Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DL) | Page 21 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DL)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
my advice is that you can’t ride during the virtual queue period and will need to wait until regular lines open... or you get a phone that can download and run the app.

Or you take a chance and hope you can get a paper ticket, which is very unlikely.
There is an arbitrage opportunity for those who get a boarding pass. I wonder what the going rate would be for 1. Of course if the Disney overlords find out they may block your AP. But a quick screenshot of the pass sent to someone and they can use the screenshot to get on the ride.

No. Those participating won't have to deal with the early crush of getting into the park, but they can't obtain a Boarding Group until the general park opening time.
Noted. Just got the SoCal Res tick and wanted to know if I'd have any advantage that way. Still fine by me IMO. Hoping my phone doesnt crash or something lol

I was at DLR and got Group 125. I went home! By 9pm, they had reached Group 109. With 2 hours remaining in the park, I guess I possibly could have made it. No thank you, I will wait. I have already been on RotR in WDW.

No, it’s not a stretch at all. The Hagrid ride regularly hit 10 hours went it first opened.

('Harry Potter' fans battle crowds and lightning in 10-hour wait to ride new 'Hagrid' roller coaster)

It is not far fetched in the least to think Disneyland’s first ground-up e-ticket ride since Radiator Springs Racers—or, if you really wanna get technical, the first ground-up e-ticket since Indiana Jones—would attract crowds of that magnitude. I won’t pretend to know what the ride’s capacity is, but I do know this: The day I went, the last boarding group was 105, according to a sign outside of the ride at about 9pm. I checked the app, and they were only boarding group 105 at that point, meaning they likely would have boarded all groups well before the park closed. So naturally, I asked “Will there be a standby line after that?” And they said no. But there’s no reason there couldn’t have been one. The ride ran successfully enough throughout the day that they boarded the 88 guaranteed groups, and then all the remaining standby groups that weren’t guaranteed, and they still had a few hours to spare.

So idk. Take the capacity of everyone who got to ride the ride that day, add in the X amount of people who would have happily stood in a standby line after all the groups had boarded (without forgetting that there definitely would have been a line to get into that line if there was even an inkling of a possibility that it could happen) and I think you have a ride that can clearly operate at capacity and would have a standby that could easily touch 12 hours, if not more. For one reason or another, Disney decided this was the most convenient and efficient way to do this, and it’s hard to disagree. My experience was utterly seamless and efficient. I guess that’s a privileged position, but it’s still the truth.
As I said, not even Hagrid got 12 hours waits. I do know it had 10 hour waits but some people have said it wasn't that bad with some theorizing that it was to discourage people of getting in line since the ride was clearly operating in the bare minimum of its capacity. Don't get me wrong, I did read stories of people waiting for 6 hours to ride it, but again, going back to my original post, this was totally Universal's fault for not having the ride ready. Same as Disney. my whole point is that boarding passed are not for guest convenience but a patch that had to be implemented because they didn't meet the deadline.
And it'd be a very, very similar thing with this ride. I've actually kinda leaned into my own conspiracy theory that they want to avoid having a massive queue that would break the "immersiveness" of Batuu. Like I said, two different guest relations people alluded to that -- one of them even said, "We can't give away the location of the secret rebel base," or something dumb like that. Again, not sure if they were just being playful or if they were trying to explain the policy in an "immersive" way, but idk. I've got my tinfoil hat on, for sure, lol.

What was the Smugglers Run queue like when GE first opened? I didn't visit until mid-September last year.
Smuggler's Run didn't post wait times longer than 2 hours (I would imagine that in some cases it might have, but the talk of the town was how little interest there seemed to be for the brand new attraction looking at the wait times). I went in the reservation period and waited around an hour to ride Smuggler's run. I really thought I would spend the whole 4 hours in Batuu, but after riding Smuggler's run and eating, we left after 2 hours. A few times the overflow queue had to be opened but not in reservation period as I recall. Lines weren't very long for the ride. The time guests spent in the land started being a problem because you could see that Galaxy's Edge was empty at moments, that's when Disneyland started allowing guests to add people to their reservations, something that was said to be a big no no when you reserved. I went the weekend after opening date during the reservation period.
Under the circumstances....Extreme demand, very low capacity (some insiders say 25%),constant tech breakdowns.....honestly....there's no existing line system that would work well. Since Disney made the decision, like Universal did with Hagrid, to open it before it's time, it's going to be a pain to ride it.
My whole point. Very low capacity. They decided to open even though the ride was not ready.

