T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread | Page 123 | Inside Universal Forums

T2:3D - Battle Across Time Memorial Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It does if the center screen is pivotal to the action happening on-stage and if it's meant to "expand" the setting of the theater. Actors standing on the same stage as a screen only works if there is an illusion of depth to make whatever is being projected appear both behind and in front of the performers. Otherwise it just looks like someone walked on-stage during a movie.
I mean we don’t even know how the screen is going to be used. It could be used in a simple way like horror movie show. Just for showing of elements of how the movie was made. We still know nothing about the actual new show set up.

Reactions: tankart150
With a large screen being front and center, how could they possibly successfully integrate the live action and sets without 3D? I fear this could be repeating the mistakes of Fast & Furious all over again.

The best thought I'd have, is if they are going to look to DreamWorks Theater, and make the environment something that can be easily changed with just the snap of the film. It could even work like Fantasmic 2.0 on how the sets could be masked with the projection mapping, and we may be completely fine.

With a large screen being front and center, how could they possibly successfully integrate the live action and sets without 3D? I fear this could be repeating the mistakes of Fast & Furious all over again. The issue with the park was reliance on screens and not 3D. If you're going to have a stationary screen then you SHOULD be including 3D.

When people complain about screens the solution isn't to remove the bit of technology that makes the screen immersive in the first place.

At this rate they will be removing 3D from Shrek 4D and Minion Mayhem too so that they fully become movie theaters presenting short films instead of theme park attractions.
Front facing screen, no 3D,, looks stunning.

The screen in this show, like all broadway shows, is situated behind the scrim (far behind the sets and stage action) and is used to show mostly static backdrops with limited movement. If the "screen" in this show is used similarly and isn't the center of the action then we should be fine. If the screen is "front and center" with actual filmed segments and not animated backdrops then it becomes an issue. I guess it depends on how much of a true "theatrical show" this is and how much of it is a hybrid screen show with actors.

Having seen the show this week, can confirm it's spectacular in person. Granted, that had the benefit of a massive puppet versus a stunt performer on a treadmill...

Per the above post, this isn't your basic scrim screen. It's a massive array (I would assume start of the art LEDs) that portrays convincing, photo-realistic (if a touch stylized) backdrops that animate convincingly in conjunction with on-stage action.

With a large screen being front and center, how could they possibly successfully integrate the live action and sets without 3D? I fear this could be repeating the mistakes of Fast & Furious all over again. The issue with the park was reliance on screens and not 3D. If you're going to have a stationary screen then you SHOULD be including 3D.

When people complain about screens the solution isn't to remove the bit of technology that makes the screen immersive in the first place.

At this rate they will be removing 3D from Shrek 4D and Minion Mayhem too so that they fully become movie theaters presenting short films instead of theme park attractions.
Couldn’t agree more :)

It does if the center screen is pivotal to the action happening on-stage and if it's meant to "expand" the setting of the theater. Actors standing on the same stage as a screen only works if there is an illusion of depth to make whatever is being projected appear both behind and in front of the performers. Otherwise it just looks like someone walked on-stage during a movie.
Totally indeed :clap:

Apparently it looks amazing. But the reviews basically said you come up humming the scenery. (old joke)
Spider-Man all over again?

Did T2 close because the new show was ready to go in or because it was in such bad shape that it needed to close?

Considering the 3D was only working on some of the screens at the end there and this is what I looked like watching it...
giphy.gif

Considering the 3D was only working on some of the screens at the end there and this is what I looked like watching it...
giphy.gif
Yes, the 3D was really bad at the end. Such a shame. I really enjoyed the attraction, but when they updated and tried to fix the film issues, the change actually made it worse. And when the bike broke down, which became a too regular event, the show really lessened. It seems Universal really made an attempt to keep this attraction around longer, but the attempted fixes just didn't work out....Reminds me of Disaster. Everything was just falling apart at the end.

Yes, the 3D was really bad at the end. Such a shame. I really enjoyed the attraction, but when they updated and tried to fix the film issues, the change actually made it worse. And when the bike broke down, which became a too regular event, the show really lessened. It seems Universal really made an attempt to keep this attraction around longer, but the attempted fixes just didn't work out....Reminds me of Disaster. Everything was just falling apart at the end.
The "it's falling apart so we need to tear it down now" trend is making me nervous for Mummy. After Bourne opens I hope they give the ride system and launch some TLC. I know they hate shutting it down because it's such a favorite with guests but it really needs it.

The "it's falling apart so we need to tear it down now" trend is making me nervous for Mummy. After Bourne opens I hope they give the ride system and launch some TLC. I know they hate shutting it down because it's such a favorite with guests but it really needs it.
It probably needs a Disney type 6-12 month hard refurb. But the park "capacity issues' always seem to loom their ugly head, especially if they 'really' do something with Kidzone this time.

Nail, head, you hit it!
Good to hear, when I worked T23D there wasn’t a ton of backstage space. We basically all sat on the couch between the stage manager’s office and armory whenever we weren’t in show, there was no way to escape the constant noise other than going outside or to the EPC trailer.

Good to hear, when I worked T23D there wasn’t a ton of backstage space. We basically all sat on the couch between the stage manager’s office and armory whenever we weren’t in show, there was no way to escape the constant noise other than going outside or to the EPC trailer.
A lot expansion happening directly behind the main stage, including a new green room (which will be furthest away at very back of new expansion separated by other rooms, so hopefully much quieter). And then other expansion on left and right side of theater to add access space for actors behind the new side stage areas.

There will still be the regular break room next to tech at back of theater as well, but I'm sure the new additions behind the stage will be nice for the entertainment folks working.