Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Skull Island: Reign of Kong - Reviews, Photos, and Videos

Ride was well done, but it felt like it could've used another scene or two. Another AA would've been cool as well. Great addition to the resort and to IOA, but again I think the original 3-D attraction still reigns supreme. Long live Spidey. Love this ride though and can't wait for it to be operating fully so I can single rider my way on.

looks like this attraction will be a slow moving single rider. It seems like every car is already being loaded to capacity. But that is just speculation

At this point I'm not sure they'll open single rider - it's the same queue as what would be express. They might just not do it at all and rework the area for the standby line or they might just leave it an accommodations line (readmits, medical passes) like Journey uses its express line.

At this point I'm not sure they'll open single rider - it's the same queue as what would be express. They might just not do it at all and rework the area for the standby line or they might just leave it an accommodations line (readmits, medical passes) like Journey uses its express line.

The two entrances are marked "attraction entrance" and "single riders", oddly enough. No express markings that I could see.

Well, I rode it!!

I won't give a summary of the ride as those have already been given..

What I Liked About the Ride:
- The queue is very cool and has some nods to the old Dueling Dragons queue (perhaps unintentional)
- The animatronic witch room is so cool..not sure if anyone caught the Kong roar at a particular moment
- The giant slug, so creepy looking...Can I just say that I am so glad Universal is getting more comfortable with AAs
- The cars are so neat and the driver really helps to 'sell it'
- The outdoor portion is so unique to any Universal attraction..I loved that element to the ride
- The 3D is crazy and I truly thought some of the bats were coming in to the vehicle, never experienced this in a ride before
- I love the scene as you drive in to the temple and the doors close
- The motion base on the second screen felt super crazy as it synched up perfectly with the screen motion..The water effect here was super gross and awesome..
- I had no working motion in the 360 scene...it was still very crazy and people were still screaming
- The Kong AA....oh man...That made the ride worth it..Those 20 seconds with the AA is one of the best ride moments Universal has ever created..

What I Didn't Like About the Ride:
- This ride "felt" short...The action is just so crazy that you miss a ton on it if you don't focus and study the scenes..I would have liked to have seen at least one or two more scenes, with just animatronics or set pieces (That would have driven the attraction over Spidey for me)..
- In the 360 scene you can see the top edge of the screen...small gripe but it did effect my ride a bit..
- In the 360 scene there are some black barricades (??) around the motion platform..When the video speeds up as if the car is accelerating you can still see that the car is going at a snails pace..That effected me a bit

General Notes:
- There was no motion base in the 360 scene during my ride...Also no wind/water effects
- The 360 room froze for a bit and reset so I can't comment on the transition from that room

As I walked out of the ride, I noticed a family with two small boys (about 8 or 9)...The kids were jumping up and down in excitement I must quote the dialog as it brings up an important point:
Mom: "Did you like it? What did you think?"
Boys: "IT WAS AWESOME!"
Mom: "How about that big Kong in there"
One of the Boys: "Scary, but I though he was awesome too" (gibberish after that)
Mom: "You guys were so brave"

I think we get ahead of ourselves sometimes and think that we the "theme park fan" are the most important person to be pleased on every ride, we are not...Me as a 20 something think I am the target audience of every ride, I am not..
I remembered back to the days when I rode Kongfrontation, I was scared, nervous and didn't want to go..My parents convinced me to get on and I agreed..I remember thinking the ride was crazy cool and now here I am, writing a review on a Universal fan site about the same giant ape..As I saw those two kids jumping in excitement feeling brave about the ride they had just conquered, I had to wonder to myself "Maybe the next generation of Universal fans will remember the time Kong first looked them in the eyes."

Beautiful review. And you liked it even though it wasn't near 100%. Love the anecdotes with the kids & your childhood. I think this is going to be one of those rides, like Gringotts, that get better the more you ride it. I'm going to try to get a least a dozen rides in when I go in the Fall. I'm sure it will be 100% by then.....Thanks for the insightful review. :thumbsup:

I was fortunate enough to be able to ride yesterday, and first off I was really impressed overall!

