The Future of Queueless Attractions | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Queueless Attractions

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nico

Staff
Jan 30, 2013
From some articles around the web and threads on this site, I've seen the term "queueless" thrown around lately.

I know @Teebin just mentioned that the intention is to test this process out on a smaller scale with Fallon.

I'm just curious about how successful everyone thinks this is going to be, or if its intent is just to be Universal's version of FP+.

It all depends on the execution. The reason this idea is so lucrative to the parks is people should be spending less time waiting in line and therefore be spending more time in shops and eateries. Although many people, including me, will mostly spend this extra time experiencing another attraction while waiting for my ride reservation time.

Queueless is a buzzword. There will be queues even just to get a return time. In fact the it seems like they want to echo the NBC NYC Touring by having your times you get return times for.

Queueless doesn't work as a wide scale theme park strategy.

Reactions: maxairmike
Disney's FP+ ..... disaster and a stupid idea.

Yeah it kind of makes sense in theory, but in practise it's just a mess of reservation hell.

Now if you had just a simple system, maybe it could work. I think it's just the latest fad idea, and will soon pass.

I would be shocked if Volcano Bay didn't heavily feature some kind of new queue. It could either be the pool-tube queue you see at Atlantis or this.

Disney has given itself quite the cool technological innovation. Even Jurassic World featured wristbands similar to MagicBands. I think in the next few years, Universal is going to heavily follow Disney's lead on the NGE ideas.

I would be shocked if Volcano Bay didn't heavily feature some kind of new queue. It could either be the pool-tube queue you see at Atlantis or this.

Disney has given itself quite the cool technological innovation. Even Jurassic World featured wristbands similar to MagicBands. I think in the next few years, Universal is going to heavily follow Disney's lead on the NGE ideas.

None of Jurassic Worlds implementations were queue less or FP+, remember?

The problem is queues are designed to hold people for capacity. If you remove people from the queues you must open up more areas or attractions. It's the paradox: to do queue less a park needs queue area reclaimed by lounge areas or more attractions. It can't coexist with a mentality of "well they'll plan more so guests experience more so we don't have to open more".

They were just rubber bands to show they were VIPs, then they were given vouchers too
They were called Scanbands, the implication was that you would scan them to access attractions. While they were told they were VIP's everyone else in the park had one as well so I would assume the Scanbands the main characters had were set up to give them better access or perhaps everyone was considered a VIP.

JwzSYJTl.jpg

Anyway obviously the comedy in this movie came from making fun of many of the negatives of the theme park industry, long lines, overpriced sodas, cheap merchandise, inexperienced ride operators and of course they chose to include Magic Bands in with that. It was a good choice in my opinion!

Reactions: Cheezbat
They were called Scanbands, the implication was that you would scan them to access attractions. While they were told they were VIP's everyone else in the park had one as well so I would assume the Scanbands the main characters had were set up to give them better access or perhaps everyone was considered a VIP.

Anyway obviously the comedy in this movie came from making fun of many of the negatives of the theme park industry, long lines, overpriced sodas, cheap merchandise, inexperienced ride operators and of course they chose to include Magic Bands in with that. It was a good choice in my opinion!

Good spot, thanks :)

I agree with the making fun of theme parks, the shops in the main area having Starbucks Pandora etc did make me chuckle

I just don't think walking up to a ride and being rejected if you don't have a reservation is what the future of theme parks is about. And like someone else said, no theme park can be really stand to go "queueless" right now. Maybe a water park since lounging or floating in the lazy river or wave pool is part of the fun. But a regular park? There's only so much shopping and dining you can do.

I have to admit, I was one of those bashing fastpass plus, until I actually tried it for myself. To my surprise I actually liked it, a lot. It made everything so much easier. But I'm not sure I believe a totally "all queueless" park would work. It would cramp up the more relaxing areas of the park.

I just spent a week at WDW with some visiting family, this was the first time I really used FP+, especially in a "vacation" type scenario. It was HORRIBLE! I think I would have rather just waited in the lines. Those 3 FP's dictate your whole day you have to plan everything around them other rides, lunch etc. It completely ruins the whole experience, you have continuously worry about getting to your next FP and any thought to do anything else results in looking at your app to see when your next FP is and if what you want to do will fit into that plan. I not only witnessed my own family's frustration with it but overheard many other equally frustrated with the system. It's really sad to hear parents telling their kids "no we can't do that our FP for that is tomorrow" or "we don't have time to play here we have to get to our next FP" etc. To top it all off the FP lines have gotten out of hand we waited from 20-45 minutes in FP lines on multiple occasions.

Reactions: Doug A. and Teebin
I just spent a week at WDW with some visiting family, this was the first time I really used FP+, especially in a "vacation" type scenario. It was HORRIBLE!

Hmm, I wonder if the majority of users of this thing have the same reaction. Hardly sounds like a vacation of fun and whimsy, whimsy being the most important of idle happiness.

Showing up for an appointment on time, does that sound like a vacation to you?

Reactions: MrRoamer
I can tell you as someone who has to deal with this all day, it is a nightmare for some guests and a dream for others. Some people love to plan out every detail of their vacation and it's great for them. For anyone who wants to relax and be spontaneous it is a nightmare. Of course those who like to plan everything aren't very happy when Disney Transportation throws them a curve ball like a broken down monorail...

To me, the practical application of the wrist band was the same as using the old type of fast pass. The exception being that you could make your picks before you get to the parks and so you already know ahead of time what your schedule would be. And you didn't have to rush halfway across the park to a fastpass machine to print out your time. I also loved how you didn't have to keep up with a fastpass card, you just scanned your bracelet. And you could also use it to pay for food, open your hotel room door, enter the parking lot to your hotel, etc. etc. It made things easier because there was a lot less things to have to keep up with. You just used your bracelet for everything. Ours was a last second trip and we were still able to get everything we wanted the day before leaving by just clicking online. The one thing that I did not like is the phone app didn't work, if you wanted to make changes. I know I'm sounding like a Disney apologist, hahaha. Not trying to be. Universal kicks Disney's arse in everything. But I just really liked fastpass plus. I also understand that I'm in the minority. :cheers: