Studio Tour | Page 58 | Inside Universal Forums

Studio Tour

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I would love the 3D/screen based additions to go away. I remember the collapsing bridge being awesome when I was a kid. I don't think that would knock people socks off today, but I do think seeing more "real" backlot and movie making techniques could be a benefit. Earthquake is a good example of that.

It's funny you bring up Jupiter's Claim. Our guide went really into the sound design element of what Peele and his team created for Nope. I think that shows how your guide can really be a large make or break element of the whole tour.
It by it self maybe not but I think being on the Bridge and seeing a King Kong AA like the one on Skull Island: Reign of Kong, would be an upgrade from what we have now. They could even use the screen room they have now but make them into 4K Screens that are used in many shows now and show off that tech

I also agree on the tour guides, I dont know if I just get unlucky but whenever I go its the same basic facts I've heard 100000000 times before.
I would like them to give the tour guides more updated clips/trivia video's so if the Tour guides aren't in the mood to talk they can at least prove something new but as a AP who only goes on the ride.....maybe 5 times a year. I just don't love the attraction like I should, I love movies but the tour feels aged and not loved much and while I know many here are excited Earthquake is getting some new paint....I wish they could just update the ride in other ways that made the attraction a must see even for APs

How can they update the tour with new experiences though when it would be better to have a possible addition, as a standalone attraction instead?
Only so much you can do with the current tram other than motion shaking, 3D glasses, and spraying stuff. Adding new sets from movies doesn’t really hold value/interest as we’ve seen from Nope. The trams also can’t drive through active soundstages which is how most things are filmed nowadays.
The tour guides can’t really add anything new to the script when the stuff you’re driving by is the same and hasn’t had anything notable filmed on it in years. Even if a set was used recently, it would just be quick comment from the tour guide, “Oppenheimer was filmed on this set over on your right… now up ahead…” etc.
I truly believe the Studio Tour’s days as it currently operates, is numbered. A slimmed down, more in-depth, up-charge version I would welcome like a survey mentioned a few years ago.

Universal is investing a lot of money right now into the big Earthquake upgrade. As I was told “The Studio Tour is the backbone of the park”. Could it still mean at some point they alter how the tour operates and make it an upgrade/slimmed down version, sure. But I don’t see that on the horizon any time in the near future, unless someone at Comcast tells them otherwise.

Universal is investing a lot of money right now into the big Earthquake upgrade. As I was told “The Studio Tour is the backbone of the park”. Could it still mean at some point they alter how the tour operates and make it an upgrade/slimmed down version, sure. But I don’t see that on the horizon any time in the near future, unless someone at Comcast tells them otherwise.
That makes good business sense. Though the tour probably gets a bit boring for AP holders, it's probably a prime reason tourists visit the park. That makes it an attendance/spending draw, big time.

How can they update the tour with new experiences though when it would be better to have a possible addition, as a standalone attraction instead?
Only so much you can do with the current tram other than motion shaking, 3D glasses, and spraying stuff. Adding new sets from movies doesn’t really hold value/interest as we’ve seen from Nope. The trams also can’t drive through active soundstages which is how most things are filmed nowadays.
The tour guides can’t really add anything new to the script when the stuff you’re driving by is the same and hasn’t had anything notable filmed on it in years. Even if a set was used recently, it would just be quick comment from the tour guide, “Oppenheimer was filmed on this set over on your right… now up ahead…” etc.
I truly believe the Studio Tour’s days as it currently operates, is numbered. A slimmed down, more in-depth, up-charge version I would welcome like a survey mentioned a few years ago.
A slimmed down version is what we have already lol. I don’t agree that the nope addition wasn’t good. I did recently see the “night time studio tour” again on YouTube. It helped the tour a lot but didn’t last long.
They definitely should look into doing “seasonal” stuff
That makes good business sense. Though the tour probably gets a bit boring for AP holders, it's probably a prime reason tourists visit the park. That makes it an attendance/spending draw, big time.
It’s definitely the number 1 thing that brings people to USH. The idea of going to a film studio still bring the crowds which is weird with the directions the parks going. It went from learn how movies are made to, you’re in the movie lmao

I'm probably in the minority, but I ride the tour almost every time I go to the park. Honestly, the only part I dread about the tour is Supercharged.

Bingo. Tourists made up the majority of the tram car I was in on my last tour.

It's no secret that Universal's Studio Tour is kind of a watered down "made for public consumption" attraction. If you really want a more intimate backlot tour, Warner Bros, Sony, Paramount, or even Universal's VIP Experience is probably the way to go. That being said, I do think that the Studio Tour could and should be plussed up. It's an important part of the theme park and studio's history. I am glad to see them spending the money on something like Earthquake and I hope that eventually we see the transition away from the screen based stops on the tour.

Bingo. Tourists made up the majority of the tram car I was in on my last tour.

It's no secret that Universal's Studio Tour is kind of a watered down "made for public consumption" attraction. If you really want a more intimate backlot tour, Warner Bros, Sony, Paramount, or even Universal's VIP Experience is probably the way to go. That being said, I do think that the Studio Tour could and should be plussed up. It's an important part of the theme park and studio's history. I am glad to see them spending the money on something like Earthquake and I hope that eventually we see the transition away from the screen based stops on the tour.
I'll be curious to take the WB tour. Years ago, I befriended a VP of WB on CompuServe (yes, I am that old). He said to look him up when I got to LA, so I did. He gave me an actual studio pass which allowed me to go anywhere except where a red light was on, or any restricted shooting area. I was a kid in a candy store. Walked the set from "An Affair To Remember". Sat in the lighting booth at a rehearsal for "Family Matters" .. even took the bus over to the Burbank Ranch and walked the street with the famous houses from The Patridge Family and so much more. Even had lunch in the commissary. It's probably one of the greatest highlights of my life.

Took a ride on the Tour - first time since the Nope sets were added. Have to say that part of the tour was a bit of a miss-fire. The Tour host asked people to raise their hands who had seen Nope and only 2 people put their hands up. Everyone else on the Tram was just puzzled.

I appreciate them adding something new like Jupiters Claim but it's not remotely iconic/well known enough for people to get it.

Last edited:
There’s been a lot of back and forth in geotechnical filings for a new retaining wall at tram load. I assume that’s what this is