Skull Island: Reign of Kong - Reviews, Photos, and Videos | Page 10 | Inside Universal Forums

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - Reviews, Photos, and Videos

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Little late the the review party, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. We rode it twice on June 10th, motion platform failed in 360 room on first ride through so we got put on again, got same guide both times.

Pros:
The queue was amazing. I really loved it and it is really a part of the ride in my mind. I don't think I've been in a queue that pumps you up as much as this does with the Witch Room.
360 dome was great. This is probably my favorite screenz moment in a ride. Everything from the wind, water, motion platform, to the film brings this together for a great experience
Kong AA, wow seriously this was highly impressive.
Definitely feel like there is a bit of re-ride-ability in this one.

Cons:
Story. I've read a lot of people harping on the story but I do feel it was the one weak part. Kate coming back to life was odd. I think the worst part of it was the Kong AA. Which after thinking about it I'm not sure is because of our forgettable guide or not. Basically was "Hey Kong saved us YAY!!" Look at how awesome he is, lets drive slowly by him now that we're buds. "OMG PANIC!!! RUN AWAY!!!!" *Weren't we just buds?*
Drivers feel like they are a little over-engineered for the benefits they give due to visibility.

Biggest Question:
How long until someone gets cracked in the head by the doors when unloading? Both times I saw people standing up immediately after the doors went up after hearing the driver, employees, etc kept yelling "Don't stand up until we tell you to!!!" Keep in mind some of these people had just been on it not 5 minutes earlier from our first ride.

I think my current rankings for Universal from queue to ride end
Gringotts
Kong
FJ
Spiderman
Mummy

Current rankings based on ride
MIB
Mummy
Gringotts
Kong
FJ

Little late the the review party, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents. We rode it twice on June 10th, motion platform failed in 360 room on first ride through so we got put on again, got same guide both times.

Pros:
The queue was amazing. I really loved it and it is really a part of the ride in my mind. I don't think I've been in a queue that pumps you up as much as this does with the Witch Room.
360 dome was great. This is probably my favorite screenz moment in a ride. Everything from the wind, water, motion platform, to the film brings this together for a great experience
Kong AA, wow seriously this was highly impressive.
Definitely feel like there is a bit of re-ride-ability in this one.

Cons:
Story. I've read a lot of people harping on the story but I do feel it was the one weak part. Kate coming back to life was odd. I think the worst part of it was the Kong AA. Which after thinking about it I'm not sure is because of our forgettable guide or not. Basically was "Hey Kong saved us YAY!!" Look at how awesome he is, lets drive slowly by him now that we're buds. "OMG PANIC!!! RUN AWAY!!!!" *Weren't we just buds?*
Drivers feel like they are a little over-engineered for the benefits they give due to visibility.

Biggest Question:
How long until someone gets cracked in the head by the doors when unloading? Both times I saw people standing up immediately after the doors went up after hearing the driver, employees, etc kept yelling "Don't stand up until we tell you to!!!" Keep in mind some of these people had just been on it not 5 minutes earlier from our first ride.

I think my current rankings for Universal from queue to ride end
Gringotts
Kong
FJ
Spiderman
Mummy

Current rankings based on ride
MIB
Mummy
Gringotts
Kong
FJ
Nice review. I always like to see those rankings based on the total experience. Good entertaining queues & pre shows have always been an essential part of an attraction in my eyes, not just a boring rope line to wait in. :thumbsup:

SKULL ISLAND
Universal knocked the "Rider Experience" out of the park on this ride.
It starts with the entering into the section and well themed music transition from Jurassic . Forced perspective is done well and makes one seem as though they are truly stumbling upon some ancient temple on a lost island. The Entrance does not intrude on the walkway and as a guest, it makes walking through the Kong Statue threshold even all the better. You're wondering "What did I just walk into, but yet you continue to be amazed by the ancient findings and artifacts and continue walking.