I thought the look and feel of the ride's exterior were awesome, even if I factor out the "new ride" excitement. Finally seeing everything up close, without walls, and seeing those massive trucks drive by full of people is something for which photos and videos just don't do justice. The music, the look and feel of the area, and the kinetic energy of watching the trucks travel the outside portion of the ride really sets a tone of excitement and anticipation in a way I haven't seen at an attraction in a long time. Even the outside portion of the queue was more interesting because I got to watch those ride vehicles drive by every few minutes.

As far as the interior queue goes, everyone has pretty much said anything I could say at this point, but here are a few of my thoughts:

-The creepy, dark tone feels like a nice change of pace from some of the other, more vibrant queues in this park.
-Witch room is awesome in person, and that soundtrack is LOUD in person. Only downside is I could see it getting to be to much if you're stuck in there for an extended downtime.
-Scareactor section is a neat addition, but I can see where it is nowhere near as scary as an HHN house like some of us hoped it might be. (The group behind us thought it was funny that my friend and I were completely unfazed by the actor).
-I actually think my favorite part of the queue was the last section before unload. Seeing the AA worm up close was great. Also, listening to the radio transmissions playing in between the safety spiel, I actually got at least a broad sense of the story, and they help to build suspense about the upcoming journey.
-Also....that whole process of checking the doors with "The Sticks" was just goofy to watch in person.

As for the ride itself, there were one or two technical bugs (no pun intended) so I admit I didn't get the "full" experience. I sat on the right side (yay!) in the third row (eh). I'll refrain from forming any final opinions until I ride it in its full glory, but again, my thoughts:

-I can absolutely see where missing the outside portion detracts from the ride experience. I enjoyed the setup you get for both your driver and the expedition, and the movement is much more dynamic than I had expected it be from the overhead pictures of the track.
-Seeing the gates open for you in person from the right side is pretty stunning.
-The first room, much like the queue, serves as a neat setup, and I had a great view of the AA bats.
-The cave and bug scenes were pretty much what I expected them to be. Other than the human characters (which do look kind of video-gamey), I thought the 3d and animation was very well done. It really reminded me of Gringotts.
-Unfortunately, the motion base in the 360 scene was not working on my ride. I don't want to pass any judgment on how it is when its working, but in spite of the good animation it really doesn't pack the punch that it should when the truck isn't reacting to what's going on around it.
-As for the big finale....holy wow that AA is amazing. Being in the right seat I had a completely unobstructed view of it and couldn't take my eyes off of it. I know some people feel like you go by it too fast, but I felt like I had plenty of time to appreciate it. My one minor issue with the scene is the fact that it's more of a "nervous stare-down" than a dynamic encounter, but the upshot of that is being able to just soak it in. Honestly, even if I hated every other scene I would get back in line for this AA alone.

Other than the motion base not working, the only other glitch I encountered was hearing the ending audio play right after loading, which was just a little bit odd.

As for my overall review, I won't have a firm opinion on the ride until I get to ride it with everything working properly, but I'm happy to say that I still wasn't disappointed. I don't see this taking the top spot in terms of favorites, but I could definitely place it in my top five and see this as a must-do whenever I end up in Islands.

TL:DR - Loved the facade, queue and ride. Didn't have the motion base during the 360 scene but still enjoyed the ride. Kong AA is incredible.

I was fortunate enough to be able to ride yesterday, and first off I was really impressed overall!

I thought the look and feel of the ride's exterior were awesome, even if I factor out the "new ride" excitement. Finally seeing everything up close, without walls, and seeing those massive trucks drive by full of people is something for which photos and videos just don't do justice. The music, the look and feel of the area, and the kinetic energy of watching the trucks travel the outside portion of the ride really sets a tone of excitement and anticipation in a way I haven't seen at an attraction in a long time. Even the outside portion of the queue was more interesting because I got to watch those ride vehicles drive by every few minutes.

