The Future of Wet 'n Wild | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

The Future of Wet 'n Wild

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone keep calling Wet and Wild the first water park. River Country opened before it and it seems like I've always heard River Country referred to as the first water park.

I assume it is because it was a "peoples" water park as it wasn't an expensive perk of staying at WDW. That, and the fact that it probably lasted longer in the end.

River Country was never advertised as a water park it was called and advertised as a Swimming Hole. WetnWild if I'm not mistaken was the first to be advertised as a Water Park

How do you know it will be closed without a ceremony?

Entirely possible. Just meant more in a general sense, many cities, there would be a push to preserve a 40-year-old landmark as an institution somehow (I remember a push to do that with the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, for instance). In Orlando, just a tweet on a random Wednesday, it's going to close, everyone just sort of assumes it will torn slap-down. Other than DLR and maybe Horizons, there isn't a whole lot of nostalgia in the theme park world.

River Country was the first Water Park. Wet and Wild is considered the first modern water park. Meaning the use of entirely self contained filtered and chlorinated water.

Not really a big difference, more an industry thing.

Even though I've heard a lot of people asking for some of the rides to be ported over, I just don't see Universal theming re-theming some used slides in their "water theme park" that's going to change the face of water parks forever or whatever hyperbolic marketing speak they're using to describe it.

I wonder if Fun Spot dusts off it's little water park plans it had about the same time they announced the two new coasters? They bought that piece of land across the street after they decided against the water park addition. Was to go where the gator attraction is now.
1ew9aq.jpg

I believe they used some of this land for the new Gatorspot attraction so I would doubt this is happening anymore.

We will probably check out Wet N Wild next year so the kids can play in that cool play area they have. I have been there once before and really have no sentimental feelings for its departure so bring on the wrecking ball :lol:

Reactions: Jon84
This article from News 13 states that Fun Spot may "add the beginnings of a water park......"

With the void left two blocks away, the Fun Spot has plans to add the beginnings of a water park, with small slides, a lazy river and a possible log flume. The Fun Spot's parking lot could become future expansion for a larger water attraction, while 12 acres nearby could then become parking."

Meantime, the Aries are not concerned about what future plans Universal has in the works.

"As I've heard a lot lately, in a rising tide all ships rise. And I believe that's going to happen," Arie said.

The Aries said they expect to have phase one of their water attraction open within a year to 18 months, before Wet 'N Wild closes.

River Country was never advertised as a water park it was called and advertised as a Swimming Hole. WetnWild if I'm not mistaken was the first to be advertised as a Water Park

And we all know that WDW has a different name for everything, after all, they don't call Big Thunder Mountain a roller coaster, it's a "roller coaster type attraction".

I am placing bets on another value resort being put in its place, and the only reason I think it would be a value resort is the distance from that plot of land to the parks. It's a little small for another gate. A hotel with a really cool pool area and some slides, like that one at the corner of Sand Lake and I-Drive, would be a nice little throwback to WNW.

Can Universal build a really cool monorail like the one in Jurassic World? It could connect this area to the parks, and maybe go to ALL the hotels.

So, a couple more thoughts. If Fun Spot builds a water park, it would most likely be in the same vein as WNW, and perhaps some of those slides and such could even be sold to them. Fun Spot doesn't have the multi- multi-million dollar budget that Universal does, so any water park or slide area they do would have to be smaller and more basic. If this is the case, there would be no reason to keep WNW open.

The other thing is, a water park does NOT bring in revenue year round. All of the water parks close for a couple of months in the winter, for cleaning and maintenance (yes, like Wally World) and because it is generally too cold at that time of year to operate a water park. A hotel or shopping/entertainment district brings makes money every day of the year. For that reason, having only one water park at a resort with limited space resources make more financial sense.

I actually kind of thought Uni would keep this park open, and have 2 parks like Disney does, but since Uni also does have the vast amount of acreage that Disney has, I can see their reasoning on this.

And we all know that WDW has a different name for everything, after all, they don't call Big Thunder Mountain a roller coaster, it's a "roller coaster type attraction".

I am placing bets on another value resort being put in its place, and the only reason I think it would be a value resort is the distance from that plot of land to the parks. It's a little small for another gate. A hotel with a really cool pool area and some slides, like that one at the corner of Sand Lake and I-Drive, would be a nice little throwback to WNW.

Can Universal build a really cool monorail like the one in Jurassic World? It could connect this area to the parks, and maybe go to ALL the hotels.
there is no hotel at that corner.

maybe you are referring to Coco Key Water Resort not too far from that corner?

Yes, I think @kimlovesfl is referring to Coco Key.

FWIW, Wet 'n Wild stays open year-round. Of course, the park can choose to close based on attendance levels on the day of, or a couple days in advance.

Even though I've heard a lot of people asking for some of the rides to be ported over, I just don't see Universal theming re-theming some used slides in their "water theme park" that's going to change the face of water parks forever or whatever hyperbolic marketing speak they're using to describe it.

Yea. With the theming level and need to be creative with space, there's no way they reuse slides. Not to mention ProSlide will probably want to show off and make Volcano Bay a showcase for what they can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.