The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9) | Page 47 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Lost Continent (Poseidon Fury closing May 9)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I'm down to give it a go.. I actually want to now hearing everyone speak highly of it. I mean nothing at IOA is outstanding in quick service. I trust my fellow members on this site, so the lady and I will give it a try.

Like I said, I've never been. I always thought of it as high end sit down food that fills you up too much. Table service usually has different food from quick service. As I'm older than before I can see how one would want to sit for table service, especially if the place is an experience within itself. I meant my comment in past tense. As a teenager/young adult, table service never crossed my mind as something appealing for the type of attractions Islands of Adventure has.

When you put it in that perspective it makes sense. Especially when the theme parks themselves turn everything into 'an experience'. It makes sense I especially love how Disney and Universal have themed eateries (Sea World and Busch Gardens as well). Also, it's an easy way to make money and get 'FAMILIES' ore involved for something that can be slower paced. Everyone has different needs and desires. I used to be on go every theme park visit and now I just want to enjoy the atmosphere and people so I can definitely understand that point of view. As I stated above, I'm going to try it when I return to Universal this year.

Good stuff. Not sure what you consider “older”- but I’m 34 and thoroughly enjoy doing a sit down for lunch. In particular at UOR where I have express passes and the luxury to ride anything I want whenever I want.
As you said, the parks have pretty unremarkable QS food outside of Potter- but what I like is the value at the TS locations. Some go and order steak- but I go “value”.

You can go to Confisco, Lombard’s, Finnegans or Mythos and get a burger or a number of sandwiches for the same price or maybe $1 more than QS. granted, you tip- so it might end up being $4-5 more.
But to be able to sit down, relax, not have to find a table or stand in some queue to get food- and instead get waited on w/ water refills is easily worth the small price difference to me. The plaza at Disney used to be similar but has now priced itself out of range for this.

Most tourists can't really take it slow because if they do, they miss whole areas of the park because most tourists don't live less than an hour away and they want to experience everything, even if only on the surface level
Yes, that certainly has a lot of truth in it. So many tourists try to schedule too many parks, between Universal & Disney, than they should possibly do in the number of days they're on vacation. Probably wiser to do less parks, slow up, and do them the right way. A leisurely vacation is more restful & enjoyable than a hectic one. That said, once in a lifetime visitors to WDW & Universal will generally commando since they're probably never coming back to Orlando.

Yes, touring a theme park in a leisurely manner is certainly more enjoyable and rewarding than the commando touring so many attempt. Slow up and enjoy all the ambiance a good theme park contains. It's so much more than just the rides, and how many you can run to and do in the course of a visit. There's a lot to see, hear and experience, if you take your time, and put your smartphone in your pocket....Good to see you're changing your approach. :thumbsup::)
Thanks Mad Dog. I Dont want to stray away from topic too sharply but Absolutely. I'm 27 now with a little one and a ladyfriend, I've slowed down. Even without them, I've learned to appreciate what I am paying money for. I usually only take my phone out in queue lines. I'm so glad that I'm not that guy rushing anymore. Now, every theme park trip is like a brand new one. I discover things I've never seen or experienced and I'm like 'Hmmm, Lets do this'. My pace of life is slower and it translates very well into making sure EVERYTHING is in consideration now.

Thanks Mad Dog. I Dont want to stray away from topic too sharply but Absolutely. I'm 27 now with a little one and a ladyfriend, I've slowed down. Even without them, I've learned to appreciate what I am paying money for. I usually only take my phone out in queue lines. I'm so glad that I'm not that guy rushing anymore. Now, every theme park trip is like a brand new one. I discover things I've never seen or experienced and I'm like 'Hmmm, Lets do this'. My pace of life is slower and it translates very well into making sure EVERYTHING is in consideration now.
:thumbsup::cheers:We love Mythos. We generally try to do it once or twice every vacation. The ambiance is fantastic. The menu, though not as ambitious as before due to the pedestrian tastes of so many theme park goers, is still very good. And the prices are quite reasonable, especially considering just how beautiful the restaurant is. Service has always been good for us, and we've never had a food selection we didn't enjoy. They used to have a mushroom soup on the menu that was to die for, but I think they took it off the menu recently, though I could be wrong....Make sure you get reservations when you first get into the park since it tends to get pretty crowded, especially for lunch....A nice little aside that I see very few people taking advantage of, is the pathways that are in front of Mythos, right along the lagoon. The entrance is from Lost Continent's main path. It's a really beautiful area that's fun to explore, though it can get a bit hot on a really hot day.