As far as the interior queue goes, everyone has pretty much said anything I could say at this point, but here are a few of my thoughts:

-The creepy, dark tone feels like a nice change of pace from some of the other, more vibrant queues in this park.
-Witch room is awesome in person, and that soundtrack is LOUD in person. Only downside is I could see it getting to be to much if you're stuck in there for an extended downtime.
-Scareactor section is a neat addition, but I can see where it is nowhere near as scary as an HHN house like some of us hoped it might be. (The group behind us thought it was funny that my friend and I were completely unfazed by the actor).
-I actually think my favorite part of the queue was the last section before unload. Seeing the AA worm up close was great. Also, listening to the radio transmissions playing in between the safety spiel, I actually got at least a broad sense of the story, and they help to build suspense about the upcoming journey.
-Also....that whole process of checking the doors with "The Sticks" was just goofy to watch in person.

As for the ride itself, there were one or two technical bugs (no pun intended) so I admit I didn't get the "full" experience. I sat on the right side (yay!) in the third row (eh). I'll refrain from forming any final opinions until I ride it in its full glory, but again, my thoughts:

-I can absolutely see where missing the outside portion detracts from the ride experience. I enjoyed the setup you get for both your driver and the expedition, and the movement is much more dynamic than I had expected it be from the overhead pictures of the track.
-Seeing the gates open for you in person from the right side is pretty stunning.
-The first room, much like the queue, serves as a neat setup, and I had a great view of the AA bats.
-The cave and bug scenes were pretty much what I expected them to be. Other than the human characters (which do look kind of video-gamey), I thought the 3d and animation was very well done. It really reminded me of Gringotts.
-Unfortunately, the motion base in the 360 scene was not working on my ride. I don't want to pass any judgment on how it is when its working, but in spite of the good animation it really doesn't pack the punch that it should when the truck isn't reacting to what's going on around it.
-As for the big finale....holy wow that AA is amazing. Being in the right seat I had a completely unobstructed view of it and couldn't take my eyes off of it. I know some people feel like you go by it too fast, but I felt like I had plenty of time to appreciate it. My one minor issue with the scene is the fact that it's more of a "nervous stare-down" than a dynamic encounter, but the upshot of that is being able to just soak it in. Honestly, even if I hated every other scene I would get back in line for this AA alone.

Other than the motion base not working, the only other glitch I encountered was hearing the ending audio play right after loading, which was just a little bit odd.

As for my overall review, I won't have a firm opinion on the ride until I get to ride it with everything working properly, but I'm happy to say that I still wasn't disappointed. I don't see this taking the top spot in terms of favorites, but I could definitely place it in my top five and see this as a must-do whenever I end up in Islands.

TL:DR - Loved the facade, queue and ride. Didn't have the motion base during the 360 scene but still enjoyed the ride. Kong AA is incredible.
It will be interesting to see your rating after a 100% ride. Nice review. Thanks much.

I feel pretty good about the ride. If there are THIS many reviews coming in finding faults, but overall saying that it's a great ride, it indicates that people are enthusiastic, but balanced.
I'm looking forward to September.

I feel pretty good about the ride. If there are THIS many reviews coming in finding faults, but overall saying that it's a great ride, it indicates that people are enthusiastic, but balanced.
I'm looking forward to September.
Yeah, that's the way I've been looking at it too. Actually, the reviews of the Kong ride when having issues is still better than a lot of the initial Gringott's reviews when it was still having issues. I'm feeling pretty confident right now that I'm going to really enjoy this attraction, especially repeat rides.

I rode Friday twice. First time got the full experience and second time using the bypass due to weather. This ride is as of right now my favorite experience at Universal.

