Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance (DL)

I finally got to ride it yesterday. It is now my favorite ride at Disneyland! But as cool as the ride is, people won't be that motivated to visit if they think they won't be able ride the thing.

You know, it's very telling of the crowd response when we're trying to make excuses for the land's lack of performance. "Oh, GE underperformed at grand opening because of the reservation system." "Oh, the crowds aren't showing up this Summer because they're too scared to come/the prices are ridiculous." "Oh, the APs are unblocked and not many are showing up because they they're waiting for RotR to open." "Oh, the ridiculous crowds aren't showing up after RotR opened because they're waiting for Spring Break." While GE seems to be doing okay now (I stress the word "okay"), I'm pretty sure the popularity/crowd levels are not what Disney was hoping for. You can argue that Spring Break and Summer will be the real test of wanting to bring the major crowds that Disney wanted, but it doesn't help that it opened on MLK weekend, which is normally pretty busy. Oh, and all APs were unblocked on GRAND OPENING DAY with very manageable wait times! Just like I predicted several pages back, GE has continued to under-perform; and even then opening day wasn't as crazy as I thought! "But Freak, boarding passes are selling out like hotcakes!" Yeah, because the rides still doesn't have all the kinks to work out. They have to implement that because of how unreliable the ride is right now.

I called this earlier several pages back, and I think it will continue like this for a while. While I don't think this Summer will be quite as disastrous crowd-wise as last year, I still think DLR will underperform compared to most Summers pre-GE. While I think all of the drama behind the sequel trilogy may have some effect, the real factor here are the prices. All of those years since Cars Land opened of aggressively raising prices without adding anything major have caught up to them. Even with arguably the magnum opus of theme park rides now open, the market still doesn't think the prices reflect the value of DLR. I'm telling you right now, Marvel is going to have the situation. If Disney wants to get people to pay the ridiculous prices and fill up their parks, they're either going to have to lower prices or build more rides to reflect that value. Frankly, it's nice to see the market blow up in Disney's face.
I agree 100% with you. Some earlier posts I also pointed out that people were trying to make excuses when this is clearly not the response Disneyland was expecting. i have been told so many things, that I was just giving them the "spring break" thing, but I have said many time that this did not go the way Disneyland intended to. Prices are ridiculous and the market is no longer paying them. Plus it does seem people have soured on Star Wars because of Disney. Rise of Skywalker didn't do was bad as I expected, due to the fact that there were no big release to compete with it. As soon as 1917 released, people flocked to see that movie because no real big movie dramas had been released, mind you that the movie that is supposed to close a 9 movie saga is smaller at the box office than its two predecessors.
I am on the same boat as you, that know that ROTR opening has come and go, we can now say for sure that GE was a misfire by Disney.
Gonna go out on a limb here and say we don't. I believe after Endgame there will be some Marvel fatigue... not to mention the Spider-Man attraction doesnt look all that... add to that already ridiculous prices...
I am fatigued for sure. I still don't understand how 20 + movies after, with some recycled storylines still pulls the numbers it pulls, but it certainly can't last forever. This is anecdotal, but no one I know is excited for Avengers campus, or even know there will be one. Star Wars is the biggest IP ever and that couldn't bring in the crowds. So I totally agree.

So just to be clear as I will be going soon, the boarding passes start at 8 but I am being advised by others not to close/ open the app at 8 rather open it up around 5 mins before and refresh at 8 to join a boarding group?

So just to be clear as I will be going soon, the boarding passes start at 8 but I am being advised by others not to close/ open the app at 8 rather open it up around 5 mins before and refresh at 8 to join a boarding group?
There seems to be varying opinions and a plethora of Youtube videos on this. From my 2 times I can tell you what I did. Had the app opened and at 8:00 I clicked on the find out more button for the ride of the resistance access page. If you do it at 8:00 the join boarding group should be red and not greyed out. Some say clicking my status and refreshing the app from there is also good but I've seem people miss boarding group due to this. I got 76 and 13 on my 2 tries. I think it is a lottery but also how good your connection is and that your app does not do something funky.

