Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 479 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Yeah, sorry to get off-topic but after I rode Kong yesterday I went to Gringotts and it actually is a very different ride now witch 20-30 minute lines and no breakdowns. I would actually put it higher on my favorites now.
Gringotts is one of those rides that grows on me. The first time I rode it, and everything worked except the water effect, I would have given it a 7. By the fourth or fifth ride, my rating went up to a 9 or 10. There's so much happening, and things to see, you don't notice everything during the first runs. While I rate FJ as a better attraction, I actually have more fun riding Gringotts, primarily because it's less intense, therefore I can repeat ride it more. I've now rode Gringotts well over 2 dozen times. I suspect Kong will be the same to me. I'll notice more and appreciate it more with repeat rides..... A point I've brought up here many times before, but I believe it's probably pertinent here. Disney Imagineering great Tony Baxter, in interviews has said, it's important to design an attraction where it's actually better on the 20th ride than the first. That a great ride will have you notice & experience more nuances the more times you ride......

Finally, to say Kong is a let down because it doesn't one up FJ/Spider-man/etc in innovation/awesomeness/whatever is like undercutting every major Disney attraction since IJA because it doesn't live up to that attraction. It's a logical fallacy that doesn't debate the merits of the attraction itself.

1. Why bring Disney into this?

2. Some of us have criticized Disney for not pushing the envelope creatively since IJA.

3. It's not a logical fallacy to say UC is capable of doing better work (if it's the case that Kong is a second-tier E-ticket).

1. Why bring Disney into this?

2. Some of us have criticized Disney for not pushing the envelope creatively since IJA.

3. It's not a logical fallacy to say UC is capable of doing better work (if it's the case that Kong is a second-tier E-ticket).

I'm using Disney as a comparison. Let's change it up then: it's like claiming Gatekeeper is a let down because it's not as groundbreaking or good as Millennium Force.

Im not saying you can't criticize UC, I'm saying expecting every new addition to be better than someone's individual choice of best attraction is a fallacy of argument.

I mean yeah, but IJA was 20 years ago and Disney hasn't really pushed that much sense. FJ was only 6 years ago, and Uni definately has been pushing a lot, even if not going as far as FJ, since then.
But not every attraction has to be a major innovator/envelope-pusher. Having one that is just a really fun ride to fill out your day isn't a problem at all. If in 20 years, Uni hasn't created another big "envelope-pusher", then sure, I see your point. But I think this attraction, right here, right now, doesn't need to be some massive new ride that innovates everything.

I mean yeah, but IJA was 20 years ago and Disney hasn't really pushed that much sense. FJ was only 6 years ago, and Uni definately has been pushing a lot, even if not going as far as FJ, since then.

But not every attraction has to be a major innovator/envelope-pusher. Having one that is just a really fun ride to fill out your day isn't a problem at all. If in 20 years, Uni hasn't created another big "envelope-pusher", then sure, I see your point. But I think this attraction, right here, right now, doesn't need to be some massive new ride that innovates everything.

I'm just saying the criticism that UC isn't innovating in dramatic ways will probably ramp up when Fallon, F&F, and an over-hyped "water theme park" open next year.

I couldn't care less about tech or innovation. All I want, bottom line, is a new attraction that's fun , entertaining and looks good. I'm easy to please. :) .....(Heh, I even liked Mermaid & 7 Dwarfs, which nearly everyone knocks).

I couldn't care less about tech or innovation. All I want, bottom line, is a new attraction that's fun , entertaining and looks good. I'm easy to please. :) .....(Heh, I even liked Mermaid & 7 Dwarfs, which nearly everyone knocks).

I agree! (Except for the Mermaid part)

Theme park fans are quickly becoming the miserable people I used to get on the Jungle Cruise. The ones that would sit down and glare at you, making sure you knew there was no way they're having fun on this ride.

I'm just saying the criticism that UC isn't innovating in dramatic ways will probably ramp up when Fallon, F&F, and an over-hyped "water theme park" open next year.

This is similar to Apple, everyone wants and expects every year to be a crazy leap like the original iPhone. But they forget that it was 6 years between iPhone and iPod and that a lot of negative press and criticism that Apple doesn't know what they're doing.