Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread

I can't see this opening any earlier than Summer of next year based on recent pictures. Kind of crazy that if that holds, they'll have torn down Dragon Challenge and built an entirely new Potter Coaster, but what should be a fairly simple show change-out is taking longer than I think we even originally thought was projected.

I can't see this opening any earlier than Summer of next year based on recent pictures. Kind of crazy that if that holds, they'll have torn down Dragon Challenge and built an entirely new Potter Coaster, but what should be a fairly simple show change-out is taking longer than I think we even originally thought was projected.
Good news is, based on what we're seeing now that likely means they're done with the first phase, which would have included queue and preshow updates. They're making good time since they didn't really even start on this full-speed until, what, September?

But yea, summer seems logical.

Good news is, based on what we're seeing now that likely means they're done with the first phase, which would have included queue and preshow updates. They're making good time since they didn't really even start on this full-speed until, what, September?

But yea, summer seems logical.
It makes sense to take their time on this though since people aren't clamoring for an attraction here (most guests don't even realize that T2 used to be here). This is filler while Potter is the main draw, so priorities.

I've always said that both side screens would be removed and the stage made larger for more live actors and stunt performers. The preshow space and queue areas should remain in the same configuration, and the theater space oriented the same, so that's still minimal in my book.

According to permits I'm told there will be structural additions added to the sides of the theater to help expand the stage. That lines up with the holes in the walls we're seeing. The building will also be expanded behind the stage for more back of house stuff.

In this new show the stage will take up the front and sides where the 3 screens were, and the structure is being expanded to make way for a deeper stage on the sides as well as front of theater.

Everything we're seeing now lines up with what I heard back over the summer when the permits were filed, except for the new seats. But that's not surprising if true.

Interesting. I guess when I heard the side screens would be removed and the stage made larger, I imagined all of that would be done within the confines of the existing show-building. The fact that structural additions are being added and visible construction is happening within guest view came as a complete shock to me.

Interesting. I guess when I heard the side screens would be removed and the stage made larger, I imagined all of that would be done within the confines of the existing show-building. The fact that structural additions are being added and visible construction is happening within guest view came as a complete shock to me.
and probably most everyone else. I could be wrong but I don't recall anyone saying that the building itself would be expanded beyond it's original footprint, just that the changes were occurring internally.

It makes sense to take their time on this though since people aren't clamoring for an attraction here (most guests don't even realize that T2 used to be here). This is filler while Potter is the main draw, so priorities.
It's been inferred by a few people that the long period of time between T2 closing and Bourne opening has a lot to do with the terrible condition that T2 was in at the time. I assume they could have kept it open a bit longer before pulling the plug but in the end couldn't justify the costs necessary to keep the attraction running the extra 6 - 8 months before demolition and construction was set to begin.

I know we also talked about the armory being expanded behind the structure. Most of the structure expansion will not even be visible/noticeable to guests inside the theater.

I've been trying to be purposely vague when describing changes as to not get anyone in trouble, but when I said the stage would be expanded, I meant beyond existing walls where the side screens were. It's not a huge expansion, so not too big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

We should be excited though that we're getting less screen and more stage for the next show. That's gotta be good news at least, right?

We should be excited though that we're getting less screen and more stage for the next show. That's gotta be good news at least, right?

Since this is a stunt show I've been operating under the assumption it would be entirely stage and sets with no main screen. Is that the case or will this still be a hybrid 3D show with live actors similar to T2? Also, with the seats being removed is there any word on potential movement and/or effects being built into the replacements? I always loved the "drop" effect from T2. It was highly effective and completely unique even to this day.

I know we also talked about the armory being expanded behind the structure. Most of the structure expansion will not even be visible/noticeable to guests inside the theater.

I've been trying to be purposely vague when describing changes as to not get anyone in trouble, but when I said the stage would be expanded, I meant beyond existing walls where the side screens were. It's not a huge expansion, so not too big a deal in the grand scheme of things.

Heh, I'm all for more of that. That's why my remarks expressed optimism that this is going to be bigger and better than we've been anticipating.

M
I imagine the preshow and story framing device for this show may have been tweaked after F&F opened (namely a high-tech operations room). But tweaking what plays on the screen in a preshow, or lines of dialog is not the same as changing the blueprints and building something different.

The only thing I’m kind of surprised about, if true, is the replacement of all the seats. Everything else we’re seeing is in line with information I’ve heard about changes coming to the theater. However, considering how long those seats have been there, I’m not surprised they decided to replace them as well.

Maybe the seats will be replaced with "special" seats?

T2 didn’t have a ton of backstage space for the show itself. There was basically enough room to hit your marks and store the motorcycle. That’s it. The little that I knew about the new show, it involves a lot more people than the minimal, 5 person cast of T2 and be more practical (while still integrating with screens). The expansion is entirely backstage.

Last edited:
Since this is a stunt show I've been operating under the assumption it would be entirely stage and sets with no main screen. Is that the case or will this still be a hybrid 3D show with live actors similar to T2? Also, with the seats being removed is there any word on potential movement and/or effects being built into the replacements? I always loved the "drop" effect from T2. It was highly effective and completely unique even to this day.
A large front-facing screen is still in the cards. A moving theater is out. (Although not sure if the little drop is still in play or not, or even moving seats of some sort ala Shrek 4D, but if I were to guess, probably not.)

And everything I've heard has there not being 3D glasses. That's been the one constant through all of this.

Things we should see: firearms, fire effects, and simulated running.

A large front-facing screen is still in the cards. A moving theater is out. (Although not sure if the little drop is still in play or not, or even moving seats of some sort ala Shrek 4D, but if I were to guess, probably not.)

And everything I've heard has there not being 3D glasses. That's been the one constant through all of this.

Things we should see: firearms, fire effects, and simulated running.
With a large screen being front and center, how could they possibly successfully integrate the live action and sets without 3D? I fear this could be repeating the mistakes of Fast & Furious all over again. The issue with the park was reliance on screens and not 3D. If you're going to have a stationary screen then you SHOULD be including 3D.

When people complain about screens the solution isn't to remove the bit of technology that makes the screen immersive in the first place.

At this rate they will be removing 3D from Shrek 4D and Minion Mayhem too so that they fully become movie theaters presenting short films instead of theme park attractions.

Last edited:
Don’t see the need for 3D with this show. It doesn’t need it to blend anything.
It does if the center screen is pivotal to the action happening on-stage and if it's meant to "expand" the setting of the theater. Actors standing on the same stage as a screen only works if there is an illusion of depth to make whatever is being projected appear both behind and in front of the performers. Otherwise it just looks like someone walked on-stage during a movie.

I'm glad we kick started this discussion today. some people with info finally let some of it out of the bag. :lol:....Like I always say, DISCUSSION is good. It often persuades someone with information to finally throw it out for discussion. ;) ... :)...it almost always works.

Last edited: