universal Forums

Shipyard 32: Horrors Unhinged (HHN 32)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
Shipyard 32: Horrors Unhinged
Enter a 1940s San Francisco shipping yard full of mysterious crates and cages bearing Dr. Oddfellow’s symbol. Beware, his nightmarish oddities have now escaped spreading fear and chaos in their wake.

Reactions: londonwerecat
From the podcast:

"Over in San Francisco, we have Shipyard 32: Horrors Unhinged. That area is amazing because it takes place in the 1940s and is more of a loading dock environment. We also have Dr. Oddfellow's Pier 32 Warehouse that will be located behind us. What's happening is Dr. Oddfellow is shipping in all of these different creations, of all of these creatures he's made. On this loading dock, what's happening is they're all coming in from the shore, getting into the warehouse dock, and these creatures have decided to bust free. And what's fun about this, is you're going to see some of our classic monster creations that we've had in years past and we also have some brand new monsters that you probably never imagined running into in this area.

This is how we're connecting a lot of our history that Oddfellow, we don't know, for all of HHN history, may have been dropping in monsters. That's what he likes to do. He likes to drop in monsters to cause chaos. He's been here the whole time. He's hid in the shadows. Every time Jack has resurged he's like "yeah *sigh*, Jack's back". He just lets Jack be the showman. But now, he's bringing back all of these monsters from the past that maybe, Oddfellow dropped into the past. Has he been pulling the strings the whole time?

And a fun little easter egg, when you're walking through the different zones, you may run into a version of Oddfellow within a creature or a beast. Any of those characters that we have, you may or may not come into contact with him face-to-face. You'll never know. You'll have to look closely. And you'll have to know the timeline. 1920s started it all, The Jungle. 1930s, The Dustbowl Circus. He became immortal and Jack Schmidt drew the immortality blood from him so after 1930, Oddfellow has a scar. So maybe, in the 1940s, Oddfellow who can now twist himself into any creature he wants to be could be one of these beasts in his pier warehouse with a scar on his face.

From the podcast:

"Over in San Francisco, we have Shipyard 32: Horrors Unhinged. That area is amazing because it takes place in the 1940s and is more of a loading dock environment. We also have Dr. Oddfellow's Pier 32 Warehouse that will be located behind us. What's happening is Dr. Oddfellow is shipping in all of these different creations, of all of these creatures he's made. On this loading dock, what's happening is they're all coming in from the shore, getting into the warehouse dock, and these creatures have decided to bust free. And what's fun about this, is you're going to see some of our classic monster creations that we've had in years past and we also have some brand new monsters that you probably never imagined running into in this area.

This is how we're connecting a lot of our history that Oddfellow, we don't know, for all of HHN history, may have been dropping in monsters. That's what he likes to do. He likes to drop in monsters to cause chaos. He's been here the whole time. He's hid in the shadows. Every time Jack has resurged he's like "yeah *sigh*, Jack's back". He just lets Jack be the showman. But now, he's bringing back all of these monsters from the past that maybe, Oddfellow dropped into the past. Has he been pulling the strings the whole time?

And a fun little easter egg, when you're walking through the different zones, you may run into a version of Oddfellow within a creature or a beast. Any of those characters that we have, you may or may not come into contact with him face-to-face. You'll never know. You'll have to look closely. And you'll have to know the timeline. 1920s started it all, The Jungle. 1930s, The Dustbowl Circus. He became immortal and Jack Schmidt drew the immortality blood from him so after 1930, Oddfellow has a scar. So maybe, in the 1940s, Oddfellow who can now twist himself into any creature he wants to be could be one of these beasts in his pier warehouse with a scar on his face.
So pretty much:

I love it.

Poor FEAR...
Right? But then again, FEAR has always been the Butt-Monkey of Icons due to his history. He was quickly made up when the plans for Cindy were dropped, I don't think anyone bought that he was the puppet-master of anything, his lantern-faced minions were way cooler than him, all he could really do was, what? Stand around, like he did in his scare zone and in Icons: Captured?

Well hey, at least Oddfellow says he follows Fear in the podcast? Unless he meant metaphorically (more likely), which would just be the biggest burn for our poor demon.

• Haha
Reactions: garpeel
Right? But then again, FEAR has always been the Butt-Monkey of Icons due to his history. He was quickly made up when the plans for Cindy were dropped, I don't think anyone bought that he was the puppet-master of anything, his lantern-faced minions were way cooler than him, all he could really do was, what? Stand around, like he did in his scare zone and in Icons: Captured?

I stand by that FEAR could really work if they gave him a chance to actually scare people. He's only ever been a photo op or an awkward inclusion in the frame story for Icons: Captured.

I wonder how many returning faces we'll really see in this zone?

Anyone have any guesses on who we might see make a return here?
HHN-XV-Terror-Mines-Gnomerats-UO-3395544.png

Just gimme Gnomerats and I'll be happy

Reactions: Kichkinet85
Does anyone know if the work walls across from the bakery in San Fran will be down by the time HHN rolls around? Not a huge deal but would be nice to have the extra walking space given it’s a narrow-ish path already

This One surprised me. I like seeing the creatures. The sets fit well with the zone theme. Still had a lot of people and got bottlenecked. I saw some great scares here.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
This zone feels so EMPTY.... there's barely any monsters here and then the monsters we do get, are inside cages!
The regular "ship cargo" scareactors don't feel like they are actors ( they just feel like guests) and the zone only had like 2 monsters out. It's mostly those cargo ship members. It's terrible right now .....
I expected the cast to fully be monsters. It feels like it's mostly ship crew guys
EDIT: just walked by. There's 2 monsters out, 2 stilt monsters. Then 1 cage monster. Then the ship crew guys
Feels like a really big mistake to not have all the actors be monsters.

The cargo cages needed to be stages and the monsters to be on top instead of inside or something. The caged monsters can't even come out lol
Idea was cool. Layout is Horrible....

Last edited:
Reactions: Chumpieboy
I really like this zone! This and Hellblock both have the same concept that I really enjoy of "SCP's breaking loose" and the Shipyard angle is great. I love the Spawning creature that pops out of the boxes, the shipyard workers honestly meld surprisingly well into the crowd and get some good scares themselves, I love most of the costumes.. The Twisted Lady is a favorite of mine! I also really like the use of the cages! If you're gonna do a stage scareactor, having one in a cage like that (especially a non-threatening costume like the fairy) does great for the theming.

The only problem I have is that damn Rat/Wolf/Capybara Latex mask that one guy is wearing. That thing looks straight out of Spirit Halloween, super thin, and I can tell whatever actor was in it was having a bad time. Maybe it was a swing, but they had to hold up their mask so it didn't droop too much, they would accidentally concave the mask when scaring sometimes. Get that actor a better head please! They deserve it for all the trouble they went through this weekend!

Today was not as crowded and I was able to enjoy it more. Without the giant crowd from Sunday, this feels like an old school hhn zone. Feels retro

Without this area being super crowded, it seems really nice. It does feel like the scarezone version of Hellblock,
The actors interacting with each other was nice. I loved that. They were attacking each other sometimes. That was Really cool without the big crowds. I liked it.

The only thing I wish they did ( and it wouldn't take that much from budget I think?) The only thing I would change was to put some monster mannequins around the boxes or something. Have 2 or 3 mannequin monsters in some of the boxes or on top. ( I mention mannequins because I know they couldn't have extra actors) I wish we had at least one monster crawling on top of the crates