Last edited:
If LC goes, I find it hard to believe they wont demo the entire land. Mythos included.

They might rebuild a new restaurant (or keep the kitchen like they did with Potter), but it won't be remotely recognizable as Mythos.

Personally, I'm still of the belief that Universal is trying to maximize counter-service in the parks and table service in CityWalk. But, I understand how that might not be true. I don't see Universal building a in-park table-service restaurant that has the potential to attract Be-Our-Guest size crowds. They just don't have the real estate to build a restaurant of that size.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
If LC goes, I find it hard to believe they wont demo the entire land. Mythos included.

They might rebuild a new restaurant (or keep the kitchen like they did with Potter), but it won't be remotely recognizable as Mythos.

Personally, I'm still of the belief that Universal is trying to maximize counter-service in the parks and table service in CityWalk. But, I understand how that might not be true. I don't see Universal building a in-park table-service restaurant that has the potential to attract Be-Our-Guest size crowds. They just don't have the real estate to build a restaurant of that size.
Why demo and rebuild though if you can just retheme?

The same reason The Enchanted Oak Tavern was razed.

My guess is they keep the kitchen and all the restrooms. Everything else get flattened. We may see new counter service places where Fire Eaters and The Kabab place are since they have electric and plumbing infrastructure in place.
I would think they would keep the kitchen. It was replaced recently wasn't it?

Reactions: Disneyhead
It is an expensive effect.

Personally, I think Zelda is a perfect fit for IOA. I was looking through some Zelda art, and I noticed that Port of Entry has a bit of a Zelda look to it.
Expensive in regards to what surrounds it, but Poseidon’s whole operating budget is still a tiny fraction of Sindbad’s, which gets considerably lower attendance (in regards to their respective capacities) and GSAT’s.

Also, only one of them is directly across from Mythos.

There's a line from Universal about how much it cost to build around the old Enchanted Oak than just demo it all.
I can’t speak for Florida. But, there’s usually tax incentives or building code grandfatherings that can occur when you’re doing “existing construction” rather than “new construction.”

I’m pretty sure you only have to keep one exterior wall up to be considered existing construction.

I can’t speak for Florida. But, there’s usually tax incentives or building code grandfatherings that can occur when you’re doing “existing construction” rather than “new construction.”

I’m pretty sure you only have to keep one exterior wall up to be considered existing construction.
This is true in Florida. Restaurants with front parking near downtown Orlando use it all the time to avoid having to build to the street ROW because of new building codes.

There's a line from Universal about how much it cost to build around the old Enchanted Oak than just demo it all.

Well the Potter aesthetic was different than what was back there. Current LC buildings would just need paint work, change of props and such. Not everything will be salvaged but a lot of what's there can be reused.

Could be one of the reasons Universal kept the DC queue building.

Reactions: happy bunny rabbit
Well the Potter aesthetic was different than what was back there. Current LC buildings would just need paint work, change of props and such. Not everything will be salvaged but a lot of what's there can be reused.

Yea, no. The current LC buildings don't fit any existing Zelda aesthetic or Berk. If one of those two replace LC, you need to knock it all down

Yea, no. The current LC buildings don't fit any existing Zelda aesthetic or Berk. If one of those two replace LC, you need to knock it all down

I don't think Mythos will be torn down...however, I do think that it can be very plausible that we may see a Fallon situation, but done on the exterior level, as they did renovate the Mythos kitchen more recently.

What I'd be curious, is how would they direct guest flow,because that may be more important to know than anything going forward for crowd control reasons.

Reactions: IAmFloridaBorn