The Future of Fast and Furious: Supercharged | Page 34 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Fast and Furious: Supercharged

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
When IOA opened it was how Disney fans criticized the park. Basically that one talking point then stuck around as they build Mummy and HRRR. That went away with Potter and the next version of it was “SCREENS!” after Transformers opened in 14 months. “Well of course Pandora is taking longer it’s not just screens”.
I think once EU opens all concerns will go because their coasters are all very unique, and there is a wide variety beyond them. If anything, a big thrill coaster would be great for USF. HRRR isn’t very thrilling after the drop, and, likely isn’t staying forever.

When IOA opened it was how Disney fans criticized the park. Basically that one talking point then stuck around as they build Mummy and HRRR. That went away with Potter and the next version of it was “SCREENS!” after Transformers opened in 14 months. “Well of course Pandora is taking longer it’s not just screens”.

In total fairness, I don't think you can lay the screens complaints entirely at the doorstep of rabid, Disney-only fanboys. Plenty of Universal fans (and fans of both resorts) also thought/think the company went too far in that direction.

Lots of Disney fans also thought Pandora took too long to open, too.

So it's really just Disney fans trying to dismiss Universal at every turn, lol

I'm an avid Universal fan, and like most of us here, I think we can agree that Universal leaned on screens way too much, especially since they all include the same gags (water spray, fake falling to your death, being grabbed/shaked by a giant monsters, etc.). Screenz are not bad, over relying on them to do the same gags over and over again is.

The "too many coasters" talk is mostly driven by the fact that Universal hasn't built a scenic-based dark ride in a long time that doesn't rely on screens outside of SLOP at USH... but I don't think they've overly relied on coasters. If anything, the parks were deprived of them.

I'm an avid Universal fan, and like most of us here, I think we can agree that Universal leaned on screens way too much, especially since they all include the same gags (water spray, fake falling to your death, being grabbed/shaked by a giant monsters, etc.). Screenz are not bad, over relying on them to do the same gags over and over again is.

The "too many coasters" talk is mostly driven by the fact that Universal hasn't built a scenic-based dark ride in a long time that doesn't rely on screens outside of SLOP at USH... but I don't think they've overly relied on coasters. If anything, the parks were deprived of them.

I agree that a non screen based dark ride would be nice, but USF does offer two of those despite being old rides. It only has one thrill coaster. The scenic dark ride can still happen too, if it comes and replaces the Simpsons/BttF simulator building then Universal made two huge wins replacing Supercharged and Simpsons with a coaster and dark ride and the park’s attraction lineup will be a lot better balanced and will please Thanos.

In total fairness, I don't think you can lay the screens complaints entirely at the doorstep of rabid, Disney-only fanboys. Plenty of Universal fans (and fans of both resorts) also thought/think the company went too far in that direction.
Bingo. Too many simulators is the #1 bit of feedback Universal collects in pretty much any qualitative survey they generate (outside of HHN and Mardi Gras). Making it a Disney vs Universal thing is just projecting.

Btw, a lot of feedback they get is also, “more roller coasters.” UO is far from having too many at the moment, especially when there are so many variations of roller coasters you can add.

I think once EU opens all concerns will go because their coasters are all very unique, and there is a wide variety beyond them. If anything, a big thrill coaster would be great for USF. HRRR isn’t very thrilling after the drop, and, likely isn’t staying forever.

It wasn't a rational argument, it didn't matter. UOR had THREE coasters when IOA opened!

Lots of Disney fans also thought Pandora took too long to open, too.

Oh come on, you know what I mean. Disney fans engage in bad-faith arguments about screens constantly and got VERY quiet about it all after Rat/Guardians/MMRR. They don't care about this part, they want Disney to "win" and be "right".

So it's really just Disney fans trying to dismiss Universal at every turn, lol

Or anything that's not Disney. See - Six Flags is "ghetto" and such.

It wasn't a rational argument, it didn't matter. UOR had THREE coasters when IOA opened!

Oh come on, you know what I mean. Disney fans engage in bad-faith arguments about screens constantly and got VERY quiet about it all after Rat/Guardians/MMRR. They don't care about this part, they want Disney to "win" and be "right".

Or anything that's not Disney. See - Six Flags is "ghetto" and such.
My man, life is too short to be thinking this hard about what nameless, faceless Twitter accounts say about your favorite theme park

What I would do:
  • Keep Mummy. If we're adding a dark ride to New York, I'd say expand a little into the soundstage area.

• I really like the idea of gutting F&F for a GMR-style ride.

• I'd love for MIB to stay forever, but I know that's not likely. I think when they build the F&F coaster, it'll go here.

• Simpsons becomes Pokemon. Raze the simulator to the ground for a Pokemon Snap Safari dark ride.

I'm fairly certain there was a period on these very boards when out insiders told us that management was aware UOR had too many screens, it was a major (if not THE major) complaint on guest surveys, and it was one of management's top priorities to correct this. Since then... Universal has added more screens (and, to be fair, Hagrid's, which is great).

Also, UOR hasn't opened a family-friendly AA dark ride for 23 years. They added a thrill coaster 2 years ago.

What I would do:
  • Keep Mummy. If we're adding a dark ride to New York, I'd say expand a little into the soundstage area.

• I really like the idea of gutting F&F for a GMR-style ride.

• I'd love for MIB to stay forever, but I know that's not likely. I think when they build the F&F coaster, it'll go here.

• Simpsons becomes Pokemon. Raze the simulator to the ground for a Pokemon Snap Safari dark ride.
I really dig this plan. I think if there was a GMR like ride at Universal, they could use it as a vehicle to poke fun at Disney not unlike DWA did with Shrek.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
It's really a shame that SLoP didn't happen and went for Villain Con instead. USF could've really used that ride. That would've been the one ride to bring balance to the force. Too many simulators? Too many roller coasters? Here's a simple AA-heavy dark ride.

What I would really like to see done here is a modification of what Legacy suggested:

1. Keep Mummy. Sorry but that's my favorite ride at USF. No touchie!
2. Ghostbusters dark ride where the parking lot is next to the sound stages. They'll lose extended queue space for HHN but they don't seem to act like they care about that kinda stuff. I love the idea of a Universal GMR in Supercharged's space! Love it!
3. With GB being the spiritual successor to MIB, MIB can go and you can raze Fear Factor and MIB for a Tokyo area. Put a F&F Tokyo Drift thrill ride (Coaster?) and a Pokemon dark ride in this spot. Dark ride could be SLoP but on a grander scale.
4. Keep Springfield and have a MMRR-style Simpsons Ride replace the current Simpsons Ride. Clone it for Holywood.

Crazy that we've gone from people saying "Universal has too many screen-based rides" to lamenting that "Universal is gonna have too many rollercoasters" in just a matter of years.
It's preferable, but for me it's launches. And that goes for the whole industry.
I've always scratched my head at people who say/said that. I think before roughly Jaws closed, both Studios and Islands were as well balanced as anywhere!

(This is a ridiculously entertaining convo, BTW.)

I've always scratched my head at people who say/said that. I think before roughly Jaws closed, both Studios and Islands were as well balanced as anywhere!

(This is a ridiculously entertaining convo, BTW.)

Universal's always had a reputation, deserved or not. It went from "they're unreliable" (earned) to "it's all coasters" (not earned) to "it's run down" (earned) to "it's all screens" (50/50, discussion for another thread).

To bring this back around to F&F again, what is the current rumors for a replacement? Potter? Another F&F thing?