Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre

Never been to an HHN plan on going to 26, I'm a big leatherface fan got him tattooed on me and everything. So for a super fan like me is it worth a 10 hour drive to come see? Just seeking advice or opinions from the vets.

Never been to an HHN plan on going to 26, I'm a big leatherface fan got him tattooed on me and everything. So for a super fan like me is it worth a 10 hour drive to come see? Just seeking advice or opinions from the vets.
The whole event is a blast, great atmosphere lots of fun! So yeah... I'd say it was worth it! (it's worth an 9hr plane ride for me!)

Lets put it this way. I first attended in 04 and since then I have seriously considered moving to Orlando just so I can make it each year. That's how much i loved it. I can afford to fly there each year now so this isn't necessary anymore though. Anyway I love how creative they get with the costumes, sets, lighting, atmosphere, etc. You will love it!

My friends and I went last year for the first time (they are not themepark nuts like myself) they loved it so much they wanted to make it an annual trip. 16 hour drive from Texas and 0 regrets

I think you're doing a wonderful thing by doing your research. That's really the best thing you can do when weighing the pros and cons.

Is it safe to assume you're a horror fan in general? What about haunted houses? Any more info about you would be lovely to hear and help.

Halloween Horror Nights is its own special kind of beast and I think certain factors to keep in mind will definitely help manage your expectations and lead to a much more enjoyable event.

What would you be looking to gain from the event? To be scared or is it moreso just to be able to step foot inside one of your favorite films?

Welcome to the OU Forums. And best wishes (and good scares) for your first HHN. :cheers:

The whole event is a blast, great atmosphere lots of fun! So yeah... I'd say it was worth it! (it's worth an 9hr plane ride for me!)
I think you're doing a wonderful thing by doing your research. That's really the best thing you can do when weighing the pros and cons.

Is it safe to assume you're a horror fan in general? What about haunted houses? Any more info about you would be lovely to hear and help.

Halloween Horror Nights is its own special kind of beast and I think certain factors to keep in mind will definitely help manage your expectations and lead to a much more enjoyable event.

What would you be looking to gain from the event? To be scared or is it moreso just to be able to step foot inside one of your favorite films?
I am a huge horror fan my whole arm is dedicated to horror lol (so I am a little crazy about it lol). I'm from a rural area so the only Halloween houses I have been in are mom and pops haunted houses people fix themselves for charity usually (never themed). I have been 6 times to universal before in the summer and I absolutely love everything about it. As for expectations yes I would Like to be scared. I would love to step foot in my favorite film. I just want a cool awesome experience. Thanks for the help everybody

I am a huge horror fan my whole arm is dedicated to horror lol (so I am a little crazy about it lol). I'm from a rural area so the only Halloween houses I have been in are mom and pops haunted houses people fix themselves for charity usually (never themed). I have been 6 times to universal before in the summer and I absolutely love everything about it. As for expectations yes I would Like to be scared. I would love to step foot in my favorite film. I just want a cool awesome experience. Thanks for the help everybody
I'm sure a few of us would love to see your horror sleeve. My boss at one of the bars I sling at has his arm dedicated as well, featuring the Tall Man, Pumpkinhead, etc - it's beautiful.

It's kinda good you don't have other haunts to compare bc these beasts are totally different.

As far as these mazes go:
  • They're beautiful - You are walking into a movie set. They're gorgeous (for the most part) and that's where a lot of my excitement comes from.
  • They're short - we might be talking 10 min depending upon speed but when I've timed em you're looking at 5-6 min.
  • They're Machines - these bad boys are designed for massive wear and tear and to be PUMPED full of people. A constant stream of people. It's designed w this is mind but there's only so much you can do, especially when it's creative vs Ops (who bonus based on thruput)
  • They're Living - what I mean by this is that these are live pieces of theater. Hence, why they are so subjective. Some can fight me on this, but for the most part, actors pick their targets. Some go for easy (the visibly scared), while some will go for the big dogs (this is the exception, not the rule.) I can almost guarantee you that if you are behind a group of scared teens (common) you will receive little to no attention from the actors.
Ben Armstrong, co-owner of Netherworld in Atlanta GA told me once that haunted houses are more collective experiences for a lot of folks and that they don't personally need to feel frightened but can experience tremendous joy in seeing others petrified. Same way we fear or laugh or cry or sympathize w any emotion we see on tv or online - you can experience in person.

