Super Nintendo World (Epic Universe) | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Super Nintendo World (Epic Universe)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Ahhh, I caught the fourth coming up the left hill right at the 15 second mark of the video. So 15 second dispatch interval = 16 seats per minute, 960 THRC, nice little C-ticket worth of throughput on this... checks notes... uh oh.
Yeah, but still early days of testing. But the fact they are pushing through this many RVs now, means they may come close the THRC the ride system is capable of.

Excited to see that their dispatching as fast as I'd imagine... but still not enough for an E-ticket attraction at a Universal Park IMO.

Yeah, but still early days of testing. But the fact they are pushing through this many RVs now, means they may come close the THRC the ride system is capable of.
How much faster can they dispatch? If they can get it to 12-secs, it'll be a lot better at 1.2K.

960 THRC is the same as Flight of the Hippogriff lol

I'll never get the capacity discussions. So what if it puts through less riders per hour than the other rides? It just means a longer wait sometimes.
???

You like waiting in long lines? Lines are inevitable, but the modern Disney/Universal parks are averaging 25K+ guests a day now and an E-ticket with less than 1,000 riders an hour is difficult to understand.

Based on my wait-time model, which I feel confident with (assuming 20% of capacity dedicated to Express)... On an average 25K guest attendance level day (based on IOA/USF average attendance), Donkey Kong @ 960 THRC will average a 110-minute wait... assuming no tech/slowdown issues. For comparison, Stardust will be a 40-minute wait, Ministry will be 65, Mario Kart at 75.

At 1.2K THRC (12-sec dispatches), the wait will drop 20 minutes to 90-minutes. Just that 3-sec variance gets you in and out of the ride 20 minutes faster.

Just for fun, at the 42K attendance level (about MK's average)... DK would have a 190-minute wait. So yeah, capacity matters IMO

Ahhh, I caught the fourth coming up the left hill right at the 15 second mark of the video. So 15 second dispatch interval = 16 seats per minute, 960 THRC, nice little C-ticket worth of throughput on this... checks notes... uh oh.
Ignore me. I see now the one cart is on a different track. With stop watch 15 seconds is accurate. Still feel it needs more capacity for the type of ride this will be and this will have long waits all the time.

Last edited:
Frozen Ever After Capacity is also around 1,000 people per hour right? Just trying to think of comps that replicate the expected level of throughput and popularity.

Frozen Ever After Capacity is also around 1,000 people per hour right? Just trying to think of comps that replicate the expected level of throughput and popularity.
Frozen has about the same THRC as DK, but the biggest key difference is that Epcot is a gigantic park with 32K+ in THRC (not including restaurants and just how massive it is for walking).

Epic Universe will roughly lie around 17K in THRC... half of Epcot's capacity.

???

You like waiting in long lines? Lines are inevitable, but the modern Disney/Universal parks are averaging 25K+ guests a day now and an E-ticket with less than 1,000 riders an hour is difficult to understand.

Based on my wait-time model, which I feel confident with (assuming 20% of capacity dedicated to Express)... On an average 25K guest attendance level day (based on IOA/USF average attendance), Donkey Kong @ 960 THRC will average a 110-minute wait... assuming no tech/slowdown issues. For comparison, Stardust will be a 40-minute wait, Ministry will be 65, Mario Kart at 75.

At 1.2K THRC (12-sec dispatches), the wait will drop 20 minutes to 90-minutes. Just that 3-sec variance gets you in and out of the ride 20 minutes faster.

Just for fun, at the 42K attendance level (about MK's average)... DK would have a 190-minute wait. So yeah, capacity matters IMO
Do I like waiting in long lines? No, but every park has them anyways. It's not a big deal at all.

The abysmal capacity on what's sure to be one of the park's hottest rides feels like a really avoidable pain point. How did they not run these calculations sooner? How did they not look at a similar ride - Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris - and see what's inevitably coming?

That approximately 960 riders per hour metric also depends on no station stops. Unless this ride has an alternate loading station to accommodate those who need more time to board, there will be constant stops. I could easily see something closer to 700/hour, which would be disastrous.

Reactions: belloq87 and Jake S
The abysmal capacity on what's sure to be one of the park's hottest rides feels like a really avoidable pain point. How did they not run these calculations sooner? How did they not look at a similar ride - Crush's Coaster at Disneyland Paris - and see what's inevitably coming?

That approximately 960 riders per hour metric also depends on no station stops. Unless this ride has an alternate loading station to accommodate those who need more time to board, there will be constant stops. I could easily see something closer to 700/hour, which would be disastrous.
Universal also didn't think Pets through either with both the capacity and restraints. No wonder why DK was scraped at USH. Hopefully they learn from this and design the rumors Luigis Mansion dark ride with high capacity to help offset the crowding DK will get.

Universal also didn't think Pets through either with both the capacity and restraints. No wonder why DK was scraped at USH. Hopefully they learn from this and design the rumors Luigis Mansion dark ride with high capacity to help offset the crowding DK will get.

Pets hoped the "virtual queue" of it all would allow it to maneuver around its capacity shortcomings, but the reality is that's not the way parkgoers want to engage with a simple family dark ride. (The unending and unpredictable supply of Universal Express guests doesn't help, either.)

I'm convinced Donkey Kong is going to be DHS Midway Mania / Epcot Soarin / USF Shrek 4D 1 Theater bad. The trouble is, you can't really add another track or theater to boost this ride's capacity.

Reactions: Jake S and TheUniC6
Pets hoped the "virtual queue" of it all would allow it to maneuver around its capacity shortcomings, but the reality is that's not the way parkgoers want to engage with a simple family dark ride. (The unending and unpredictable supply of Universal Express guests doesn't help, either.)

I'm convinced Donkey Kong is going to be DHS Midway Mania / Epcot Soarin / USF Shrek 4D 1 Theater bad. The trouble is, you can't really add another track or theater to boost this ride's capacity.
Universal has shown an ability to learn from past criticisms. They did it with "too many screens," (most of Universal's current rides rely far more on practical effects with screens used more sparingly) so hopefully future E tickets will be fully though trough for capacity.

I feel this is why Luigi’s Mansion is rumored to be more like space rangers spin type Omnimover. That could be a people eater and help diverse the crowds a bit.

I appreciate they’re trying to make DK the best authentic ride possible even if it means slightly longer waits. This whole area will be busy until the next big thing comes to Orlando, even then this is gonna just simply be a busy spot. Hopefully it offers single riders.