Queue:
It hands down has the best queue at the resort with the witch room being one of my favorite queue experiences of all time. I think part of what makes the so ride effective is that there is a sustained buildup as you navigate the queue. Outdoors the facade stands ominous and foreboding with the vehicles going by giving you a taste of the experience to come. The outdoor radios alternate between some new reports that add narrative broken up with period appropriate music. This is the best outdoor queue that, as long as the super extended queue isn't being used, keeps you completely immersed from the second you step though the stone Kong head entrance until you exit the building. Once inside the first two rooms have statues and a plethora of skulls that immediately give a sense of dread to those entering. After the first two rooms you come across the screen native that is peeking at you as you walk by. A lot of people around me in line commented that they thought that was a real person as it is recessed enough and has the perfect lighting to make it very convincing. From here you move on to the witch room and this is personally where you start to really feel pulled into the situation. The witch has such fluid motion and the fire effect above her is very effective. Her chant that leads to a thunderous roar of Kong as the flame effects flare and all other lights go out simply puts a chill down your spine. My only complaint about this scene is that at the end the witch pauses for a second or two as the lights burn bright and then return to normal as she resets back to the beginning of her loop. I wish instead at this point the whole room went pitch black as another loud Kong roar echos through the room but I guess the concern there would be safety and scare factor. From there you move on to where the scare actor is located. This is the one aspect of the queue that actually disappointed me. Being a huge HHN I guess I was expecting that they would be in more than just one spot. There were 4 boo holes so I am curious if there is supposed to be 2 actors working the area when fully staffed or if 1 actor is all we get. It seems that they only used the first two holes which made me think there was supposed to be 2. The slug is really cool and most of the little kids seem to just mush their faces up to the glass and look at it with amazement. As others have said there is then a fork before load. Rode rows 8 and 4, and i think somewhere around row 8 is the best location overall. Second time I asked for row 4 and they accommodated me. The TM even told me that load each section from back to front (left fork loads row 6 to 1, right fork loads row 12 to 7. So she just had us step aside and then allowed me to get my desired row when she go to it. Also first time I also requested right side of vehicle and was accommodated.

Ride:
I feel the outside portion really ties the whole experience together and makes it feel like a much more tangible experience like you are really going though the wall into Skull Island than just entering a show building. I don't feel the bypass ruins the ride but it just gives it that extra something special that puts the ride over the edge. The one nice thing was on my second ride when we did use the bypass, the driver does comment that we are in a crunch for time and he is taking us directly into the cave system.
The projection in this ride has the most crisp and pristine image quality as the resort to date and the most effective usage of 3D. Like others have said where most of the time the 3D is Universals other attractions are mostly to give depth to scenes, here we are not only given amazing depth but it really has some elements that come out of the screen at you. The bats, worms, and when the V-Rex and Kong "hit" the ride vehicle all really feel like they are coming within feet of you. The motion bases are also really effective at what they do and I feel really bad for those that have not gotten motion in the 360 portion because like @Disneyhead has mentioned, the part where you swing back and forth in the vines is the most convincing simulated effect they have used yet. The only part of the 360 portion where the motion felt lackluster was the final part where you fall from the vines to be caught from Kong and that is obviously due to the more limited action of the motion base in this ride as compared to the scoop vehicles or the track in the free fall scene in Gringotts. @Teebin do you know the maximum angle that the Kong motion bases can tilt to? Also a shutout to the motion base in the bug pit scene as while the motion is subtle, it really makes you feel like the vehicle is floating the the goop in the bug pit. Last but not least the Kong animatronic is very impressive. I get the desire for some for him to hit the vehicle or been more enraged but I feel that would have betrayed the ride. He just saved us from the V-Rex and I get the sense that while he doesn't want to hurt us, his stare and roar are to assert dominance that you are on his turf and he is the King.
My biggest complaint is the ride is too condensed. I do not mean this by time as I feel it is a good length as I feel those that sense it is short is due to losing track of time in the 360 portion as you are really drawn into the action. By condensed I mean that you go from being in a cave, to the bottom of a canyon in a big pit, to being in the middle of the jungle in the span of 200 feet. As much as people say the building is huge and whatnot it is actually tucked into a rather compact plot of land and the ride had to be designed to fit within those confines and I accept that. There is also that second portion of screen in the 360 part as you exit that was not working.
I can understand where those that are tired of screens are coming from, but I feel that if the screens are well done and add to the experience I do not mind. It is not nearly the most thrilling ride on property but it is personally up there with Gringotts as a deeply satisfying experience. I will rank this in two fashions, overall experience and then purely the ride. The one thing that Universal has nailed lately is the completely immersive experience which has been executed with Diagon Alley, Gringotts, and Kong, which is why they are my top 2 experiences at the resort.

