Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 324 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I mean, he's not wrong though. There are characters like The Mandalorian and Grogu in Batuu at WDW. People are interacting with the characters organically in a big way.
I'm going to be difficult for a moment... meet and greets aren't organic. Batuu is a remote trading post. Darth Vader wouldn't walk around a remote trading post. Chewbacca wouldn't be signing autographs at a remote trading post. The Mandolorian shouldn't stand around Batuu taking pictures with people. Batuu would be filled with locals milling about.

Now that I'm done being difficult - that's not my take, that’s WDI's take. Meet and greets would have been a lot better than what was cut, especially considering there’s actually hourly entertainment in the land (the Stormtroopers by the TIE fighter) that nobody seems to either remember or care about.

It's really a shame that the main source of what people think Galaxy's Edge "could have been" was that dumb Jim Hill article.

Last edited:
Then I think they probably should've done a better job marketing it imo, because I do remember the Tomorrowland event vividly.

It's one thing not to have like 20 characters running around Disneyland-style, but to not even offer Ahsoka as a promotional meet n greet for a few months is just weird to me. They spent millions on the Starcruiser flop and then refuse to throw anything in the actual land? Again, are all of the Starcruiser costumes just collecting dust now? The droids? The weird alien prosthetics? Do they even plan on making the dinner theatre anymore? They made such a big deal about the Figment meet and greet returning a few years back, and then choose not to do anything else?

I guess I just don't get why Disney World can't do this. Especially when Disneyland and even Universal Orlando offers Meet & Greet characters practically everywhere you go. I understand why they don't want to, but I disagree with them and feel like it makes the parks feel a little lifeless, strict, and less engaging. It feels like penny-pinching and a laid-back attitude of "Well, the people will pay for the tickets anyways." which I absolutely hate and refuse to accept as an answer.

I think I just want it to feel like Disney World is actively working to be the #1 Resort on planet earth in ways other than Popcorn buckets and $200 Upcharge events (Jollywood Nights didn't even include very many character encounters for the first week or so). It's not difficult or crazy expensive to set up a meet and greet. Reedy Creek isn't stopping them from holding a Disney Channel night or something. Universal builds 15+ new live theatre attractions from scratch every year for HHN, and even include some random walk-around characters like David S Pumpkins or the Death Eaters for no reason other than it giving people something to do. Even Seaworld can pull off a Super-Grover meet and greet around Halloween, why can't Walt Disney World of all places throw someone in the Oogie Boogie suit at Hollywood Studios on weekends or something? I'd totally pay a $50-$80 upcharge after-hours event for a few small things like that.
I’ve always wondered the same thing when it comes to WDW not bringing out more characters like Disneyland. I think ultimately it comes down the size and scope of the resorts.

Disneyland is not that big so I feel like they have extra funds to play around with versus WDW. Also like someone stated earlier being such a locals park you need “gimmicks” for people to keep coming back.

I’ve always wondered the same thing when it comes to WDW not bringing out more characters like Disneyland. I think ultimately it comes down the size and scope of the resorts.

Disneyland is not that big so I feel like they have extra funds to play around with versus WDW. Also like someone stated earlier being such a locals park you need “gimmicks” for people to keep coming back.
WDW has tourists, they'll be in the parks no matter what. Disneyland has locals, you need to entice them to revisit.

WDW has (to an extent) gotten much better at (whether you believe me or not) enticing locals/APs to visit more by adding new food items throughout the park and constantly churning out new merchandise themes/lines.

If this is how Star Wars Land has to be, then I will continue to believe that Star Wars Land is unnecessarily large, drab, lifeless, and lame. That's for many reasons, but I do believe the lack of actual Star Wars characters, droids, or general movement and dynamics at all is a big one. On a slow day, Galaxy's Edge feels like you joined an empty Counter-Strike map. Especially with the baffling lack of music, it can be really eerie and liminal. If entertainment was truly not in the cards, I don't believe they should have built a massive land with such wide open spaces.

WDW has tourists, they'll be in the parks no matter what. Disneyland has locals, you need to entice them to revisit.

WDW has (to an extent) gotten much better at (whether you believe me or not) enticing locals/APs to visit more by adding new food items throughout the park and constantly churning out new merchandise themes/lines.
Oh I definitely love it when they change it up and do things outside of the box. They have some events that are exclusive to the resort so that’s cool.

Honestly I don’t think things such as special themed merchandise or food items has ever been a weakness at WDW. In my opinion they have always done a decent job at marketing these to locals.

