1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

The Edison Opening Night Review

Discussion in 'Disney Springs' started by SeventyOne, Jan 1, 2018.

1. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

I rolled in around 9:30. Agreed it was very busy, despite a moderately heavy Friday night crowd at Springs at best. Tables full, at least a dozen people stalking out seats at the bars. That said, I saw zero evidence of a dress code. Plenty of t-shirts, plenty of baseball caps (backwards and forwards), and apparently pink floral "booty shorts" (or whatever the kids call them these days) are "dress shorts"? If anything, I'd say the crowd at Raglan was slightly better dressed, I think because it was mostly from one convention. Nick, curious what people were being turned away for?

Saw a lot of "hey, check out that," so the newness obviously hasn't worn off yet. That said, Edison has the same problem later-years PI had. To walk up, I had to dodge strollers and packs of selfie-taking 13 y.o.s. And too many of them were still there when I left after midnight. Also, a bit of a Margaritaville problem--announced more than once, "the dance floor is open!", but when it's lined with tables where people are still dining, just not very inviting. When the next big thing opens on Sand Lake or I Drive, I expect the crowds to migrate there.

BTW, was the PMJ clone all night, mixed with the DJ doing modern versions of period tunes. No strictly modern music. The "Pearls" came down at 10, but didn't perform. Not sure if because dance floor still not clear, a couple straggler kids still eating, or what.

Finally saw a menu, and prices are more in line with the resort than I was led to believe my initial night. Either bartender screwed up or they did a last minute re-do.

Final thoughts, still more restaurant than bar, and I still fear doomed by Fall to change drastically.

2. Nick C.

Nick C. Staff Member Moderator

I saw some people being turned away for what seemed to be their overall tourist aesthetic. People with garish shirts, backpacks, etc. However every once in awhile the bouncer would go to check on something and I saw some of those people still sneak in.

I think it's more of restaurant still too, i'm going to try to have a positive outlook on it though that they'll get past your stated "Margaritaville problem". I think the comparison to the PI-later years is the biggest hurdle here. With it being the only "nightclub" in Disney Springs, The Edison needs to impress people on their first visit to make sure they stay a popular place to come and not just popular because it's shiny and new. Newness always wears off.

SeventyOne likes this.
  3. SeventyOne

SeventyOne Veteran Member

Weird. Other than on a couple of girls didn't see any shorts--it was a cooler night--but again, plenty of sports team t-shirts, baseball caps, obvious sneakers, things dress codes usually prohibit. Jeans were the rule, not the exception. In fairness, I walked in without even talking to anyone, there was a line at the host stand but I assumed that was for tables.

If it's a nightclub that only gets going once everything else has closed, I don't see it lasting. It's fine to be busy on Friday, but a place this size needs to find a way to make money 7 days a week--needs to find a way to get people in the door on Tuesday. I don't see a long term path forward for that.

Mad Dog likes this.
  4. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Premium Member

Good points. I've seen way too many similar establishments, over my many years, open to much bravado but that were unable to sustain crowds on days other than Friday & Saturday. That will be the true test.

SeventyOne likes this.
  5. Nick C.

Nick C. Staff Member Moderator

Well, it has shorter hours on a Tuesday than a Friday for one thing, making success on those days slightly easier to accomplish. I believe it's 11 on your average Tuesday compared to 2am from Thurs-Sat.

I think the key for them - if they hope to continue as a nightclub in any capacity - is cutting reservations for dinner off earlier so you allow for a buffer period to get restaurant guests out and those who are there for the nightclub aspects in without still having tables on the dance/performance floor.

On Tuesdays though I still don't see it struggling too much because The Edison itself excels as a restaurant without the entertainment, much like Toothsome. The food is good enough to draw people in and leave a good enough impression to make them come back on their next trip. It's tough for them to juggle the place as both a family restaurant and a 21+Bar/Nightclub. I hate to see it happen, but i'm afraid that the nightclub aspect will be lost sooner than later (although they will do many private parties and special events, i'm sure).

SeventyOne likes this.