Six Flags Magic Mountain | Page 194 | Inside Universal Forums

Six Flags Magic Mountain

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Exactly... this coaster or whatever it is was clearly planned long before the merger was announced, so it'll solely be on SF's plate, not CF.

It will be on SF’s plate, but I think when you look at SF’s return to large scale single attraction investments at SFFT (to great success for a local park), I think this might bode well for a flagship location….

If they start clearing out another area adjacent to this area i will be more on the train for the traditional giga coaster. I just really see this as being a dive coaster given the plot of land . Visually a dive coaster eclipsing the height of goliath would be menacing, and it could look down to the walkways nearby dropping in the tunnel. Sort of how tatsu interacts with its lift hill and involves the walkway up the mountain. Magic Mountain loves there gimmicks The current plot is just too far away from the from entrance to suggest there is a correlation with the demolished ticket booths. I hope i am wrong though.

Bring on anything from b and m!

Reactions: Freak
It will be on SF’s plate, but I think when you look at SF’s return to large scale single attraction investments at SFFT (to great success for a local park), I think this might bode well for a flagship location….

Do you really consider Dr. Diabolical a large scale attraction? Granted, it's large compared to recent additions to SF parks, but to me it's nothing compared to the investment required for a giga. To me, it doesn't compare to Superman at SFNE/Darien Lake, or even Nitro at SFGrAm.

Do you really consider Dr. Diabolical a large scale attraction? Granted, it's large compared to recent additions to SF parks, but to me it's nothing compared to the investment required for a giga. To me, it doesn't compare to Superman at SFNE/Darien Lake, or even Nitro at SFGrAm.
You make a fair point - but looking at the past decade in terms of SF investments? Absolutely. I wouldn’t even say Maxx Force is as big of an investment as Dr. Diabolical.

Reactions: Rideguy70
To me, it feels like a few options.

A.) The Giga Method - It'd be something that feels like it's long overdue for the park; and it could allow them to redo the entire entrance plaza experience to be like Carowinds in a sense (the same could be said for B if we're honest). It'd be photogenic, but I don't think there's enough space for it? Unless this goes further than where it is intending.

B.) The Tilt Method - In a landscape where Knotts and Seas have more traditional dive based coasters, how could SFMM change the game? Quite simple--go to the absolute extreme. Vekoma is making its way back into the US, and they will be opening a Tilt Coaster in Qiddya (with a second one in Texas). I think it'd be a picture-esque iconic coaster that could easily wrap itself around that entire area with no problem, and depending on it's height; it could be imposing to see from the highway.
I could see a tilt coaster coming to magic mountain because they could get energylandia’s tilt now that they have no interest in building it anymore.

I could see a tilt coaster coming to magic mountain because they could get energylandia’s tilt now that they have no interest in building it anymore.

That's actually a fair point.

Assuming if Vekoma was commissioned and prefabricating that of the parts and materials for the Energylandia tilt, they would likely be SBNO right now due to the cancellation of that project. And as we saw with Rookie Racer in SFSTL; they are willing to work with handmedowns like that of what happened with that coaster.

I also believe SFGADV's Flash is also a "Last-Minute" sort of circumstance as-well; but I think that is more of GADV being quick on their feet if anything else.

Do you really consider Dr. Diabolical a large scale attraction?
What bothers me about this coaster is that it sounds cool in name & should be somewhat well themed. It might be a big fun coaster, but lacks in the themed execution department.

I was shocked when I saw what they did to Poltergeist!! When I lived in San Antonio years ago (ancient times), it was so "naked" & still had the over the shoulder head-banger restraints. Now it's all spooky with a new train & themed queue/station!

Honestly, Magic Mountain could use a full blown makeover of a lot of their existing coasters (REPAINT VIPER ALREADY!! ....and give it lapbars with cushioned seats). The park is in serious need of a renovation, not deforestation. So whatever plan they have, I fear it's just going to be another "naked" coaster installment. It'd be nice if they threw in another flat ride or two.

Bugs Bunny World also needs a face-lift.. but that's spec/rant for another time.

Umm... have you been on Dr. Diabolical? While I'll grant you the ride itself isn't super themed, it does have some very fun voice narrations. But the queue? Crazy themed with two pre-show rooms that include electronics and story-telling. Blew me away. They also did the same crazy queue theming for their version of Crazanity... it's a full blown fun house queue. Same for Poltergeist (as you mentioned) and the Pirate 4D shooter ride. So SFTT is not exactly hurting in the theme department, especially for being a Six Flags park.