Interesting quirk yesterday: back up boarding passes ran out so late because there weren’t enough people in the park to book them. They even let in CMs early.

Interesting quirk yesterday: back up boarding passes ran out so late because there weren’t enough people in the park to book them. They even let in CMs early.
Yeah I noticed on the app the backup passes were still available around 9:30 am. 30 min after they were released.

That is interesting. So the hype has died down. I wonder how attendance will look for 2020 at Disneyland. So far, I think that Disneyland is not confident, since at this point last year prices had been raised. Not this year.

That is interesting. So the hype has died down. I wonder how attendance will look for 2020 at Disneyland. So far, I think that Disneyland is not confident, since at this point last year prices had been raised. Not this year.

I don't think the hype has died down. It's a different demographic than WDW. Locals are working at 8-9am. So the novelty of coming to the park whenever you want has no effect on ROTR. It benefits tourists over locals and we all know theres a lot less of them at DL.

Reactions: Parkscope Joe
I don't think the hype has died down. It's a different demographic than WDW. Locals are working at 8-9am. So the novelty of coming to the park whenever you want has no effect on ROTR. It benefits tourists over locals and we all know theres a lot less of them at DL.
I am talking about people saying "wait until ROTR opens and you will see Disneyland crowds come back". By the look of things that happened only in the first few days, like it happened for GE opening.

I am talking about people saying "wait until ROTR opens and you will see Disneyland crowds come back". By the look of things that happened only in the first few days, like it happened for GE opening.
I mean one day isn't enough to say "the hype has died down" either, the park was still pretty crowded for a January wednesday.

As others said it’s a different demo plus just a soft day. I wouldn’t worry about attendance or the park but if I was part of capital justification I’d be worried for my reputation and job. It’s clear SWGE isn’t doing what DLR wanted or planned.

Yeah I still stand behind my comment. You can't open a ride in the off-season and expect them to reach park capacity on the weekdays after a major holiday. I haven't met a single person who isn't hyped af about ROTR. The boarding pass has been discouraging frequent visitors and that's exactly one of the reasons it's in place.

Last edited:
Yeah I still stand behind my comment. You can't open a ride in the off-season and expect them to reach park capacity on the weekdays after a major holiday. I haven't met a single person who isn't hyped af about ROTR. The boarding pass has been discouraging frequent visitors and that's exactly one of the reasons it's in place.
They still haven't reached capacity on the weekends either. Mind you that the opening of ROTR was during MLK weekend. After the mild disaster that was the opening of GE, many people started trying to figure out what exactly happen and why the land flopped. Many said it was because ROTR was delayed and that once it opened, you would see the justification for all the money spent in Project Stardust. That still hasn't happened. Yes, at opening, the park has very long lines to enter, but once the morning rush is over, the park is pretty slow. One indicator that attendance is slow is that there was no price hike. At this moment last year all prices have been raised for tickets and APs. I am not saying one price hike is impossible in February, but we can be more or less sure that prices won't rise in the near feature. I guess Spring Break will be the test for Disneyland. All I'm saying is that ROTR isn't pulling the kind of attendance Disney expected. I guess we have to wait and see for Spring Break