Expereince:
1. Kong
2. Gringotts
3. Spideran
4. FJ
5. Mummy

Ride:
1. Spiderman
2. Gringotts
3. Kong
4. Mummy
5. FJ

Beautiful review. And you liked it even though it wasn't near 100%. Love the anecdotes with the kids & your childhood. I think this is going to be one of those rides, like Gringotts, that get better the more you ride it. I'm going to try to get a least a dozen rides in when I go in the Fall. I'm sure it will be 100% by then.....Thanks for the insightful review. :thumbsup:

Thanks, I honestly can't wait to ride it again!

I rode Friday twice. First time got the full experience and second time using the bypass due to weather. This ride is as of right now my favorite experience at Universal.

Queue:
It hands down has the best queue at the resort with the witch room being one of my favorite queue experiences of all time. I think part of what makes the so ride effective is that there is a sustained buildup as you navigate the queue. Outdoors the facade stands ominous and foreboding with the vehicles going by giving you a taste of the experience to come. The outdoor radios alternate between some new reports that add narrative broken up with period appropriate music. This is the best outdoor queue that, as long as the super extended queue isn't being used, keeps you completely immersed from the second you step though the stone Kong head entrance until you exit the building. Once inside the first two rooms have statues and a plethora of skulls that immediately give a sense of dread to those entering. After the first two rooms you come across the screen native that is peeking at you as you walk by. A lot of people around me in line commented that they thought that was a real person as it is recessed enough and has the perfect lighting to make it very convincing. From here you move on to the witch room and this is personally where you start to really feel pulled into the situation. The witch has such fluid motion and the fire effect above her is very effective. Her chant that leads to a thunderous roar of Kong as the flame effects flare and all other lights go out simply puts a chill down your spine. My only complaint about this scene is that at the end the witch pauses for a second or two as the lights burn bright and then return to normal as she resets back to the beginning of her loop. I wish instead at this point the whole room went pitch black as another loud Kong roar echos through the room but I guess the concern there would be safety and scare factor. From there you move on to where the scare actor is located. This is the one aspect of the queue that actually disappointed me. Being a huge HHN I guess I was expecting that they would be in more than just one spot. There were 4 boo holes so I am curious if there is supposed to be 2 actors working the area when fully staffed or if 1 actor is all we get. It seems that they only used the first two holes which made me think there was supposed to be 2. The slug is really cool and most of the little kids seem to just mush their faces up to the glass and look at it with amazement. As others have said there is then a fork before load. Rode rows 8 and 4, and i think somewhere around row 8 is the best location overall. Second time I asked for row 4 and they accommodated me. The TM even told me that load each section from back to front (left fork loads row 6 to 1, right fork loads row 12 to 7. So she just had us step aside and then allowed me to get my desired row when she go to it. Also first time I also requested right side of vehicle and was accommodated.

Ride:
I feel the outside portion really ties the whole experience together and makes it feel like a much more tangible experience like you are really going though the wall into Skull Island than just entering a show building. I don't feel the bypass ruins the ride but it just gives it that extra something special that puts the ride over the edge. The one nice thing was on my second ride when we did use the bypass, the driver does comment that we are in a crunch for time and he is taking us directly into the cave system.
The projection in this ride has the most crisp and pristine image quality as the resort to date and the most effective usage of 3D. Like others have said where most of the time the 3D is Universals other attractions are mostly to give depth to scenes, here we are not only given amazing depth but it really has some elements that come out of the screen at you. The bats, worms, and when the V-Rex and Kong "hit" the ride vehicle all really feel like they are coming within feet of you. The motion bases are also really effective at what they do and I feel really bad for those that have not gotten motion in the 360 portion because like @Disneyhead has mentioned, the part where you swing back and forth in the vines is the most convincing simulated effect they have used yet. The only part of the 360 portion where the motion felt lackluster was the final part where you fall from the vines to be caught from Kong and that is obviously due to the more limited action of the motion base in this ride as compared to the scoop vehicles or the track in the free fall scene in Gringotts. @Teebin do you know the maximum angle that the Kong motion bases can tilt to? Also a shutout to the motion base in the bug pit scene as while the motion is subtle, it really makes you feel like the vehicle is floating the the goop in the bug pit. Last but not least the Kong animatronic is very impressive. I get the desire for some for him to hit the vehicle or been more enraged but I feel that would have betrayed the ride. He just saved us from the V-Rex and I get the sense that while he doesn't want to hurt us, his stare and roar are to assert dominance that you are on his turf and he is the King.
My biggest complaint is the ride is too condensed. I do not mean this by time as I feel it is a good length as I feel those that sense it is short is due to losing track of time in the 360 portion as you are really drawn into the action. By condensed I mean that you go from being in a cave, to the bottom of a canyon in a big pit, to being in the middle of the jungle in the span of 200 feet. As much as people say the building is huge and whatnot it is actually tucked into a rather compact plot of land and the ride had to be designed to fit within those confines and I accept that. There is also that second portion of screen in the 360 part as you exit that was not working.
I can understand where those that are tired of screens are coming from, but I feel that if the screens are well done and add to the experience I do not mind. It is not nearly the most thrilling ride on property but it is personally up there with Gringotts as a deeply satisfying experience. I will rank this in two fashions, overall experience and then purely the ride. The one thing that Universal has nailed lately is the completely immersive experience which has been executed with Diagon Alley, Gringotts, and Kong, which is why they are my top 2 experiences at the resort.