Reactions: IzzyB

WDW has always attracted the locals. I am not sure why people think locals do not go. But since I have lived here I always knew of locals including myself that went to the various parks including Disney. It never seemed to me that one park won more than the other park when it came to locals. It was more just what stage of life you were in. When I had tons of friends with small kids like myself Disney and Sea World were huge and now that my kids are older and have friends with older kids Universal is what a lot of people get. But I still know people with younger kids and they are still at Disney. Even people with no kids at all have the different tickets to the different parks. Some rotate thru, some have all, some have their favorites, but one park has never been more attractive than others.

The people who do not go, do not have money to go. That is what I have seen. They either have a family and can't afford tickets for everyone or they just don't have extra cash. They are the same people who typically also don't go on vacations or if they do go it is once every couple years and not annually. They just don't have that disposable income that others have.

If this is how Star Wars Land has to be, then I will continue to believe that Star Wars Land is unnecessarily large, drab, lifeless, and lame. That's for many reasons, but I do believe the lack of actual Star Wars characters, droids, or general movement and dynamics at all is a big one. On a slow day, Galaxy's Edge feels like you joined an empty Counter-Strike map. Especially with the baffling lack of music, it can be really eerie and liminal. If entertainment was truly not in the cards, I don't believe they should have built a massive land with such wide open spaces.
It is so odd, I was not on here when SW opened, but every single person I talk to when it opened and my FB page was slammed with people at the week of opening since it was so dead due to the hurricane every local with Disney passes was there loved it. People don't seem to have negatives in the GP. Even my hard core Star Wars friend loved it. My out of town friends who visited during Covid protocols even loved it. I don't hear people not liking it in the GP. I didn't even know people didn't like it until reading stuff on here. I have also seen characters out and about and storm trooper packs along with shows on the roof of the one building. Now granted I haven't been in 2 or 3 years now. Last time I went was when my friends were in town during covid protocols.

Oh I definitely love it when they change it up and do things outside of the box. They have some events that are exclusive to the resort so that’s cool.

Honestly I don’t think things such as special themed merchandise or food items has ever been a weakness at WDW. In my opinion they have always done a decent job at marketing these to locals.
I agree, wine and food festival is HUGE amongst locals of all ages so food has never been an issue. Locals always talk about the various foods they eat at Disney. Which restaurants they go to, festivals, etc.

WDW has always attracted the locals. I am not sure why people think locals do not go. But since I have lived here I always knew of locals including myself that went to the various parks including Disney. It never seemed to me that one park won more than the other park when it came to locals. It was more just what stage of life you were in. When I had tons of friends with small kids like myself Disney and Sea World were huge and now that my kids are older and have friends with older kids Universal is what a lot of people get. But I still know people with younger kids and they are still at Disney. Even people with no kids at all have the different tickets to the different parks. Some rotate thru, some have all, some have their favorites, but one park has never been more attractive than others.

The people who do not go, do not have money to go. That is what I have seen. They either have a family and can't afford tickets for everyone or they just don't have extra cash. They are the same people who typically also don't go on vacations or if they do go it is once every couple years and not annually. They just don't have that disposable income that others have.

It is so odd, I was not on here when SW opened, but every single person I talk to when it opened and my FB page was slammed with people at the week of opening since it was so dead due to the hurricane every local with Disney passes was there loved it. People don't seem to have negatives in the GP. Even my hard core Star Wars friend loved it. My out of town friends who visited during Covid protocols even loved it. I don't hear people not liking it in the GP. I didn't even know people didn't like it until reading stuff on here. I have also seen characters out and about and storm trooper packs along with shows on the roof of the one building. Now granted I haven't been in 2 or 3 years now. Last time I went was when my friends were in town during covid protocols.

I agree, wine and food festival is HUGE amongst locals of all ages so food has never been an issue. Locals always talk about the various foods they eat at Disney. Which restaurants they go to, festivals, etc.
Yeah, WDW doesn't have to cater to locals as they have a "safety net" with tourists. Disneyland doesn't have that luxury.

As for SWGE, I like to complain about the land's aesthetics/choices... but it's a success. When you physically walk around the land seeing how many people are walking with lightsabers, droids or waiting for Oga's... it's remarkable.

Reactions: OrlLover and IzzyB
Yeah, WDW doesn't have to cater to locals as they have a "safety net" with tourists. Disneyland doesn't have that luxury.