They still haven't reached capacity on the weekends either. Mind you that the opening of ROTR was during MLK weekend. After the mild disaster that was the opening of GE, many people started trying to figure out what exactly happen and why the land flopped. Many said it was because ROTR was delayed and that once it opened, you would see the justification for all the money spent in Project Stardust. That still hasn't happened. Yes, at opening, the park has very long lines to enter, but once the morning rush is over, the park is pretty slow. One indicator that attendance is slow is that there was no price hike. At this moment last year all prices have been raised for tickets and APs. I am not saying one price hike is impossible in February, but we can be more or less sure that prices won't rise in the near feature. I guess Spring Break will be the test for Disneyland. All I'm saying is that ROTR isn't pulling the kind of attendance Disney expected. I guess we have to wait and see for Spring Break
You know, it's very telling of the crowd response when we're trying to make excuses for the land's lack of performance. "Oh, GE underperformed at grand opening because of the reservation system." "Oh, the crowds aren't showing up this Summer because they're too scared to come/the prices are ridiculous." "Oh, the APs are unblocked and not many are showing up because they they're waiting for RotR to open." "Oh, the ridiculous crowds aren't showing up after RotR opened because they're waiting for Spring Break." While GE seems to be doing okay now (I stress the word "okay"), I'm pretty sure the popularity/crowd levels are not what Disney was hoping for. You can argue that Spring Break and Summer will be the real test of wanting to bring the major crowds that Disney wanted, but it doesn't help that it opened on MLK weekend, which is normally pretty busy. Oh, and all APs were unblocked on GRAND OPENING DAY with very manageable wait times! Just like I predicted several pages back, GE has continued to under-perform; and even then opening day wasn't as crazy as I thought! "But Freak, boarding passes are selling out like hotcakes!" Yeah, because the rides still doesn't have all the kinks to work out. They have to implement that because of how unreliable the ride is right now.

I called this earlier several pages back, and I think it will continue like this for a while. While I don't think this Summer will be quite as disastrous crowd-wise as last year, I still think DLR will underperform compared to most Summers pre-GE. While I think all of the drama behind the sequel trilogy may have some effect, the real factor here are the prices. All of those years since Cars Land opened of aggressively raising prices without adding anything major have caught up to them. Even with arguably the magnum opus of theme park rides now open, the market still doesn't think the prices reflect the value of DLR. I'm telling you right now, Marvel is going to have the situation. If Disney wants to get people to pay the ridiculous prices and fill up their parks, they're either going to have to lower prices or build more rides to reflect that value. Frankly, it's nice to see the market blow up in Disney's face.

You know, it's very telling of the crowd response when we're trying to make excuses for the land's lack of performance. "Oh, GE underperformed at grand opening because of the reservation system." "Oh, the crowds aren't showing up this Summer because they're too scared to come/the prices are ridiculous." "Oh, the APs are unblocked and not many are showing up because they they're waiting for RotR to open." "Oh, the ridiculous crowds aren't showing up after RotR opened because they're waiting for Spring Break." While GE seems to be doing okay now (I stress the word "okay"), I'm pretty sure the popularity/crowd levels are not what Disney was hoping for. You can argue that Spring Break and Summer will be the real test of wanting to bring the major crowds that Disney wanted, but it doesn't help that it opened on MLK weekend, which is normally pretty busy. Oh, and all APs were unblocked on GRAND OPENING DAY with very manageable wait times! Just like I predicted several pages back, GE has continued to under-perform; and even then opening day wasn't as crazy as I thought! "But Freak, boarding passes are selling out like hotcakes!" Yeah, because the rides still doesn't have all the kinks to work out. They have to implement that because of how unreliable the ride is right now.

I called this earlier several pages back, and I think it will continue like this for a while. While I don't think this Summer will be quite as disastrous crowd-wise as last year, I still think DLR will underperform compared to most Summers pre-GE. While I think all of the drama behind the sequel trilogy may have some effect, the real factor here are the prices. All of those years since Cars Land opened of aggressively raising prices without adding anything major have caught up to them. Even with arguably the magnum opus of theme park rides now open, the market still doesn't think the prices reflect the value of DLR. I'm telling you right now, Marvel is going to have the situation. If Disney wants to get people to pay the ridiculous prices and fill up their parks, they're either going to have to lower prices or build more rides to reflect that value. Frankly, it's nice to see the market blow up in Disney's face.

The marketing and messaging of SWGE has been off too. I bet we'll see more interest in the Avengers Campus at DCA than the opening months of SWGE.

Reactions: alias8703
The marketing and messaging of SWGE has been off too. I bet we'll see more interest in the Avengers Campus at DCA than the opening months of SWGE.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say we don't. I believe after Endgame there will be some Marvel fatigue... not to mention the Spider-Man attraction doesnt look all that... add to that already ridiculous prices...

I think raising prices before your big release drops can backfire when you are making assumptions about demand. I believe on price at this point Disney is mostly only competing with themselves in terms of "value".

Reactions: Freak