Space Mountain Refurbishment | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Space Mountain Refurbishment

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
DL's version has the cool soundtrack feature and neat effects, but I hate that it has only one drop...one very lame drop, I might add. It's smooth, which is nice, but it's a by-the-numbers track layout. MK's is wonky--the ride is all over the place and just feels wild. And looking to the side of behind you during those great whiplash moments (a la donkey trick on Big Thunder) is just a crazy good feeling--definitely try looking to the side or back during the turns if you haven't already! And of course, MK's has three solid drops, the last one being especially good in my opinion. Without the out-of-control feeling, I feel like all the fun would be gone.

DL's version has the cool soundtrack feature and neat effects, but I hate that it has only one drop...one very lame drop, I might add. It's smooth, which is nice, but it's a by-the-numbers track layout. MK's is wonky--the ride is all over the place and just feels wild. And looking to the side of behind you during those great whiplash moments (a la donkey trick on Big Thunder) is just a crazy good feeling--definitely try looking to the side or back during the turns if you haven't already! And of course, MK's has three solid drops, the last one being especially good in my opinion. Without the out-of-control feeling, I feel like all the fun would be gone.

Still makes you a heretic. :lol:

I have no problem with MK's track layout. I do have a problem with it's painful restraints and rough ride. If they sorted that out, gave MK onboard audio, and some new effects, I'd love MK's

I have no problem with MK's track layout. I do have a problem with it's painful restraints and rough ride. If they sorted that out, gave MK onboard audio, and some new effects, I'd love MK's

Sums up my opinion. I've been on both - right now, gotta say I prefer Disneyland's from a show perspective... far better presentation and on-ride experience. I prefer WDW's track layout immensely, and were they to give it the same upgrades as Disneyland (new, smoother track, onboard audio, upgraded visual effects) I'd be 100% for WDW.

Oh, well then we are definitely on the same page! As long as a smoother track left in the same speed Im cool...but them adding trim brakes everywhere is going to ruin it IMO.

Oh, well then we are definitely on the same page! As long as a smoother track left in the same speed Im cool...but them adding trim brakes everywhere is going to ruin it IMO.

Agree 100%!

The layout of the track is not Space Mountain's problem. It's the fact that its old and could use brand new track as well as more accommodating trains...especially considering how many taller and heavier people there are visiting WDW in comparison to 1975.

Oh yeah...and give us a real onboard soundtrack and effects! (The lifthill could use a complete retheme!)

MKs space mountain may be a bit rough but it is better than the DLP one, shooting off at the start is fun but there are breaking zones every 100m along the track, just made it uncomfortable.

Never been to DL, so I can't compare the two. But I will say that I've been enjoying Space Mountain at MK from the 80s, and it never gets old. It is a little rough, but that's what makes it fun; rough, wild, and pardon the pun, "out of this world"! It's hands down my favorite ride in all of WDW. And apparently I'm not the only one who loves it. Every timeI I visit MK, Space Mountain consistently has one of, if not the longest wait times in the park.

After finally going to Disneyland I can say I was overall disappointed with their Space Mountain.(ready to get some hate on that) It is really smooth but it is not enough thrill to it. With no air time drops there is no point in it being in the dark for the extra thrill. It felt more like a Wild Mouse with smooth broad turns. I will take WDW's any day over that.

After finally going to Disneyland I can say I was overall disappointed with their Space Mountain.(ready to get some hate on that) It is really smooth but it is not enough thrill to it. With no air time drops there is no point in it being in the dark for the extra thrill. It felt more like a Wild Mouse with smooth broad turns. I will take WDW's any day over that.

Agreed...fun ride, but MK's is a different beast, one that's actually thrilling to go on.

- - - Updated - - -

Never been to DL, so I can't compare the two. But I will say that I've been enjoying Space Mountain at MK from the 80s, and it never gets old. It is a little rough, but that's what makes it fun; rough, wild, and pardon the pun, "out of this world"! It's hands down my favorite ride in all of WDW. And apparently I'm not the only one who loves it. Every timeI I visit MK, Space Mountain consistently has one of, if not the longest wait times in the park.

I was gonna say something about the wait times, but I realized that it has a piss-poor capacity, especially when factoring in FP's, so long lines aren't really an argument in defense of it.

There are reasons it always has a long wait. For one, not great capacity...secondly the thing breaks down all the time so lines build, and third...it's one of the only more thrilling rides in the park. I figure if there's at least two or three newer thrills added, Space's wait would definitely not hit the 100 minute mark.

I'm firmly in the camp of tear it to the ground. I do not enjoy coming off this ride in pain. Give me a smooth ride in the dark with some decent thrills, without me holding my back when I get off.

I swear like 3 years ago SM didn't have such long lines, yet on my last two trips it's been ridiculous... Maybe more FPs are distributed or maybe it's breaking down more but my last two trips I haven't seen it under a 60 minute wait.

Haven't seen anyone post any updates regarding the Space Mountain closures, but I just rode for the first time since the September closures. Rumors were true. Trim brake added before the big drop near the end of the ride. It's magnetic and pretty noticeable :-(

- Todd

Reactions: Cwoolboy