Expereince:
1. Kong
2. Gringotts
3. Spideran
4. FJ
5. Mummy

Ride:
1. Spiderman
2. Gringotts
3. Kong
4. Mummy
5. FJ
Nice thorough review. You really touched on just about everything. Great that you got to ride it in near 100% condition, and both outside & indoor entrances. I liked how you continued that little trend that we seem to have started on this thread of rating it as both a total attraction (Experience) and ride. With Universal making these fantastic queues, it is a fairer & more complete way to judge an attraction. I've always felt attractions should be judged this way. Thanks. :thumbsup:

And this is why going on a ride during technical rehearsals is a terrible idea.
Today was Kong day for me, the day I waited 2 and a half years for. Giant line, will power through it. The queue is the best one on site by far. The witch room, AAs involved, the musion effect and the overall sense of evil people watching you is unlike anything else. Ridiculous sense of dread, architecture that's otherworldly, it's a masterpiece of design. Sadly there was no native when I walked though, I bought him a candy bar to see how he'd react to it and just ended up eating it myself.

Got to the load area after two hours in line, the second we are about to be put in rows, something bugged out and the ride had to be cycled again and again for a literal hour. Thank god I had company with me for there was no cell service in the area. Finally we got on with a roaring applause. All running great (besides bat AAs not moving) until the bug scene, we got stuck. The audio kept going though as we heard the 360 scene next door perfectly through our RV, with only being able to see a small glimpse of it. After missing 90% of it, we finally drove in there only to go straight to the Kong room where he was shrouded in darkness. Couldn't see him whatsoever and he didn't move a muscle although his sound and breath worked. We went to the loading dock drained and visibly upset. They were kind enough to let us ride again however it wasn't much better. Stuck in the bat room, bug and 360 scenes worked and then the same thing happened again with Kong. We didn't want to ask for the favor again so we left insanely disappointed.

From what we saw however, it was incredible. The bat scene was really well done, bug scene gave me the heebie jeebies and the 360 room was absolutely breathtaking and filled to the brim with action, you must ride it multiple times to get all of it. the scope of the entire attraction is just unbelievable and NOTHING compares to it. The two drivers we got (the native relative and doc) were both really interesting and added tons of re rideablity, can't wait to do the other 3. It felt short but from the eyes of a massive Kong fan, what I saw was nothing short of fantastic. I am beyond bummed today didn't work out and I didn't see it all and for that reason I'm not gonna judge it as a whole until I do (most likely when hulk opens).

I want you all to use my story as a lesson, tech rehearsals suck and youll most likely have a small chance of having a perfect attraction experience. If you feel lucky and want to, then by all means do it. But as of now you're riding a broken ride until it officially opens. I definitely think universal should've done more tests and made sure everything really worked before releasing it to the public but hey, I'm a guest and don't know the reasons why

Last edited:
So glad you got to at least experience a "preview" of it, @Cole. I promise, when all the kinks are worked out, you are going to absolutely love it.