QUEUE
As you continue deeper into the queue, the story becomes more eerie. Not just the story, but the walkway, the lighting, the craft on the walls and ceilings. You begin to embrace what is really about to happen as it is no longer about a voyage, but a sacrifice. Not sure exactly what to call that room, but when you hear the Kong chant with the witch talking S***, you know it's getting real. To see the attention of every single person, child to adult look around in awe as the lighting and sound begin to flicker and roar in sync with the witch saying those spooky words. That is what a QUEUE is all about. To add, the X Factors, the Guy who Stares at you with those devil spelled eyes and the other who literally makes your heart jump out your chest, for pure native involvement. Absolutely stunning and enjoyable among all guest! By far the most entertaining queue in the resort right with Forbidden Journey and Gringotts. (Mummy would be higher if it had more anamatronics or people interaction as well). Just an honest opinion, the queue with all of the skulls inside keeps the "What am I doing " feeling as seeing the many skulls in the outside portion. The slimy creature wasn't scary, but certainly gives the creeps of "UGH", and it is a win for Universal.

LOADING STATION
One will understand they are going on a voyage. If one pays attention to the drivers names on the chart (if loading to the right), your driver name will indicate the type of voyage you may experience. Or simply put, a way to put false fear before you board. Awesome nit bit they included.
Loading does not take long at all. In fact, the way the send riders to their loading lines is very efficient and quick. Once your ride arrives, you feel as though you are def going on a "Journey" but not knowing what to expect, as you see you are going outside but know your inside. "Whats to come" feeling sits in your stomach. But its a feeling Universal wanted you to have. The 71 other riders are right there with you listening to your driver give directions about your voyage. Listen to him, he's giving life tips loL!

THE RIDE
It continues, as you make the left turn and the journey now goes into "Actuality" . You're on the vehicle, and there is no backing away. Now maybe it was just me but I'm not sure exactly what happened between loading station and temple doors because I was so busy paying attention to the people in the queue and didn't hear the driver. Which leads us inside the temple as the huge door reveal a dark wonder. A Wonder which the driver continues to drive into despite his deliberate efforts to express his dissatisfaction with the decision he made lol (My driver was Jinx). I loved the bats anamatronics. Scary creepy as darkness now overtakes your eyesight as you put the 3D Goggles on. The first scene n the cave was just random, but it seemed to entertain most of the guest. If they were going to do screens, they should have done something different in the first seen. Too much potential there to set the tone. The second scene however set the tone. And BOYYYYY did it not disappoint. The vehicle was perfectly in SYNC with what was happening, as well as the driver and the action on the screen.(By the way, the 3D/Screen technology on this ride is by far the BEST int he resort, with Gringotts close behind. ) The third scene is the absolute all outright DEALBRAKER scene. That scene makes or breaks this ride and it certainly made this ride great. I have never felt as real into the action as I did on a simulation imitation ride like I did this ride. Absolutely sunning tech and great use of screens and 3D. The length of the vehicle helps this feel as real as possible. I wish the battle was a little longer but that certainly is the best use of ride,screens,3D, and sound/lighting I have ever experienced. The screens cut off so fast though and you see the grey.white while exiting into the LAVISH BEAUTIFUL tropical foliage that continues the story!

THE ANAMATRONIC
I have been on Kongfrontation, and it was my favorite ride in the resort, for a while right along with Jaws simply because of the real life-like anamatronic. But this here Kong, this King of Skull Island, is revealed so well! WOW. Absolutely stunning. So Stunning I did not even want to take a picture. I sat furthest away from the anamatronic but still had an absolutely killer view of his sheer size and mass as we bypass him at a pedestrian rate of speed. He moves, he blinks, he grunts, he is KONG and that is that. He proved why in the previous scene and you get a true sense that SKULL ISLAND is HIS.

CONCLUSION
All around excellent attraction. I heard many people say after the ride they were disappointed but had a great time. In my honest opinion, it is a family attraction. Now by family I mean, all of anyone who can ride, can ride it. Maybe not family in the sense of PG but definitely "Everyone can ride". There is no shortage of action on this ride and there is no shortage of "Interaction" throughout the entire attraction. I will ride again and again as there is a chance for multiple driver experiences and of course "I Didnt see that the first time " moments. Well done attraction from queue to ride. Was it what I was expecting? Beyond my expectations as I was definitely not looking forward to anything specific. I was disappointed about the ride vehicle, but a clear choice that was beneficial for both Universal and the guest. (I can now understand how they will pull Fast and Furious off if they use the same tech for ride vehicle and it will blow people away).

My suggestion, go on this ride and do this attraction with an open mind. What I mean is, stop what we do on the forums, and enjoy it for your benefit of being a guest when you go and it will assuredly be worth your while. Fun addition to the great line up of attractions at Islands of Adventure.

