Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
After rewatching TLJ I don't dislike it as much as when I first saw it. It does have some epic moments as others have mentioned, but it also has some epically bad moments (Leia doing a Mary Poppins in space) I can now watch it and enjoy it for what it is and I still think it's better than the prequels.

What I find odd about JJ's comments is that he wrote the script draft for TLJ and still had producer credits. If he was unhappy with certain elements of the story he should have stepped in and changed them, particularly if he thought it would affect how ep 9 plays out.

JJ and Kathleen Kennedy supposedly had the story arc for 7, 8 and 9 mapped out before he started filming TFA.

He must have been happy with it at the time and he's doing damage control now and trying to lessen his liability if Episode IX is a flop.

He must have been happy with it at the time and he's doing damage control now and trying to lessen his liability if Episode IX is a flop.

Exactly. I'd have more respect for him if he stood by it but I guess he doesn't want to suffer the fan backlash that RJ got.

Reactions: Scott W.
Based on things I've heard from sources I trust just within the last 24 hours, here's what I can say about Abrams and THE LAST JEDI -- he was not creatively involved in THE LAST JEDI in any capacity. He was given a ceremonial producer credit, but he had no input.

He was also, despite public statements suggesting otherwise, extremely interested in doing VIII and IX (the entire trilogy) but THE FORCE AWAKENS was a difficult production behind the scenes, he and Kennedy didn't particularly get along, and Lucasfilm made it clear that unless Abrams was willing to get VIII in theaters by May of 2017 (which was the original release date at the time), they were moving on. Which they did.

Rian Johnson started working on THE LAST JEDI script based only on having read the shooting draft of THE FORCE AWAKENS; he and Abrams did not speak until well after TFA was released and TLJ was deep into preproduction. Abrams' attitude at that point was apparently, "Well, it's your thing now," and he didn't really provide Johnson with notes, nor did he offer what he and Kasdan had been attempting to set up in TFA. Being a good soldier, he praised TLJ's script publicly.

Reactions: youhow2 and fryoj
Based on things I've heard from sources I trust just within the last 24 hours, here's what I can say about Abrams and THE LAST JEDI -- he was not creatively involved in THE LAST JEDI in any capacity. He was given a ceremonial producer credit, but he had no input.

He was also, despite public statements suggesting otherwise, extremely interested in doing VIII and IX (the entire trilogy) but THE FORCE AWAKENS was a difficult production behind the scenes, he and Kennedy didn't particularly get along, and Lucasfilm made it clear that unless Abrams was willing to get VIII in theaters by May of 2017 (which was the original release date at the time), they were moving on. Which they did.

Rian Johnson started working on THE LAST JEDI script based only on having read the shooting draft of THE FORCE AWAKENS; he and Abrams did not speak until well after TFA was released and TLJ was deep into preproduction. Abrams' attitude at that point was apparently, "Well, it's your thing now," and he didn't really provide Johnson with notes, nor did he offer what he and Kasdan had been attempting to set up in TFA. Being a good soldier, he praised TLJ's script publicly.

Didn’t JJ publicly say he “didn’t” want to do any Star Wars film, before giving it a second thought and a lot of $$$$? I always thought he refused the trilogy first and then came around with the option of only doing one?

There's been a lot of differing statements, many from Abrams himself.

What I've been led to believe is that his only significant concern about signing on to VII was that the release date at that time (May of 2015) would have necessitated such a short preproduction and production schedule that he didn't think it could be done and result in a good movie. He wanted the release pushed back to May of 2016 to buy some breathing room; Iger compromised with him for a December of 2015 date.

Being a good soldier, he praised TLJ's script publicly.
Let's not try and make JJ try and look like he had no choice here. He got a producer credit, he could've engaged himself far earlier on if he wanted. I think everything you laid out shows that the mismanagement of this trilogy in the hands of 1). Kathleen Kennedy (first and foremost) and 2.) JJ Abrams.

I can't read minds, but I would assume Abrams' position regarding engaging with Johnson on VIII was along the lines of, "If he doesn't want to use the skeleton of what we were setting up, then this is his show and he's on his own. Since Bad Robot is a producing partner, I'll take a credit and a paycheck and go on my way." I genuinely think he believed he'd never make another STAR WARS movie at that point, and only the collapse of the Colin Trevorrow version of IX and subsequent call from Kennedy with her hat in her hand brought him back into the fold.

Today is the EP IX panel in about 20 mins, SW.com and Youtube, I would expect to see the trailer at the end of the panel, they may cut away from it they have an annoying habit of doing that but I would expect it to be up mins after the end of the panel.

My bad forgot about BST :p so just under an hr from now

Last edited:
Cringe factor high on Colbert's introduction.

Interesting Disney got a late night host from another network. I thought Warwick Davis was hosting, anyway.

Teaser trailer time :grin:

Oooooooooooof, I liked the teaser. That laugh at the end, sounded like the Emperor. I got the goosebumps from watching this, wow.

Last edited:
Reactions: fryoj
InsignificantEnergeticAmericanquarterhorse-small.gif