Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion | Page 659 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - General Discussion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
This is the copy and paste response to guests complaining about it:

The way this is worded and if they go ahead with fully removing 3D, it comes across that they don't care about the guest experience.

I wouldn’t read too much into that. Those responses are made in a vacuum and meant to be as chalk as possible to get through the quickest legal/marketing review they can. The actual thought process behind the decision probably had 0 impact on what the wording of that response would be.
Universal views Kong far closer to a Potter/Spider-Man/Mummy than a "lesser" attraction. Kong is a headliner (we can argue about the quality all day, but Uni sees it as an E-ticket).
This just isn’t true, but since I really have nothing to back that up I’ll just say that while I agree this is an objectively bad move, there’s no reason to not just sit tight and wait and see what happens after the “test” is over/after Epic opens. If it’s a permanent change, then we’re in trouble. If it’s a way to get a quick injection of cash (to help showcase more of Creative’s upcoming handiwork and talent), then trust that Universal is picking a ride that will have a lesser impact on the overall guest experience (regardless of how the super fans, a slim minority of daily paying customers, feel about it).

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
This just isn’t true, but since I really have nothing to back that up I’ll just say that while I agree this is an objectively bad move, there’s no reason to not just sit tight and wait and see what happens after the “test” is over/after Epic opens. If it’s a permanent change, then we’re in trouble. If it’s a way to get a quick injection of cash (to help showcase more of Creative’s upcoming handiwork and talent), then trust that Universal is picking a ride that will have a lesser impact on the overall guest experience (regardless of how the super fans, a slim minority of daily paying customers, feel about it).
Out of Islands of Adventure's 17 number of attractions (excluding play areas), Kong is 1 of only 4 family-friendly attractions (Kong, Hogwarts Express*, High in the Sky, Cat in the Hat) that doesn't have extreme thrills, motion simulation or drenches you in water.

Kong is one of the very few attractions at IOA that offers the entire family an opportunity to ride things together... and that one attraction is now running at reduced quality.

*I'm being generous here

Out of Islands of Adventure's 17 number of attractions (excluding play areas), Kong is 1 of only 4 family-friendly attractions (Kong, Hogwarts Express*, High in the Sky, Cat in the Hat) that doesn't have extreme thrills, motion simulation or drenches you in water.
Those aren’t the requirements of being a headlining attraction…and unless you’re implying that High in the Sky and Cat in the Hat are headlining attractions I don’t really think I’m following.
Kong is one of the very few attractions at IOA that offers the entire family an opportunity to ride things together... and that one attraction is now running at reduced quality.
And yet the point remains it gets middling satisfaction scores, is a tertiary (at best) asset to the resort’s overall marketing strategy, and makes no money in merch, food, or attribution of ticket sales.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Can confirm everything @Brian G. said was true, though I’d also argue the forest scene is lacking too. The motion helps, but the T-Rexs hitting and chomping at the car and the spider at the end just don’t work in 2D. It’s a much lesser attraction now.

I would also say, the crowd in my vehicles in the past usually cheered pretty loudly when the ride finished, and it was more muted this time.

In general, even though Kong has high capacity, it usually has among the longest lines in either park. That's bottom line saying it's one of the most essential attractions in the resort. That's a fact, not just an opinion.
That’s the argument to keep the ride open vs. close it altogether.

But when all those people get off the ride and rate it a 6/10 at the end of their day, doesn’t that make it an obvious candidate to trim back (if savings are necessary) when all of its peers are consistently scoring 7+?

But when all those people get off the ride and rate it a 6/10 at the end of their day, doesn’t that make it an obvious candidate to trim back (if savings are necessary) when all of its peers are consistently scoring 7+?
If one of the few rides the whole family could enjoy together goes potentially from a 6 to a 4 out of 10, you don’t think that hurts brand perception in a meaningful way?

It basically changes the ride from a “mild recommendation” to a “skip it”.