I shared in the other thread about how the real life clouds brought the backdrop out in this ride. Here it is.
y3msb8SnylKNAAN1KHAMNaCwzLo5lRqcHrhqLNPF774_VwsyFFwmYvHDMzzA57wpm98WRbdpum7iMc2TuSYRZGrr6xTPwDdqtdca5Us7WDe3vc6_-yBAC0ec1Wn6NSvHHMBwxgV0IPK58HcfjuwBJOsuA

Also, in the mess tint, the Banana flavored slushee is delicious. This is coming from a guy who is not high on Banana flavored anything let alone the fruit itself lol. But definitely a must try and glad Universal added this unique flavor to this unique area! Win win.
y3mVf8A8ZaUbP5epY9KAv5RQO54H1snuZg_wUO7jb5nDReE7vvKPz9FEV-shaclGqdXVrP5ew22Dtj579F4Nxh3gB-oSc1BNmEJVTBVFjhBgH4_AZVKmRyzJEiH1WogevdwvhXfHIZCZIFRfcq5y_WJiw

SKULL ISLAND
It starts with the entering into the section and well themed music transition from Jurassic . Forced perspective is done well and makes one seem as though they are truly stumbling upon some ancient temple on a lost island. The Entrance does not intrude on the walkway and as a guest, it makes walking through the Kong Statue threshold even all the better. You're wondering "What did I just walk into, but yet you continue to be amazed by the ancient findings and artifacts and continue walking.

QUEUE
As you continue deeper into the queue, the story becomes more eerie. Not just the story, but the walkway, the lighting, the craft on the walls and ceilings. You begin to embrace what is really about to happen as it is no longer about a voyage, but a sacrifice. Not sure exactly what to call that room, but when you hear the Kong chant with the witch talking S***, you know it's getting real. To see the attention of every single person, child to adult look around in awe as the lighting and sound begin to flicker and roar in sync with the witch saying those spooky words. That is what a QUEUE is all about. To add, the X Factors, the Guy who Stares at you with those devil spelled eyes and the other who literally makes your heart jump out your chest, for pure native involvement. Absolutely stunning and enjoyable among all guest! By far the most entertaining queue in the resort right with Forbidden Journey and Gringotts. (Mummy would be higher if it had more anamatronics or people interaction as well). Just an honest opinion, the queue with all of the skulls inside keeps the "What am I doing " feeling as seeing the many skulls in the outside portion. The slimy creature wasn't scary, but certainly gives the creeps of "UGH", and it is a win for Universal.

LOADING STATION
One will understand they are going on a voyage. If one pays attention to the drivers names on the chart (if loading to the right), your driver name will indicate the type of voyage you may experience. Or simply put, a way to put false fear before you board. Awesome nit bit they included.
Loading does not take long at all. In fact, the way the send riders to their loading lines is very efficient and quick. Once your ride arrives, you feel as though you are def going on a "Journey" but not knowing what to expect, as you see you are going outside but know your inside. "Whats to come" feeling sits in your stomach. But its a feeling Universal wanted you to have. The 71 other riders are right there with you listening to your driver give directions about your voyage. Listen to him, he's giving life tips loL!

THE RIDE
It continues, as you make the left turn and the journey now goes into "Actuality" . You're on the vehicle, and there is no backing away. Now maybe it was just me but I'm not sure exactly what happened between loading station and temple doors because I was so busy paying attention to the people in the queue and didn't hear the driver. Which leads us inside the temple as the huge door reveal a dark wonder. A Wonder which the driver continues to drive into despite his deliberate efforts to express his dissatisfaction with the decision he made lol (My driver was Jinx). I loved the bats anamatronics. Scary creepy as darkness now overtakes your eyesight as you put the 3D Goggles on. The first scene n the cave was just random, but it seemed to entertain most of the guest. If they were going to do screens, they should have done something different in the first seen. Too much potential there to set the tone. The second scene however set the tone. And BOYYYYY did it not disappoint. The vehicle was perfectly in SYNC with what was happening, as well as the driver and the action on the screen.(By the way, the 3D/Screen technology on this ride is by far the BEST int he resort, with Gringotts close behind. ) The third scene is the absolute all outright DEALBRAKER scene. That scene makes or breaks this ride and it certainly made this ride great. I have never felt as real into the action as I did on a simulation imitation ride like I did this ride. Absolutely sunning tech and great use of screens and 3D. The length of the vehicle helps this feel as real as possible. I wish the battle was a little longer but that certainly is the best use of ride,screens,3D, and sound/lighting I have ever experienced. The screens cut off so fast though and you see the grey.white while exiting into the LAVISH BEAUTIFUL tropical foliage that continues the story!

