Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

Went to Galaxy's Edge twice this weekend and I really enjoyed it. Smuggler's Run was really fun as both pilot and gunner and Oga's Cantina was a blast. Shocked at the low crowds but, between Disneyland's performance and DHS' thus far, I guess it's just not something that's going to move the needle the way it was intended.

Judging by all the lightsabers, droids, drinks, and food in hand though, the people that ARE there are spending money and that's ultimately what matters.

I'll be surprised if they actually continue it through November 2nd like planned. Who knows, things could change drastically and crowds could warrant it, but right now it's looking like a huge waste of time and money.

I feel unless those early crowds are guaranteed buyers at one of the gift shops, it just can’t be worth it for them.

Man, really hoping the crowds are thus slow this weekend and next week in Orlando! Little scary for the future, but in the moment this should be dope and give me enough time to do all of UOR in 4 days. Maybe I should vacation every September?

I feel unless those early crowds are guaranteed buyers at one of the gift shops, it just can’t be worth it for them.

Man, really hoping the crowds are thus slow this weekend and next week in Orlando! Little scary for the future, but in the moment this should be dope and give me enough time to do all of UOR in 4 days. Maybe I should vacation every September?

Things will pick up soon. It’s always slower in September but the hurricane really ruined things for a week.

The few days after Labor Day and the week after Thanksgiving till a week before Christmas are the best times to go. People just got off for holidays so they’re not looking to take off again and school is in session.
Ya I always figured as much, which is why I booked September but it also really worked this year with my vacation. Keeping those dates in mind for future, thanks!

I will say I don't think these crowds are a direct representation of SWGE as a whole though like some people think. Concerning, but not concrete.

MF posted at 35 minutes DHS and 40 minutes Disneyland, at this moment. Touring Plans estimates actual waits are about half that time. Both DHS and Disneyland have short lines for most rides. Great time to visit the parks. The fears of overcrowding appear to be completely unsubstantiated. Hope the lines at DHS are still like this when I visit in mid November. . Fast passes aren't even needed.

MF posted at 35 minutes DHS and 40 minutes Disneyland, at this moment. Touring Plans estimates actual waits are about half that time. Both DHS and Disneyland have short lines for most rides. Great time to visit the parks. The fears of overcrowding appear to be completely unsubstantiated. Hope the lines at DHS are still like this when I visit in mid November. . Fast passes aren't even needed.
I have a friend who reported a 30 minute wait for MF about 45 mins ago so the wait time seems pretty accurate.

I'm more interested in seeing how everything plays out once Rise opens and how wait times are like during that holiday season. If things around the resort are at crazy times, but Rise and MF are at stable wait times around the Xmas/NYE week, then it's the largest piece of proof yet that fastpass is the problem. But do I expect them to remove FP? Absolutely not. I think they're on their way to doing an Express Pass type of thing with Fastpass where you would just pay, much like what DLP has.

Last edited:
Super excited about Weds. Hoping to ride Hagrids on Tuesday then Batuu on Weds.
Looking good for you on times. I just checked Touring Plans and they had staff on the ground do 14 'actual' waiting stand by test times on the Falcon yesterday. Two tests were 45 minutes. The other twelve were between 11 minutes and 28 minutes. These tests were conducted throughout the entire day....You might also want to consider a short trip over to AK. Touring Plans staff did 4 'actual' test runs on Flight of Passage. Times ranged from 23 minutes to 38 minutes. That's about as low as I can remember seeing FOP when I've checked.

These crowds have me browsing post labor day 2020 WDW vacation packages..

tenor.gif

These crowds have me browsing post labor day 2020 WDW vacation packages..

tenor.gif
Looking like Orlando has returned to the low September crowds that they had before 2014....2014, 2015, 2016, and 2017 larger than normal September crowds have disappeared two years in a row now. I'm still thinking this bad cycle of weather in the southeast has discouraged travel at this time of year. Plus, this summer it seems Orlando is even more hot than normal. Parks aren't much fun when its 95 degrees in the shade, if you can find any. I know it's what changed my travel plans.

Last edited:
Magic Kingdom at around the 20th of September last year was as quiet as I'd ever seen it. Ever. The rides we'd FastPass'd -- Big Thunder, Splash, and Haunted Mansion -- were all walk-ons the entire afternoon, as were many other rides, rendering our FPs effectively useless. Which was fine as far as I was concerned. We were able to do 20 attractions in 8 hours.

It was also 93 degrees and I'll never go to Orlando when there's even a chance of that temperature ever again, despite the favorable crowds.

I'm more interested in seeing how everything plays out once Rise opens and how wait times are like during that holiday season. If things around the resort are at crazy times, but Rise and MF are at stable wait times around the Xmas/NYE week, then it's the largest piece of proof yet that fastpass is the problem. But do I expect them to remove FP? Absolutely not. I think they're on their way to doing an Express Pass type of thing with Fastpass where you would just pay, much like what DLP has.

I have spoken to several AP friends who are big SW fans and they specifically rescheduled their trips from August/September based on the delay of ROTR. They can’t be the only ones, so I suspect things will pickup once that comes on line.

I was thinking that the laser burning effect as seen on the ROTR promo vid would be well achieved by musion. I personally hate musion as used with humans at Universal, but for something simple and one dimensional as this it could be very compelling.