Table Service Restaurants Inside The Parks | Page 4 | Inside Universal Forums

Table Service Restaurants Inside The Parks

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Really? I think Universal's table service within the parks is mediocre while Disney's is for the most part pretty great (There are a couple that aren't). I was just at Lombards 2 weeks ago and it was nothing to shake a stick at and every time I've been to Mythos and Finnegans I've been left underwhelmed. I've never tried Confisco but from the looks of it, it seems like it's just an expensive not-worth-it sports-bar.

EDIT: Also, those are not restaurants within the parks. One at The Contemporary, the other at Animal Kingdom Lodge.
To not assume but maybe because he thinks it’s too expensive for what you get. Listen when I go to Disney I only eat a couple of meals here or there so spending on something nice probably would be the biggest food splurge of the day.

Just ate at Toothsome for the first time today for lunch and all I have to say is WOW. Food was delicious and quite honestly one of the best if not the best Universal operated table-service establishment I've eaten at. Prices seemed cheaper on average than at in-park table-service even though the portions where definitely larger at Toothsome. Universal should really upgrade the table-service within the parks to food of this level. They have proven to me that they can do it. :)

Just ate at Toothsome for the first time today for lunch and all I have to say is WOW. Food was delicious and quite honestly one of the best if not the best Universal operated table-service establishment I've eaten at. Prices seemed cheaper on average than at in-park table-service even though the portions where definitely larger at Toothsome. Universal should really upgrade the table-service within the parks to food of this level. They have proven to me that they can do it. :)
Toothsome is very good. Dinners are even better.

Reactions: DisneyDoof
I think the food is decent and the price is set on pushing largely overpriced deserts as you may expect given the theme. Those milkshakes are double cowfish and not much better. Prob pure profit after that rate.

Reactions: DisneyDoof
As far as Disney goes, I think I’m done with table service in Disney parks. The only places I would do again is Brunch at the Top and Saana. Universal on the other hand really impressed with their offerings.
Do you mean for the money? Universal has the better value, but Disney resorts are clearly on another level (based on quality and quantity). But in-park, Epcot alone beats out the entirely of UOR. Tiffins is also hands down the best in-park restaurant in Orlando. Brown derby is “eh” and skippers is probably the best thing at MK, which isn’t saying much.

So why can't Universal put the same level of food into there in-park restaurants? No way Toothsome is even comparable to Lombard's, Mythos, Finnegan's or Confisco.

Toothsome is the best, for sure. Keep in mind that all the current restaurants in park, including QS, were all pre-Comcast. Only food in parks post Comcast are HP, which are the best QS in Orlando. So I have high hopes for whatever they put in KidZone, regardless of IP.
As for the other Universal exclusives- Antojitos is very good. Vivo is “eh”. And Toothsome is the highlight, for sure.
I still always eat at both Finnegans and Confisco- because I can get a table service meal for the price of a quick service. So when you look at it that way, they’re pretty solid. I used to be able to do that at the Plaza, but even that is now priced well beyond QS. Yak & Yeti with shared meals is my last “cheaper” hold out at WDW. And that’s not even Disney, it’s Landry’s.

So why can't Universal put the same level of food into there in-park restaurants? No way Toothsome is even comparable to Lombard's, Mythos, Finnegan's or Confisco.
With CitiWalk located just a few steps from both park's entrances, the restaurants there are literally extensions of the park's themselves. That's the way I look at it. For all intents and purposes, Toothsome and the other restaurants are park restaurants. But they have the added plus of being able to be accessed by people that don't have tickets to the parks. Kind of a win win scenario for all involved.

Toothsome is the best, for sure. Keep in mind that all the current restaurants in park, including QS, were all pre-Comcast. Only food in parks post Comcast are HP, which are the best QS in Orlando. So I have high hopes for whatever they put in KidZone, regardless of IP.
As for the other Universal exclusives- Antojitos is very good. Vivo is “eh”. And Toothsome is the highlight, for sure.
I still always eat at both Finnegans and Confisco- because I can get a table service meal for the price of a quick service. So when you look at it that way, they’re pretty solid. I used to be able to do that at the Plaza, but even that is now priced well beyond QS. Yak & Yeti with shared meals is my last “cheaper” hold out at WDW. And that’s not even Disney, it’s Landry’s.

I do the same. Usually end up at Lombard's for lunch when i'm inside the parks mostly because it is pretty much the same price and better value (Free Refills Too) in my opinion than quick service. But I agree they are still not on the same-level as most restaurants at Disney.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andysol
Do you mean for the money? Universal has the better value, but Disney resorts are clearly on another level (based on quality and quantity). But in-park, Epcot alone beats out the entirely of UOR. Tiffins is also hands down the best in-park restaurant in Orlando. Brown derby is “eh” and skippers is probably the best thing at MK, which isn’t saying much.

Just an overall experience. I don't think I'm getting a decent meal for my money plus I'm not overly keen on planning my meal 6 months before I eat. I really didn't enjoy Skipper Canteen the more I think about it and the less said about Be Our Guest the better. My problem with Epcot is that it apparently has great restaurants but I never visit them because the only thing that gets me into Epcot is Food and Wine which has now turned kind of crappy. I've not tried Tiffins but I love Saana and with it so close to AK, I'll happily return there before anything else.

I far preferred my dining experience in Universal but i'm probably going to rethink how I eat in the parks in the future. I'm fine with quick service and prepared to spend the savings on a superior meal else where.

Reactions: Mad Dog and Andysol
I haven't been to Mythos in a while, will have to try it again to see why people aren't liking it anymore.

At Disney, Via Napoli is very good for table service

With CitiWalk located just a few steps from both park's entrances, the restaurants there are literally extensions of the park's themselves. That's the way I look at it. For all intents and purposes, Toothsome and the other restaurants are park restaurants. But they have the added plus of being able to be accessed by people that don't have tickets to the parks. Kind of a win win scenario for all involved.

I sort of agree, but I find the CitiWalk places I like tend not to serve lunch (well toothsome does lunch). Anyway, I do like that we can get decent sit down meals in the park and it does tend to cost what we would spend at QS.

Something that surprises me though is that we never seem to head to the Kitchen unless we are staying at the Hard Rock as we tend to enjoy lunch there (and I really do not like the Hard Rock Cafe in CW).