THE ANAMATRONIC
I have been on Kongfrontation, and it was my favorite ride in the resort, for a while right along with Jaws simply because of the real life-like anamatronic. But this here Kong, this King of Skull Island, is revealed so well! WOW. Absolutely stunning. So Stunning I did not even want to take a picture. I sat furthest away from the anamatronic but still had an absolutely killer view of his sheer size and mass as we bypass him at a pedestrian rate of speed. He moves, he blinks, he grunts, he is KONG and that is that. He proved why in the previous scene and you get a true sense that SKULL ISLAND is HIS.

CONCLUSION
All around excellent attraction. I heard many people say after the ride they were disappointed but had a great time. In my honest opinion, it is a family attraction. Now by family I mean, all of anyone who can ride, can ride it. Maybe not family in the sense of PG but definitely "Everyone can ride". There is no shortage of action on this ride and there is no shortage of "Interaction" throughout the entire attraction. I will ride again and again as there is a chance for multiple driver experiences and of course "I Didnt see that the first time " moments. Well done attraction from queue to ride. Was it what I was expecting? Beyond my expectations as I was definitely not looking forward to anything specific. I was disappointed about the ride vehicle, but a clear choice that was beneficial for both Universal and the guest. (I can now understand how they will pull Fast and Furious off if they use the same tech for ride vehicle and it will blow people away).

My suggestion, go on this ride and do this attraction with an open mind. What I mean is, stop what we do on the forums, and enjoy it for your benefit of being a guest when you go and it will assuredly be worth your while. Fun addition to the great line up of attractions at Islands of Adventure.
One of the best reviews I've read so far. The review flowed like an exciting story. Glad your expectations were exceeded. Thank you. :thumbsup::cheers:

One of the best reviews I've read so far. The review flowed like an exciting story. Glad your expectations were exceeded. Thank you. :thumbsup::cheers:
When I choose to put in the effort, I do very well with word organization and sentence structure. I have a creative mind and enjoy sharing my experiences as someone reading a book. While reading a book , one needs a reason to turn the next page. As a general rule, I structure experiences that are important to me in the sense of someone turning the next page so they will want to read on. This in relation to Kong, will have one wanting to ride for their selves so they can witness their own story. But thank you kindly.

Question for everyone about the drivers. I figured they were all named "Jinx" just like in Disaster everyone was named "Lonnie". The driver says something along the lines of "Hey I'm blah but everyone calls me Jinx"

Is that not the case?

Question for everyone about the drivers. I figured they were all named "Jinx" just like in Disaster everyone was named "Lonnie". The driver says something along the lines of "Hey I'm blah but everyone calls me Jinx"

Is that not the case?
The drivers definitely have different names and narration. I've had Doc, Denham and the native girl

Jinx and Kalana (Kahana?) seem to have been the first two operating. Doc may have been there but didn't show up in videos until a little later. Adding Denham would be a sign of progress. I think that just leaves Callie.

Reactions: Ryno27
The drivers definitely have different names and narration. I've had Doc, Denham and the native girl
Thanks good to know. I guess both my rides I had Jinx then. I had thought that Kate in the movie had said Jinx so I automatically just figured that was the nickname that everyone was given.

SKULL ISLAND

QUEUE

LOADING STATION

THE RIDE

THE ANAMATRONIC

CONCLUSION

Thanks for the excellent review, you put many of my feelings in words I would not be able to come up with.

Reactions: Mad Dog
My husband said we can go to Universal from July 7 to the 11th.... but only if we can get on Reign of Kong b/c otherwise it will not be worth going.
What are the odds that we can get on the ride? I really need a vacation.
Chance of riding percentage?

My husband said we can go to Universal from July 7 to the 11th.... but only if we can get on Reign of Kong b/c otherwise it will not be worth going.
What are the odds that we can get on the ride? I really need a vacation.
Chance of riding percentage?
I would wait until Friday or Saturday to make a decision. If Universal's going to move Kong into regular mode from technical softs, with the crowds of the holiday weekend, that's the perfect time for them to open the ride up. Everythings up in the air at this point in time.

Reactions: JoeCamel