The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

The Current State and Future of Universal Studios Florida

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Revenge of the Mummy is a staple of Universal. It's a highly rated attraction that guests actually remember and talk about after visiting.

I get that all attractions have the chance of getting replaced, but in a park where there are more pressing matters in the next 10 years, it would be an odd choice to replace/retheme this attraction before anything else. MIB is falling apart, Simpsons is losing its relevancy, KidZone is just waiting, ET is in bad shape, F&F...

Revenge of the Mummy is a staple of Universal. It's a highly rated attraction that guests actually remember and talk about after visiting.

I get that all attractions have the chance of getting replaced, but in a park where there are more pressing matters in the next 10 years, it would be an odd choice to replace/retheme this attraction before anything else. MIB is falling apart, Simpsons is losing its relevancy, KidZone is just waiting, ET is in bad shape, F&F...
This exactly. The main thing being is it’s genuinely such a staple. Ask anyone here up north to name a Universal ride outside of Potter and truly it’s most likely Mummy. It’s a great ride, no need for it to go till the end of the decade at least.

I agree but building a third park, having one falter is inevitable.

Last edited:
I think we have to be a little realistic when discussing what comes next for USF. Mummy is most likely staying for the foreseeable future. I hate to say it but I believe E.T. is a bigger candidate for the chopping block.

MIB is a popular ride and had a film released recently so I don’t think they are rushing to replace it either. Kidszone should be their number one priority in my opinion.

Creating an excellent and beloved attraction is tough. It also comes with a huge financial risk as an attraction costs a lot of money.
When a theme park replaces a beloved ride that scores good 3 things are taken in consideration.
1The ride is beyond repair and no replacement parts are available.
2 A new ride ip is expected to be better/more beloved than the current one.
3 Guests lost interest in the ride and merchandise/food sales are down.

Universal keeps expanding and you see they add high capacity rides and/or fill in empty lots to give their guests something to do.
When creating Epic Universe they also expand their hotel offerings and there is at ton more expansion options to build more hotels so Universal should invest in updating these dead zones (like Kids Zone/Fear Factor and the 2 theaters at IOA) first, keep updating (when possible) attractions who are in need of that and re-design non beloved attractions (like F&F).

Would you guys trade Mummy for a Ghostbusters AR shooter attraction?
Only if the Ghostbusters ride has the soul that MIB has (excellent soundtrack, engaging gameplay, highly detailed experience, memorable dialogue) since that would be removed in addition to Mummy, and only if another really well-themed thrill ride that could fill the void left by Mummy was built in the park as well.

I still think the Ghostbusters idea that essentially combined an AR shooter with TOT from a while back was really cool and it would be better than replacing Mummy since it wouldn't replace anything of value (I mean, unless you just LOVE S33).

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Only if the Ghostbusters ride has the soul that MIB has (excellent soundtrack, engaging gameplay, highly detailed experience, memorable dialogue) since that would be removed in addition to Mummy, and only if another really well-themed thrill ride that could fill the void left by Mummy was built in the park as well.

I still think the Ghostbusters idea that essentially combined an AR shooter with TOT from a while back was really cool and it would be better than replacing Mummy since it wouldn't replace anything of value (I mean, unless you just LOVE S33).
The problem with anything that would involve removing SS33 is that UNIVERSAL loves SS33. It’s one of their best performing events venues.

Would you guys trade Mummy for a Ghostbusters AR shooter attraction?
Besides my bias, no.

If Pokemon and MK will feature AR, I think they need to tread carefully with AR, as you would with too many 3D, Screen, or practical based rides. Don’t want 3 AR rides and a VR experience in each park.

AR seems super special too, I think making AR like 3D is a mistake because then anything else moving forward would be compared to that, needs to be for special usage.

That is said without ever using AR. Still, no.

I do think there's a way to implement AR in a Ghostbusters attraction that I'd be in favor of. Entirely physical sets, stuff in the AR triggering physical effects around you (maybe mix in some non-interactive, old-school, Pepper's Ghost-style gags alongside the AR, as well), and a huge finale featuring AA Terror Dogs and a giant Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man (like the old Spooktacular finale).
spook4.jpg

Goggles are even an established element of the GB arsenal, so it's fully in-theme to be wearing such things:
Ecto+Goggles

Do I want to see Revenge of the Mummy go away for the theoretical chance that Universal would create the sort of GB attraction I just outlined? No.

Remember in 1990 when Disney made an admittedly interesting, yet expensive and heavely marketed Dick Tracy movie? That's how I feel about Ghostbusters. Nothing against the people who like it, it's just not my thing or my nostalgic dream.

I also doubt that the original cast, if involved, would give an enthusiastic performance for a theme park ride. Bill Murray seems like he's in the Harrison Ford camp of 'done with this s@&t'.

However, Ghostbusters as a permanent fixture of HHN would be neat.

Last edited:
Frankly the AR Universal is using seems perfect, cause it’s for VIDEO GAMES. Hard to recreate those characters for a ride. SNW as a land proved you can do AA video game characters but in a moving ride they aren’t fast moving enough to keep up with the pace unless we want only Yoshi type rides.

Remember in 1990 when Disney made an admittedly interesting, yet expensive and heavely marketed Dick Tracy movie? That's how I feel about Ghostbusters. Nothing against the people who like it, it's just not my thing or my nostalgic dream.
I always knew there was something funny about you! ;)

In fairness, GHOSTBUSTERS was a much, much bigger hit than DICK TRACY was, and it permeated pop culture in a way that DICK TRACY didn't (though I think DICK TRACY is a very good, underrated movie).

Frankly the AR Universal is using seems perfect, cause it’s for VIDEO GAMES. Hard to recreate those characters for a ride. SNW as a land proved you can do AA video game characters but in a moving ride they aren’t fast moving enough to keep up with the pace unless we want only Yoshi type rides.
USF could use a few rides closer to the Yoshi end of the spectrum, frankly. Not that exact, specific ride/approach, but slower-moving, all-age-appropriate attractions that rely on physical environments and figures.

Last edited:
I'm honestly in the sake on if, and I mean, if, they keep anything from Rockit for a redo; it'd be the load station, the transfer track area, and the vertical lift.

Outside of that, make it a new layout done by Intamin. They are launching their first vertical launched LSM coaster, wouldn't be out there if Universal would play ball after the successful string of Velocicoaster and Hagrids in the two year period.

I'm honestly in the sake on if, and I mean, if, they keep anything from Rockit for a redo; it'd be the load station, the transfer track area, and the vertical lift.

Outside of that, make it a new layout done by Intamin. They are launching their first vertical launched LSM coaster, wouldn't be out there if Universal would play ball after the successful string of Velocicoaster and Hagrids in the two year period.

I’ve heard things to lead me to believe Intamin, B&M, etc won’t touch this with a 10 ft pole

Status
Not open for further replies.