There seems to be varying opinions and a plethora of Youtube videos on this. From my 2 times I can tell you what I did. Had the app opened and at 8:00 I clicked on the find out more button for the ride of the resistance access page. If you do it at 8:00 the join boarding group should be red and not greyed out. Some say clicking my status and refreshing the app from there is also good but I've seem people miss boarding group due to this. I got 76 and 13 on my 2 tries. I think it is a lottery but also how good your connection is and that your app does not do something funky.
Thanks for the response! Interesting... I also heard it differs with how it's been performing iPhone and Android wise

Thanks for the response! Interesting... I also heard it differs with how it's been performing iPhone and Android wise
Also generally a good idea to close your other apps and make sure you're using as little data as possible. That's what my friend and I did. I know some people who put their phones in airplane mode and just used to park WiFi, but I've never had good experience with the park's WiFi so idk about that one. I had the app open as soon as we entered the park, which was around 7:55 (cut it close, lol). I immediately went to the "my status" page on the app and kept refreshing it every twenty seconds or so, just to make sure nothing weird was happening. Noticed that it would take the page at least a second to refresh, so my friend and I used the second hand on his watch to refresh our phones at 7:59:59. No clue if this did anything to help, but it felt right, lol. He got through immediately, but I never did. Our accounts were linked, though, so it didn't matter -- I actually think Disneyland takes that into account when it divvies up boarding groups. We got group 23, I'm pretty sure. It was definitely somewhere in the 20s. Also, we both used iPhones.

Okay, I have a question: Going this Saturday with two other people that have phones but don’t have data. Don’t ask me why, it’s a long story, but one can’t use the app and the other refuses to use it. Booking it through the app rests entirely on my shoulders and I can’t handle the stress of trying to do it myself. I did that one time and the app said, “error: cannot attain boarding passes”. Thankfully someone had a phone out and secured us boarding passes.

My plan is to go in the manual boarding pass line while trying to secure it on the app. My question is, is that the best way to approach this? If so, any recommendations for my situation? This is kind of their only shot to ride.

My plan is to go in the manual boarding pass line while trying to secure it on the app.
Don’t even bother with the app if your friends can’t/won’t use it. You can’t get boarding passes for them via the app unless they also use the app.

As for the manual line, I would say your best bet is to get there extremely early so you’re guaranteed to be one of the first people in the park and just making a beeline directly to the nearest station.

Don’t even bother with the app if your friends can’t/won’t use it. You can’t get boarding passes for them via the app unless they also use the app.

As for the manual line, I would say your best bet is to get there extremely early so you’re guaranteed to be one of the first people in the park and just making a beeline directly to the nearest station.

They can’t link their tickets into the one account? All parties shouldn’t need the app, just need one account with all tickets linked.

I’d highly recommend not trying for the manual line, it’s very hit or miss. You’ll either get nothing or likely a backup group.

They can’t link their tickets into the one account? All parties shouldn’t need the app, just need one account with all tickets linked.

I’d highly recommend not trying for the manual line, it’s very hit or miss. You’ll either get nothing or likely a backup group.
That would still require use of the app, though, right? Don’t you have to have an account (via the app) in order to link your ticket to another account? That’s how I thought it worked, at least. Unless Freak bought their tickets using his app. Maybe you can snap a pic of a non-digital ticket and do it that way?

That would still require use of the app, though, right? Don’t you have to have an account (via the app) in order to link your ticket to another account? That’s how I thought it worked, at least. Unless Freak bought their tickets using his app. Maybe you can snap a pic of a non-digital ticket and do it that way?

Hmm. I’m not sure of the nuance when it comes to linking tickets bought separately.

Once everyone gets their paper tickets at the gate, you can go to Tickets and Passes in the app, then tap on Link Tickets & Passes and scan the barcode for each ticket you'd like to link.

Okay, I have a question: Going this Saturday with two other people that have phones but don’t have data. Don’t ask me why, it’s a long story, but one can’t use the app and the other refuses to use it. Booking it through the app rests entirely on my shoulders and I can’t handle the stress of trying to do it myself. I did that one time and the app said, “error: cannot attain boarding passes”. Thankfully someone had a phone out and secured us boarding passes.

My plan is to go in the manual boarding pass line while trying to secure it on the app. My question is, is that the best way to approach this? If so, any recommendations for my situation? This is kind of their only shot to ride.
Once everyone gets their paper tickets at the gate, you can go to Tickets and Passes in the app, then tap on Link Tickets & Passes and scan the barcode for each ticket you'd like to link.

In that case I’d recommend you get to park early, once in gate link all the tickets to your account/app. Then close it out, go find out the nearest manual area. Head that way. At 8 am get in line with group for manual while you open app to get boarding group through app. Then you have the chance of both.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! So I can still link their tickets to my app, they just can’t use their phones. I can still do it, but I’m so afraid that the app will crash/lock me out/give me an error that I want to have a backup plan. It just sucks for the one-day people.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! So I can still link their tickets to my app, they just can’t use their phones. I can still do it, but I’m so afraid that the app will crash/lock me out/give me an error that I want to have a backup plan. It just sucks for the one-day people.

Go away from people. I went into the lobby of Mr. Lincoln with about a half-dozen in the lobby, and got group 49.

Loved the ride. ITS broke down in the queue, but they got it up 20 minutes later and we got right on. It wowed my entire family, what an absolute triumph. Not much else to say that hasn't been already!