Six Flags Fright Fest 2024 (Magic Mountain) | Page 16 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Fright Fest 2024 (Magic Mountain)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I hope to be going tonight, so I haven't watched any vids yet to try to stay mostly spoiler-free (though I have seen a few pics). The few things I have seen look pretty decent for Six Flags (though obviously a step down from HHN). The giant monkey prop for the Oz scarezone looked really cool, and maybe original? I've never seen a prop like that before, so it implies they're not just shopping at Spirit to get these props.

One thing I did hear is that the chaperone policy did keep crowds pretty light. Granted, it's always lighter on a Friday night at SFFF, but let's hope that keeps up throughout the season.

I should be able to attend for free with my membership, so I'll probably be going a lot. I hope to see how/if it evolves over time.

But it does seem the returning mazes (Saw and Conjuring) got much better reviews this time around. Perhaps SF is in for the long game? Meaning they'll likely keep all these properties for a while, but just keep improving them year after year? It's an interesting approach, because even Knott's generally doesn't typically change their returning mazes. But we've now seen it happen for Vault 666, Saw, Conjuring, and Truth or Dare. Also also for Condamned turning into House Party, which was a very clever re-invention--though I hear it's back to the regular version now.

Last edited:
But it does seem the returning mazes (Saw and Conjuring) got much better reviews this time around. Perhaps SF is in for the long game? Meaning they'll likely keep all these properties for a while, but just keep improving them year after year? It's an interesting approach, because even Knott's generally doesn't typically change their returning mazes. But we've now seen it happen for Vault 666, Saw, Conjuring, and Truth or Dare.
If I had to guess, they're probably throwing out this many properties to cut them back within the next year or two down to just the seriously popular ones, and keep those around for the next couple years and upgrade them where needed. I kinda dont expect this major ip situation to be the case every single year going forward.

also fully unrelated, but wasn't there supposed to be a texas chainsaw massacre house? Haven't really been keeping up with the event pre-opening but I couldve sworn they announced that. Was it just for other Six Flags' and not magic mountain?

Reactions: Jake S
TCM was only for SF Great Adventure and SF Over Texas.

And yeah, I don't see them being able to keep up with this many new IPs every year. I agree that they'll keep what they can stick and/or improve over time. Thought because of SFGrA and SFOT having TCM, I could possibly see that coming to SFMM at some point in the future... especially given it's now one of the most popular mazes at HHN this year.

I also think that Scream Break must also be a large part of having so many mazes... they can literally get twice as much use out of each property in a year. And would basically make them the only haunt game in town during that time, with a relatively strong line up to boot.

I went on Friday. It was a poop show. Managed to do all 11 mazes (and video them). Had to keep coming back to eventually get Trick r Treat and the rwo zombie mazes as they were closed for hours. Got lucky that Conjuring was open when I got to it. Saw had very few scare actors. But I give credit, all scare actors at the event were going for it. The 3 mazes towards the front, Vault 666 etc, were a pleasant surprise, well staffed, long, and nice sets. Left at 10.40pm, first and last time at Fright Fest, I had an open mind and gave it a try. HHN Hollywood tonight, back to the masters.

Now that I'm giving this some thought, I'd have to imagine at least part of the rationale of getting Stranger Things, Trick 'r Treat, Saw, and Conjuring isn't as much, "We're going to make these amazing" as much as, "Now HHN can't have them." Am I right?

And if so, doesn't that mean they're really try to pursue TCM (and maybe other IPs) if they can get away with it?

Now that I'm giving this some thought, I'd have to imagine at least part of the rationale of getting Stranger Things, Trick 'r Treat, Saw, and Conjuring isn't as much, "We're going to make these amazing" as much as, "Now HHN can't have them." Am I right?

And if so, doesn't that mean they're really try to pursue TCM (and maybe other IPs) if they can get away with it?
I assure you, when the smoke clears at the end of this year, even IF (and a big if) these houses get better, the damage will already be done.

I get this vibe as well, especially regarding Warner IPs..

I assure you, when the smoke clears at the end of this year, even IF (and a big if) these houses get better, the damage will already be done.
I wish, but Saw and Conjuring were already there last year. Clearly the rights holders, of at least those two separate properties, don't care. There might be some deal between Six Flags and Warner Bros, so Conjuring in general just may be tied to it (not sure what the terms of the WB deal is to the theme park but its clearly long lasting) -- but also it is safe to say they are not tied exclusively to Six Flags. Saw on the other hand probably just goes where they are wanted and where the money is -- they have theme park attractions all across the planet of varying quality. As for Netflix, The Army of the Dead maze looks especially bad, but Stranger Things is one of the better looking ones, although still nowhere near the quality of HHN, so if they had a problem with that (which I don't even know if those stories are true), we probably won't see a Netflix property at FF again.

Six Flags easily could get away with just doing Warner IPs for the next decade if they wanted. Or just 11 houses of Saw, each covering each movie lmao

I think we’ll get Warner properties at HHN again.
Agreed. I think them being at Six Flags might cause issues in getting those exact same IPs at HHN in the same year, like I wouldn't be surprised if TCM's presence at HHN made WB opt out of letting Magic Mountain have it, but I really doubt Six Flags has the kind of dough to be throwing around for exclusivity deals on licensing for seasonal events. Frankly the fact HHN has TCM and yet TCM still does have a presence at Six Flags in a state that doesn't have HHN tells me it's absolutely possible for them to just parse out the IP rights as they see fit rather than it being all or nothing.
It makes more financial sense for a big studio like WB to want their property licensing spread across multiple profitable ventures if possible rather than putting all their eggs in one basket. Realistically we'll just see properties Six Flags isn't currently using, which frankly there's plenty to pick from.