The Exorcist: Believer (HHN 32) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

The Exorcist: Believer (HHN 32)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Allow me to clarify -

Not the reception of the tent houses themselves, but the idea of a house in THAT location. There was a period when the tent houses were not seen in the light they are now because there was a general belief that tent houses were "lesser" than soundstages for whatever reason. It was debated on IOAC, it was debated here. It was very much a thing.

Either way, F&F still has only one house in its history. Just because the Disaster queue was more or less in the same location doesn't mean anything since layouts are different.

I'm not saying Exorcist is going to be a hit or that it needs to be higher on hype lists, but let's be fair here - it's hard to use the location's ONE example with the movie's ONE trailer as any sort of valid argument or point.
I mean, we also have credible reports of disastrous test screenings as well as a long track record of awful Exorcist sequels, including one film widely regarded as the one of the worst of all time. We also have DGG’s recent history of severely diminishing returns on the Halloween trilogy. There are even more red flags - the rights to the film are so mixed up the trailer wasn’t allowed to make any direct references to the original film (that’s why the photo of Linda Blair in the trailer is a publicity shot from Sarah T - Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic). So I’d argue we have a fair pile of evidence.

I mean, we also have credible reports of disastrous test screenings as well as a long track record of awful Exorcist sequels, including one film widely regarded as the one of the worst of all time. We also have DGG’s recent history of severely diminishing returns on the Halloween trilogy. There are even more red flags - the rights to the film are so mixed up the trailer wasn’t allowed to make any direct references to the original film (that’s why the photo of Linda Blair in the trailer is a publicity shot from Sarah T - Portrait of a Teenage Alcoholic). So I’d argue we have a fair pile of evidence.

I think these are all reasons to be skeptical about the ultimate quality of the completed film, but I thought we're talking about the house (and more specifically, its location). Mediocre movies have inspired solid and even great houses, as we have discussed previously.

Allow me to clarify -

Not the reception of the tent houses themselves, but the idea of a house in THAT location. There was a period when the tent houses were not seen in the light they are now because there was a general belief that tent houses were "lesser" than soundstages for whatever reason. It was debated on IOAC, it was debated here. It was very much a thing.

Either way, F&F still has only one house in its history. Just because the Disaster queue was more or less in the same location doesn't mean anything since layouts are different.

I'm not saying Exorcist is going to be a hit or that it needs to be higher on hype lists, but let's be fair here - it's hard to use the location's ONE example with the movie's ONE trailer as any sort of valid argument or point.
I can’t say anything about thinking that as when I first stated HHN, I believed that. But now that this is my 10th year I can say I was so wrong.

Exorcist might be amazing but it’s 10th on my hype list, not due to the location but due to the fact it’s not out yet. I think that may cause some of the scenes to be incomplete as they don’t want to spolier to much.

I think these are all reasons to be skeptical about the ultimate quality of the completed film, but I thought we're talking about the house (and more specifically, its location). Mediocre movies have inspired solid and even great houses, as we have discussed previously.
I was responding specifically to a comment about judging the film by the trailer.

We have discussed this before. The same very old house, Dead Silence, always comes up. But that’s a rare example, and the IP, though not great, was unique and silly enough to offer ample maze material. Part of the problem with Exorcist is that, regardless of IP quality, it’s difficult house material. In general, it’s much more common to have a bad house based on a good IP than a good one based on a bad IP. It’s not impossible, but it’s more difficult.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
I was responding specifically to a comment about judging the film by the trailer.

We have discussed this before. The same very old house, Dead Silence, always comes up. But that’s a rare example, and the IP, though not great, was unique and silly enough to offer ample maze material. Part of the problem with Exorcist is that, regardless of IP quality, it’s difficult house material. In general, it’s much more common to have a bad house based on a good IP than a good one based on a bad IP. It’s not impossible, but it’s more difficult.

I don't disagree on that point, and I can concede that an Exorcist film - in concept - does not lend itself to an obvious house adaptation, especially when guests will be completely unfamiliar with the story, characters, and locations when they enter it for the first time. The creative team on this one has their work cut out for them, but I'm sure they're giving it everything they've got.

Reactions: Casper Gutman
Kinda wish this and Chucky had swapped venues.

I have to ask, why do you want Exorcist: Believer in the Supercharged location? Because everything that has been mentioned for Chucky including the two-part angle, makes it a perfect fit for the Supercharged location which had a two-part house last year. That and Chucky doesn't need much space for a house, just look at HHN 19 where Friends 'til the End was in a Sprung tent.

The Exorcist: Believer on the other hand, it really wouldn't make sense to be put in a venue that has a literal break in the middle of it. And if they really want to crank up the AC to make it cold, something like soundstage 22 is gonna' be a far better venue as it's a small solo soundstage which has gotten quite cold before. That and the first house was pretty much in the same soundstage.

If Chucky fits for tents, and Exorcist fits for a soundstage, why would you want them swapped?

Reactions: Brian G.
Not really? Until 2019 they started doing these tunnel entrances which sometimes can be wack; but Insidious, House of 1000 Corpses, Nightingales, TCM, Halloween, Slaughter Sinema, Puppet Theater have been some of the best facades ever made.
Sometimes soundstages skip the facade entirely like Ghostbusters or Stranger Things…
They're consistently solid but I don't think they have the same highs you *can* get with the Soundstages. It's tough to top something like Dead Waters or Poltergeist without total climate control.