I can't imagine Viper ever getting a lap restraint... has any Arrow coaster ever swapped out OTS for a lap bar? But I defintely wouldn't mind the vest restraints. And while we're speaking of Viper, I rode it about a month ago and was totally shocked at how (relatively) smooth it was. Not perfect by any means, but the smoothest I've experienced it for a while.

As far as the "deforestation", I figure that's an ongoing reaction to the branches that fell on Ninja. I figure the park just doesn't want to risk anything like that again in the future, but has gone a bit overboard IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on more flat rides, though. Been saying that for a long, long time. I feel like SFMM is one of the few SF parks that hasn't received a flat ride package, and it's arguably the one that needs it the most.

Umm... have you been on Dr. Diabolical? While I'll grant you the ride itself isn't super themed, it does have some very fun voice narrations. But the queue? Crazy themed with two pre-show rooms that include electronics and story-telling. Blew me away. They also did the same crazy queue theming for their version of Crazanity... it's a full blown fun house queue. Same for Poltergeist (as you mentioned) and the Pirate 4D shooter ride. So SFTT is not exactly hurting in the theme department, especially for being a Six Flags park.

I can't imagine Viper ever getting a lap restraint... has any Arrow coaster ever swapped out OTS for a lap bar? But I defintely wouldn't mind the vest restraints. And while we're speaking of Viper, I rode it about a month ago and was totally shocked at how (relatively) smooth it was. Not perfect by any means, but the smoothest I've experienced it for a while.

As far as the "deforestation", I figure that's an ongoing reaction to the branches that fell on Ninja. I figure the park just doesn't want to risk anything like that again in the future, but has gone a bit overboard IMO.

I wholeheartedly agree with you on more flat rides, though. Been saying that for a long, long time. I feel like SFMM is one of the few SF parks that hasn't received a flat ride package, and it's arguably the one that needs it the most.
I’ve been on Dr Diabolical. I was very pleasantly surprised at how good the ride was and how well-themed it was! The drop had some good air time! Of all of the B&M dives I’ve been on (Oblivion, Valravyn, Emperor, this, and Sheikra) this might be my favorite B&M just for the airtime on the drop alone!

Do you recall where you sat in Viper? I haven't ridden it in a hot minute.

Also agree about the deforestation. It’s gotten kinda out of control.

Hey is there a chance they can ship some of CGA’s flats down to SFMm once that acquisition takes place? Can we please get Orbit? Lol

If the park literally added multiple flat rides throughout the entire park for one year, it'd be a great investment

Even better if the queue is covered, themed & ride has a lighting package... put those solar panels to use!

I'm still heartbroken Cedar Point got rid of Witches Wheel... ever since I was tall enough, good luck trying to get me away from that ride lol

I'm not a fan of the new "floorless" ride car design... it just looks cheap & less of a wow-factor compared to the classic "cage" design.

But yea, the park needs an enterprise again along with a few other classic borderline carnival rides. Also, no "tallest etc" gimmick please.

Also there's that one flat ride that has a "gear" design & it amazes me Screampunk district doesn't have that or any flat in general

Reactions: Rideguy70
While I agree I prefer the classic Enterprise (which are definitely becoming more scarce, so I ride them whenever I can), there is something to be said about the openness of an Endeavor. And many other SF parks already have Endeavors, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to get one more for SFMM.

I've often thought the old Swiss Twist/Pistachio Park would likely be a good spot for a Nebulaz, although Steampunk area would be great if there was a spot for it.

The park has so much wasted space, along with defunct ride space, and of course, poorly utilized space...

Having worked there, I always joked the park is almost like a cemetery where rides/attractions go to die & their remains left to rot.

Reactions: BillM
The park has so much wasted space, along with defunct ride space, and of course, poorly utilized space...

Having worked there, I always joked the park is almost like a cemetery where rides/attractions go to die & their remains left to rot.
Agreed, I have been to 4 SF parks including MM and it really is the worst run park.

While I agree I prefer the classic Enterprise (which are definitely becoming more scarce, so I ride them whenever I can), there is something to be said about the openness of an Endeavor. And many other SF parks already have Endeavors, so it wouldn't be a huge stretch to get one more for SFMM.

I've often thought the old Swiss Twist/Pistachio Park would likely be a good spot for a Nebulaz, although Steampunk area would be great if there was a spot for it.
I thought the issue with the enterprise rides was parts, I know the one in Kennywood had to be shut down as they had issues repairing it.

Reactions: Mad Dog