Those aren’t the requirements of being a headlining attraction…and unless you’re implying that High in the Sky and Cat in the Hat are headlining attractions I don’t really think I’m following.

And yet the point remains it gets middling satisfaction scores, is a tertiary (at best) asset to the resort’s overall marketing strategy, and makes no money in merch, food, or attribution of ticket sales.
I'm trying to show just how few attractions at IOA are tailored for entire families... and one of them just got downgraded. I had to lump in those "lesser" attractions because of how few offerings IOA has that aren't thrill/water rides... shows you the vital role Kong plays in IOA's lineup.

There will always be better attractions, but just because one attraction scores lower, it doesn't justify cutting a significant portion of the ride experience. Could you imagine the backlash if WDW removed 3D from Muppet*Vision because they wanted to save on costs... but it's ok since it's not a headliner?

If one of the few rides the whole family could enjoy together goes potentially from a 6 to a a 4 out of 10, you don’t think that hurts brand perception in a meaningful way?
Spot on @HalfGlass - If Universal was losing cash like the Pre-Potter days, I could see the justification... but I was at IOA on Saturday... they have nothing to worry about anytime soon lol

There are far more cost-cutting opportunities available as well before they start impacting the guest experience. IOA has way too many quick service locations open, most of them like Comic Strip and Wimpy's don't need to be open at all as they're usually quite empty.

If social media was as fired up about this as we've been here I don't think this will return after the testing period. Or they're going to make tweaks and it'll be back and more 2D than ever.

Can confirm everything @Brian G. said was true, though I’d also argue the forest scene is lacking too. The motion helps, but the T-Rexs hitting and chomping at the car and the spider at the end just don’t work in 2D. It’s a much lesser attraction now.
I imagine the cliff portion before falling over has less of an effect being flat and probably a bunch more examples. Putting issues aside it's kind of neat to hear how much difference the 3D makes the ride, and where it's most effective. It's good to know that they really did work with 3D in mind when designing the ride and how necessary it is.

It’s not so much blame Epic right now as it is blame Potter wand upgrades, but that’s my interpretation.
That doesn't help in making what's going with cost-cutting topic at hand seem better (taking from one part of the resort to enhance another), but it helps better focus how to approach the subject in this instance.

Your insight is always appreciated!

I’m just looking forward to when they take glasses away from Jimmy Fallon and the scene where he launches stuff, they change his VO to “I wonder what else would look cool in 2D? Ah t-shirt cannon”
No, they'll use actual t-shirt cannons. :lol:

Reactions: HalfGlass

But it appears they were looking to trim back Gringotts, one of the best and popular attractions in Florida, also. Everything points to Efficiency Committee cost BS . Other explanations are diversions to cover for that, in my humble opinion. They'll try to fool the rubes.

Reactions: SpatulaShack
OK. Kong with no outside supporting arguments allowed. ....First two screen scenes don't work well without 3D (Brian G.)....Important parts of the 360 scene loose their effect and depth without 3D ( Half Glass).........Not even counting absence of the outdoor scene......So where does this leave the attraction? Sounds like a wounded, significantly lessened state...........If they keep it 2D after March 9th, I would conjecture that the test result was already determined.....Please prove me wrong, Universal Efficiency Committee and/or other mgt. people. I'll gladly swallow my pride if 3D comes back ;) :D

OK. Kong with no outside supporting arguments allowed. ....First two screen scenes don't work well without 3D (Brian G.)....Important parts of the 360 scene loose their effect and depth without 3D ( Half Glass).........Not even counting absence of the outdoor scene......So where does this leave the attraction? Sounds like a wounded, significantly lessened state...........If they keep it 2D after March 9th, I would conjecture that the test result was already determined.....Please prove me wrong, Universal Efficiency Committee and/or other mgt. people. I'll gladly swallow my pride if 3D comes back ;) :D

I know it’s not “sexy” but the conspiracy theory is out of whack.

This attraction in its bare bones condition now sounds just as bad as Supercharged. Oof.