As for SWGE, I like to complain about the land's aesthetics/choices... but it's a success. When you physically walk around the land seeing how many people are walking with lightsabers, droids or waiting for Oga's... it's remarkable.
I agree they don't need to. Locals are well aware that Disney gives the least to its AP holders compared to the other two parks. It is well known SW gives the most and Disney the least. It doesn't stop people from getting any of them. I didn't not get Universal and keep Sea World because SW offered more to me. I decided based on what is best for my family and people who can afford park tickets do the same. Talking with everyone about it, everyone is the same. They buy based on family structure and what type of rides they enjoy, it is never about the perks.

Reactions: UniversalRBLX
I agree they don't need to. Locals are well aware that Disney gives the least to its AP holders compared to the other two parks. It is well known SW gives the most and Disney the least. It doesn't stop people from getting any of them. I didn't not get Universal and keep Sea World because SW offered more to me. I decided based on what is best for my family and people who can afford park tickets do the same. Talking with everyone about it, everyone is the same. They buy based on family structure and what type of rides they enjoy, it is never about the perks.
Will say... I think WDW offers more (or about the same) as UOR.

None of the benefits, at least for me personally, don't interest me lol. I'd say getting 10% off QSR locations is great, but WDW's offerings are typically already 10% cheaper and higher quality anyways.

Back to SWGE, there is a considerable decrease at night (understandably) attendance-wise as everyone is at Fantasmic. Not rare to see CMs walk through the land asking if your interested in droid/lightsaber experiences. Wonder if Disney has any interest in changing that with a nighttime experience.

Will say... I think WDW offers more (or about the same) as UOR.

None of the benefits, at least for me personally, don't interest me lol. I'd say getting 10% off QSR locations is great, but WDW's offerings are typically already 10% cheaper and higher quality anyways.

Back to SWGE, there is a considerable decrease at night (understandably) attendance-wise as everyone is at Fantasmic. Not rare to see CMs walk through the land asking if your interested in droid/lightsaber experiences. Wonder if Disney has any interest in changing that with a nighttime experience.
Any park with a show of any sort makes the other areas dead. MK is the same during fireworks and parades. We skip fireworks to ride rides or we will just catch it wherever we are. I have seen those fireworks at interesting angles because we will come out of a ride, watch, get back on more rides. The low to no lines is good. So this sin't an SWGE issue but a general night time show issue. The things is nighttime shows keep people late, but when they are happening the park isn't making money at that moment.

UOR benefits are pretty lame too, BUT they do offer exclusive nights and things that Disney has never ever had. UOR is slightly better, but their "monthly" stuff is pretty dumb and not even worth it most times. SW blows all of them out of the water.

Any park with a show of any sort makes the other areas dead. MK is the same during fireworks and parades. We skip fireworks to ride rides or we will just catch it wherever we are. I have seen those fireworks at interesting angles because we will come out of a ride, watch, get back on more rides. The low to no lines is good. So this sin't an SWGE issue but a general night time show issue. The things is nighttime shows keep people late, but when they are happening the park isn't making money at that moment.

UOR benefits are pretty lame too, BUT they do offer exclusive nights and things that Disney has never ever had. UOR is slightly better, but their "monthly" stuff is pretty dumb and not even worth it most times. SW blows all of them out of the water.
Yeah, I'd just imagine Disney would prefer to have an equal nighttime offering on the side of the park with $249 lightsaber experiences and $18 profitable drinks lol

UOR has maybe one exclusive night that is limited and the bulk of their AP offerings end up being unique snacks or beverages that are fairly uninteresting lol

Reactions: MrRoamer
Yeah, I'd just imagine Disney would prefer to have an equal nighttime offering on the side of the park with $249 lightsaber experiences and $18 profitable drinks lol

UOR has maybe one exclusive night that is limited and the bulk of their AP offerings end up being unique snacks or beverages that are fairly uninteresting lol
I would think that they wouldn't want to compete for night time show offerings. I don't know any park that does night time in two different places. Even when MK offered a night time parade you could stand in the same place. Universal Mardi Gras the parade goes by the concert venue. I don't know that there would be a demand for two night time offerings in two different places.

I do have the top level pass and I will say express after 4 and free HHN is nice. The upgraded parking is kind of a joke. Other than I will say being on the same floor 80% of the time is nice and not having to deal with escalators with a stroller. The discount on food is nice, but we do spend more on the kids at Uni. Disney has more reasonable kid options and I am not talking about kid friendly, just cheaper offerings. Many places at Uni have no kid offerings and that would never happen at Disney, they always offer kids meals. Buying an adult meal for my 6 yo is a little ridiculous.

Not to start this back up, but I think this has changed. I think maybe like 10 years ago UOR was neck and neck or ahead of Disney AP wise but now I definitely feel like Disney does more for the AP community.