Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 43 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ehhh.

Some elements of Trevorrow's script are undeniably better than what ended up in TROS. But others -- specifically the handling of Kylo Ren -- are truly awful.

Honestly, I would have preferred if they kept Kylo Ren evil. We'd already seen Darth Vader redeem himself from villain to hero, so seeing Ben do the same in RoS just felt predictable. I thought his role would have been much more interesting had he kept dancing the line between good and bad before ultimately going down a dark path that leads to his downfall.

Honestly, I would have preferred if they kept Kylo Ren evil. We'd already seen Darth Vader redeem himself from villain to hero, so seeing Ben do the same in RoS just felt predictable. I thought his role would have been much more interesting had he kept dancing the line between good and bad before ultimately going down a dark path that leads to his downfall.

For me, having the Skywalker family line end in failure and evil would have been a deal-breaker. The idea contradicts the themes of hope and redemption that are so key to STAR WARS (or were in the Original Trilogy, anyway) in a way that I really don't like.

Now, what they did with Kylo/Ben in TROS wasn't ideal, either (even though I love the scene with Han, and I think the subtle stuff Driver does with his body language after he's Ben again is great), because it's so close to the same Vader arc. I would have kept Ben alive at the end, and have him go off into the galaxy as a kind of wandering figure who knows his actions can't ever be fully forgiven or accepted, but who also commits himself to a journey of penance and self-discovery. Helping people where he can and learning more about the Force.

This accomplishes two major things:
1. It allows the idea of "redemption" to be tackled in a way that is both different from Vader and also more nuanced and complicated.
2. It keeps Ben in play for a future Episode X.

Reactions: saint.piss
Is it any surprise that the guy who created Lost didn’t have a plan?
The blame has to fall squarely on the shoulders of Kathy Kennedy for taking the 'pass the baton' approach to the trilogy instead of keeping continuity with at least the same writer(s). JJ did make a terrible film with ROS but was only brought in to salvage things after KK's plan, or lack thereof, had failed miserably.

Reactions: tielo
I don’t think the problem was a lack of a plan. The original trilogy didn’t have this big overarching plan.

The problem was that JJ made a really bad movie. That’s it. We can blame KK for letting that bad movie get made, but she let two other good (one great) movie get made.

I don’t think the problem was a lack of a plan. The original trilogy didn’t have this big overarching plan.

The problem was that JJ made a really bad movie. That’s it. We can blame KK for letting that bad movie get made, but she let two other good (one great) movie get made.
I agree in that the sequel movies didn’t have to end horribly, but it didn’t have the room to finish everything properly in one movie after Rian closed up a lot of open plot points.

IMO, had they allowed the finale to be a two-parter, things would’ve had a lot more time to breath, allowing it to feel more natural.

True but SW like said didn't have a big plan for didn't tease so much

FWA could be a good film but its a mystery that doesn't get solved and they really suck at telling us why Rey bears Kylo....at least from all the SW media Ive read/seen has a jedi with no training beat a Sith (the guy can stop lasers with his mind)

So based on a new art of Star Wars book, Disney is trying to sell something that nobody is ever going to buy: That Rey was planned as a Skywalker from Day 0.

From the book:
The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker describes a meeting of the Lucasfilm Story Group that took place in May 2014. "I like the idea that she's going to be our Skywalker," Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo observed, "but she's not a Skywalker. Then, for our purposes, 'the Skywalker' is really a metaphor. It doesn't have to be something that's directly connected to blood."

The Rey thing feels sooooo forced

Like its a weird comparison but while I liked Falcon he even rejected being Captain America and where or not you liked his show they did a good job showing us a worst alternative which is some random guy taking the legacy who has no claim to it

Maybe they could have done/will do this in the new film but to me while Daisy is a good actress and did her best her character just never clicked with me. I'm open to her character being more interesting in this movie but...they need to make her just work better then being the best at everything day one, she needs either a villain to push against her values or enteral struggle people can relate to.

So based on a new art of Star Wars book, Disney is trying to sell something that nobody is ever going to buy: That Rey was planned as a Skywalker from Day 0.

From the book:
The Art of Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker describes a meeting of the Lucasfilm Story Group that took place in May 2014. "I like the idea that she's going to be our Skywalker," Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo observed, "but she's not a Skywalker. Then, for our purposes, 'the Skywalker' is really a metaphor. It doesn't have to be something that's directly connected to blood."
TFA and TLJ really set up Rey as this thematic foil to Kylo: a scavenger who grew up on a desolate planet with no one who cared for her and seemingly no prospects. All her accomplishments were her own, her greatness not defined by her lineage but by her inherent goodness and ability to recognize that inner light in others. TROS bogs her down with this totally uninteresting conflict involving her lineage as a Palpatine descendant. Did anyone ever for a second think it was hard for her to reconcile her past with her desire to carry on the legacy of the Jedi? She has no connection to Palpatine beyond her DNA and the adoption of the Skywalker mantle just feels disrespectful to her as an individual and Kylo who needed that kind of redemptive story beat.