Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios) | Page 15 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (Disney's Hollywood Studios)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Universal had Diagon Alley completed in 2.5 years, there is no excuse for Disney to take 6 years to build this, none. Clearing the land NEXT year? I call bullshit.
In Disneyland, yes, they are. Most of where it's being built is on backstage areas. A lot of buildings need to be moved before they can even think of starting. DHS I have no idea when it will start.

Reactions: Stitch_101
quick question if Disney builds sw land and it is great then that would help people forgive a lot of Disney mistakes over the last few years but what if it doesn't live up to expectations would that be the final dagger leading to the death of Disney world

quick question if Disney builds sw land and it is great then that would help people forgive a lot of Disney mistakes over the last few years but what if it doesn't live up to expectations would that be the final dagger leading to the death of Disney world
No. Star Wars Land is going to increase attendance no matter what (and with Trowbridge leading the project I have high hopes it'll be done with careful thought and detail).

It's not that Disney doesn't have things lined up to open over the next several years either. It's just that the things they are building/opening aren't necessarily what the demographic of this site gets excited for.

But to suggest the "death of Disney World" is just a tad bit ridiculous.

Reactions: twebber55
But to suggest the "death of Disney World" is just a tad bit ridiculous.

For me personally WDW is dead. Nothing the resort has offered the past 15 years speak to me. Tinkering with rides and attraction at Epcot made it unbearable. All shows have been around so long they bore me and every new offering (from Soarin and mission space to New Fantasyland) disappoint me and I don't like the magic band at all.

That is personal and doesn't (clearly) goes for everyone. It also doesn't make me happy, my former favourite theme park resort just faded away for me.
I was hoping that Star Wars Land would match (again for me) what Universal did for Potter. Placing me in the movies, making me feel I am there, build for the fans to go crazy over. And I would love to visit my Star Wars movies, the first trilogy, not the horrible second trilogy. Not the new ones. I'm sure they will be great but I would like, as a fan, to be that kid again that I was during the first trilogy. They clearly don't because the land is a non specific, made up, patchwork that I don't recognize from any of the former movies. That is old school theme park and not theme park 2.0. Again it disappoints me. Sure I'll keep close watch and if it's going to blow fans away like Potter does I'll book a ticket to Florida in 2034 to see it. But I doubt it.

I've been reading over at Magic that the Imagineers haven't even finalized ride plans yet. They're still exploring options. If true this will take a long time.

I wonder why they announced it so early. That's the same mistake they made with Avatar.

I've been reading over at Magic that the Imagineers haven't even finalized ride plans yet. They're still exploring options. If true this will take a long time.

This is so Disney and Disney Imagineering bureaucracy. It has been outrageous like this for years. They actually argue decisions in the field with contractors standing by.

While I have seen small timing issues with Universal, they arrive with decisions made on construction day.

Disney Imagineering is Alan Gilmore without a good case to make.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
This is so Disney and Disney Imagineering bureaucracy. It has been outrageous like this for years. They actually argue decisions in the field with contractors standing by.

While I have seen small timing issues with Universal, they arrive with decisions made on construction day.

Disney Imagineering is Alan Gilmore without a good case to make.
You don't like Alan Gilmore (Warner)?

Okay I am new to this forum. I agree the world "kill" is being used loosely. Nothing can kill these parks, you can only respond. Orlando is going to be a magical place in the next few years.

This idea that one day the general public will decide to cancel their Disney vacations due to lack of new rides is a really really really silly one.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
This idea that one day the general public will decide to cancel their Disney vacations due to lack of new rides is a really really really silly one.

Eh, I hear it more than you think, especially for those who plan trips to Orlando annually. Since Potter, families that didn't add a day at Universal previously are doing so, then two, then three, all at Disney's expense. Obviously with Disney starting to open new attractions at it's parks again starting next year, the competition will get heavier.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn
Yeah, people will not stop going to Disney but they will probably go, "Oh, there's nothing new at (insert park name here) but they have some new ride(s) at Universal, let's spend an extra day there instead."

Disney Vacation Club is ever-expanding, they can barely seem to build new options fast enough and demand doesn't seem to be drying up. I don't think anyone is concerned that families are going to be canceling plans to come to WDW any time soon. DVC guests are all in, no matter what. And non-DVC aren't turning back either. In fact, room nights are at such a demand that Disney has recently chosen to pull back on convention business moving forward in key locations on property in order to keep rooms open for families vs. conference attendees. Conventions were initially a strategy to put heads-in-beds when beds were empty, and this is a clear sign that empty beds are not an issue these days.

High fives to UOR for keeping the bar raised and the pressure on though. As consumers we all benefit when the competition heats up.

Reactions: Blue
Disney Vacation Club is ever-expanding, they can barely seem to build new options fast enough and demand doesn't seem to be drying up. I don't think anyone is concerned that families are going to be canceling plans to come to WDW any time soon. DVC guests are all in, no matter what. And non-DVC aren't turning back either. In fact, room nights are at such a demand that Disney has recently chosen to pull back on convention business moving forward in key locations on property in order to keep rooms open for families vs. conference attendees. Conventions were initially a strategy to put heads-in-beds when beds were empty, and this is a clear sign that empty beds are not an issue these days.

High fives to UOR for keeping the bar raised and the pressure on though. As consumers we all benefit when the competition heats up.
Yeah, I think you're right about on site hotels. It was really hard to get a room in Oct. on site for a two week stay. In the past it was easy.If it wasn't for a pin offer I received, I would have been shut out. And Universal was also well booked up very early in advance for October. There also I used to get rooms with ease even a few weeks before I left. Both Disney & Universal will be fine. Their competition with each other is attracting more tourists to Orlando, which results in increased attendance for both Universal & Disney. Disney made a mistake thinking Orlando was a mature market & quit expanding. Universal proved that thesis wrong and now both are reaping the rewards. It will just keep getting better for both, but I think they'll be sharing more tourists than in past years.

Reactions: rewster
Their competition with each other is attracting more tourists to Orlando, which results in increased attendance for both Universal & Disney.

Exactly right. Although they both want nothing more than to be on top creatively, ultimately they're symbiotic. More people traveling to Orlando, for ANY reason, benefits them both --- and they both are smart enough to know it.

Again though, the struggle between the two for bragging rights only benefits us. A lot rides on this project for Disney to reclaim that glory (or not), and again big kudos to Uni for holding their feet to the fire on that. But whether they "top" Universal's efforts or not --- as a massive Wars fan, I can only imagine that the end result of this project will be that much better thanks to the tug-of-war for those bragging rights.

And to that, I'm happy to toast a mug of butterbeer to UOR. Cheers to that...

Reactions: Mad Dog
Yeah, people will not stop going to Disney but they will probably go, "Oh, there's nothing new at (insert park name here) but they have some new ride(s) at Universal, let's spend an extra day there instead."

No, but Disney shouldn't be in the "once in a lifetime" business. Their money maker, DVC, requires them to have people keep coming. But people will see stale attractions and the word will get out and change public perception they've spent 60 years trying to cultivate. Disney is killing the future to make more in the present.