I have to ask, why do you want Exorcist: Believer in the Supercharged location? Because everything that has been mentioned for Chucky including the two-part angle, makes it a perfect fit for the Supercharged location which had a two-part house last year. That and Chucky doesn't need much space for a house, just look at HHN 19 where Friends 'til the End was in a Sprung tent.

The Exorcist: Believer on the other hand, it really wouldn't make sense to be put in a venue that has a literal break in the middle of it. And if they really want to crank up the AC to make it cold, something like soundstage 22 is gonna' be a far better venue as it's a small solo soundstage which has gotten quite cold before. That and the first house was pretty much in the same soundstage.

If Chucky fits for tents, and Exorcist fits for a soundstage, why would you want them swapped?

This is what I thought we were discussing - location affecting the quality, not the possible quality of the house. To which I echo Tobias's curiosity...

Reactions: Michael S
The tent r some of the best houses I have done. Even if they’re not my #1, I still remember them as great houses. They also have some of the best facades.

I don’t think venues matter so much for a good house, most of the time the only thing that depends on the venue is size of scenes and façades. Hopefully they make a better one for Chucky than the projection last year.

My point was that I hope they do something amazing with this house since it is in such a place.
I hope they go all out and make amazing sets. I hope it's very varied, big detailed rooms. Make the entire street from the movie.
Like chupscabra created that entire town. I hope this one does part of a town.

Facades are the one thing I think the tents lack on tbh. The only other real negative with them is light bleed. I enjoy the claustrophobic atmosphere. I even liked the mouth brooder house lol.

On the topic of The Exorcist colon Believer, I have such low expectations for this house that anything would be a step up. I honestly think that this house cannot disappoint me. I rank this under some of the scare zones and food offerings in terms of excitement.
Be careful of what you wish for lol :lmao:

But I have this feeling that people will love this house, and I have the strange feeling that one of the originals will be the disappointing one.

And Shrek 4D wasn't great until Case Files: Unearthed IMO.

EDIT: I feel like a disgrace for forgetting Krampus. But outside of those 2 stellar haunts, Shrek was mid- or worse.

Great haunts can be in any location, and bad haunts can be in the biggest soundstages. As far as I'm concerned, nothing Chucky-related needs a lot of space, which is an advantage, and F&F seems perfect.

I obviously can't speak on fully on the Exorcist, but I can see this utilizing a lot more lighting and effect work that I don't think would work well in close-quarters (ex. could you imagine trying to spot the demon faces from the original haunt while walking through Freaky?)
I disagree. Asylum in Wonderland 3D was great, Krampus was good, Killer Klowns was awesome fun. This is the same argument people made about the sprung tents and other claims that they weren’t great until a certain year, ignoring amazing houses that had existed in them since at least the second year of their use.

Reactions: ZombieTaco
I disagree. Asylum in Wonderland 3D was great, Krampus was good, Killer Klowns was awesome fun. This is the same argument people made about the sprung tents and other claims that they weren’t great until a certain year, ignoring amazing houses that had existed in them since at least the second year of their use.

I should clarify that I meant "I didn't like haunts in Shrek except Krampus / Case Files" rather than "These haunts were bad BECAUSE they were in Shrek." Do I think sometimes location can play a factor? Certainly. It would be hard to build Gothic in the F&F queue.

And to each their own- I probably wouldn't have liked those haunts in other locations anyways just because of the way that Universal translated them. And just because I don't like or care for a particular haunt doesn't mean they are objectively bad or that the location hindered them, I don't like a lot of haunts that others have loved.

I didn't like the first Exorcist and I don't think it needed all the space of a Soundstage, but I'm confident if it's in SS22 again that there's a solid reason for it.

Reactions: Darko and Jake S
Is anyone else low-key excited for this house? I know it isn't the popular opinion, but I'm personally hyped for this house. It's something new and I have no idea what to expect. Also in the podcasts they described this house as being "super intense and gross," which sounds awesome for an hhn house lol

I should clarify that I meant "I didn't like haunts in Shrek except Krampus / Case Files" rather than "These haunts were bad BECAUSE they were in Shrek." Do I think sometimes location can play a factor? Certainly. It would be hard to build Gothic in the F&F queue.

And to each their own- I probably wouldn't have liked those haunts in other locations anyways just because of the way that Universal translated them. And just because I don't like or care for a particular haunt doesn't mean they are objectively bad or that the location hindered them, I don't like a lot of haunts that others have loved.

I didn't like the first Exorcist and I don't think it needed all the space of a Soundstage, but I'm confident if it's in SS22 again that there's a solid reason for it.
While I liked the 26 Exorcist house, I completely agree, it did not need to be in a Soundstage. But on the flip side, it did allow for that amazing facade though, which would have been difficult to replicated outside a soundstage, leading me to believe that was the real reason for putting it there.

Based on this totally not outdated promotional photo for the house, I cannot wait to go see THE EXORCIST: BELIEVER on October 13 - from Preview Night, does anyone know which room Taylor Swift is in?
03_The-Exorcist-Believer.jpg