I'm lucky. I get tipsy at HHN and then SISSY it and play my Gay Card as much as possible when entering a maze at HHN - it works like a charm and I get targeted constantly. For others, it may not be so easy and you can easily walk through a house at HHN and not have a single interaction w an actor.

I can't predict your experience - no one can if I'm honest - but I want to tell you what I know and want to help you have the best trip you can (if you choose to go.)

I'm sure a few of us would love to see your horror sleeve. My boss at one of the bars I sling at has his arm dedicated as well, featuring the Tall Man, Pumpkinhead, etc - it's beautiful.

It's kinda good you don't have other haunts to compare bc these beasts are totally different.

As far as these mazes go:
  • They're beautiful - You are walking into a movie set. They're gorgeous (for the most part) and that's where a lot of my excitement comes from.
  • They're short - we might be talking 10 min depending upon speed but when I've timed em you're looking at 5-6 min.
  • They're Machines - these bad boys are designed for massive wear and tear and to be PUMPED full of people. A constant stream of people. It's designed w this is mind but there's only so much you can do, especially when it's creative vs Ops (who bonus based on thruput)
  • They're Living - what I mean by this is that these are live pieces of theater. Hence, why they are so subjective. Some can fight me on this, but for the most part, actors pick their targets. Some go for easy (the visibly scared), while some will go for the big dogs (this is the exception, not the rule.) I can almost guarantee you that if you are behind a group of scared teens (common) you will receive little to no attention from the actors.
Ben Armstrong, co-owner of Netherworld in Atlanta GA told me once that haunted houses are more collective experiences for a lot of folks and that they don't personally need to feel frightened but can experience tremendous joy in seeing others petrified. Same way we fear or laugh or cry or sympathize w any emotion we see on tv or online - you can experience in person.

I'm lucky. I get tipsy at HHN and then SISSY it and play my Gay Card as much as possible when entering a maze at HHN - it works like a charm and I get targeted constantly. For others, it may not be so easy and you can easily walk through a house at HHN and not have a single interaction w an actor.

I can't predict your experience - no one can if I'm honest - but I want to tell you what I know and want to help you have the best trip you can (if you choose to go.)
I appreciate all the help and advice I can get. I was 70% maybe on going before talking to you now I'm 99% sure. One more question should I go one night or two? How many nights does it take to do it all.

I appreciate all the help and advice I can get. I was 70% maybe on going before talking to you now I'm 99% sure. One more question should I go one night or two? How many nights does it take to do it all.
That's all personal preference + what night you go + if you have express or not.

If you can afford express - spring for it - at least one night.

As live pieces of theater, these houses change from night to night, literally second by second. No walk thru will be the same. Some can walk thru them millions of times. Others will be one and done kind of folks. Personal preference.

If you want to see something more than once (AND "do it all") two nights is your best bet + Express. If you use express wisely and other options you can EASILY see each house more than once. I am capable of seeing each house twice in a each night - but I'm also a machine.

My preference has always been to hit the second or third weekend with a Rush of Fear pass and take a long weekend (3 to 4 days in the park). I feel like I get most of my bang for the buck. I'd also highly recommend the Unmasking the Horror tour if you're interested in taking pics with the props and seeing how the behind the scenes work. If you're doing multiple nights, wait until after the first night to take the tour, so you can see it all without spoilers.

Looks so awesome. That just looks like a room with a disgusting smell. this house is really one of my most anticipated this year, September week 2 can't come soon enough!!!

Watched TCM for the first time last night. Lots of good potential, but I was expecting a lot more kills with a chainsaw. Except for one person, everyone was killed with a sledgehammer. However there is more than enough content to make this a classic house. Not to mention leatherface is a great icon and will be in many rooms. Plus I never thought I would gag at the smell of BBQ which you know will be in there somewhere!

Watched TCM for the first time last night. Lots of good potential, but I was expecting a lot more kills with a chainsaw. Except for one person, everyone was killed with a sledgehammer. However there is more than enough content to make this a classic house. Not to mention leatherface is a great icon and will be in many rooms. Plus I never thought I would gag at the smell of BBQ which you know will be in there somewhere!
Which version did you watch?