The George Lucas Project | Inside Universal Forums

The George Lucas Project

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jul 13, 2016
Los Angeles
Hi, I'm new to the forums so forgive me if this is in the wrong space, but one of the things I've never seen discussed here before is what was known at the time as the "George Lucas Project".

Right after Universal Studios Florida opened, George Lucas and team were approached to assist with creating new attractions for the park, a potential second gate, hotels for the MCA property, and also introduced to their state of the art production facilities for potential productions. This was Universal's way of going head to head with Disney at a time when IP's to create experiences from were limited for the studio. Spielberg and Lucas together seemed like a match made in heaven to battle the mouse in his own house.

Discussions quickly broke down due to several unfortunate factors and MCA eventually decided to pursue other concepts including "Cartoon World" which eventually evolved into Islands of Adventure. However, there is still some early concept art and scripts for attractions floating around out there that have never made the light of day that were created in collaboration with the Lucas team. Anyone know more? ;)

Hi, I'm new to the forums so forgive me if this is in the wrong space, but one of the things I've never seen discussed here before is what was known at the time as the "George Lucas Project".

Right after Universal Studios Florida opened, George Lucas and team were approached to assist with creating new attractions for the park, a potential second gate, hotels for the MCA property, and also introduced to their state of the art production facilities for potential productions. This was Universal's way of going head to head with Disney at a time when IP's to create experiences from were limited for the studio. Spielberg and Lucas together seemed like a match made in heaven to battle the mouse in his own house.

Discussions quickly broke down due to several unfortunate factors and MCA eventually decided to pursue other concepts including "Cartoon World" which eventually evolved into Islands of Adventure. However, there is still some early concept art and scripts for attractions floating around out there that have never made the light of day that were created in collaboration with the Lucas team. Anyone know more? ;)
Is it too early to call him New Teebin?

Reactions: tankart150
I've been doing the theme park forum thing for a very long time, specifically related to Universal, and I've never heard anything about this. If there is anything out there about it, I would definitely love to see it.

I didn't know Lucas had a history with Universal before Disney. Soon after Michael Eisner was made CEO, he brought in Lucas to help with theme park attractions. That effort created Captain Eo, Star Tours, and the Indiana Jones ride at DL. There were other attractions that were planned and designed but never saw the light of day, such as an alien musical revue that would have replaced Carousel of Progress and would have stared the voice of Michael Jackson, playing a pansexual alien (no joke).

In response to Lucas' efforts at Disney, Universal brought in Steven Spielberg, where I think he is still working as a creative consultant.

I didn't know Lucas had a history with Universal before Disney. Soon after Michael Eisner was made CEO, he brought in Lucas to help with theme park attractions. That effort created Captain Eo, Star Tours, and the Indiana Jones ride at DL. There were other attractions that were planned and designed but never saw the light of day, such as an alien musical revue that would have replaced Carousel of Progress and would have stared the voice of Michael Jackson, playing a pansexual alien (no joke).

In response to Lucas' efforts at Disney, Universal brought in Steven Spielberg, where I think he is still working as a creative consultant.

Timeline wise, I'd put this collaboration with Universal after Disney.

I've seen an ungodly amount of Universal Orlando concept art dating back to the early-80s. I have never once, ever, heard of this.

I'm not saying it's not true, but I need some more proof. With Lucasfilm properties licensed to Disney since 1987, it seems less likely that to me that their head would collaborate with their competitor.

Reactions: peteralt
I spent a couple of hours a while back on the web trying to find information about this. Could not find a scrap of information. If anyone knows of any web references for this please post a link.

:drool: I love stories from the trenches :D

Not pertaining to Lucas.. But before IOA was announced we received an unsolicited Vhs tape in the mail asking us to watch a video about a new theme park and fill out a paper questionnaire afterwards. The caveat was that we could only watch the tape once. They had installed a magnet in the cassette such that as u watched it scrambled the tape as it was drawn over the magnet. My son and I watched and yes it was filled with artists conceptions for IOA.... Oh and we lived in Virginia...

Not pertaining to Lucas.. But before IOA was announced we received an unsolicited Vhs tape in the mail asking us to watch a video about a new theme park and fill out a paper questionnaire afterwards. The caveat was that we could only watch the tape once. They had installed a magnet in the cassette such that as u watched it scrambled the tape as it was drawn over the magnet. My son and I watched and yes it was filled with artists conceptions for IOA.... Oh and we lived in Virginia...

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing that. It is neat to hear of different marketing strategies

Welcome the the friendly OU Forums. :thumbsup:

They had installed a magnet in the cassette such that as u watched it scrambled the tape as it was drawn over the magnet. My son and I watched and yes it was filled with artists conceptions for IOA.... Oh and we lived in Virginia...
This tape will self destruct in five seconds.
mission-impossible-jim-phelps-briefing-6-tape-recorder-self-destructs.png

I didn't know Lucas had a history with Universal before Disney. Soon after Michael Eisner was made CEO, he brought in Lucas to help with theme park attractions.

That is my understanding as well. I don't buy Universal working with Lucas one bit until I see concrete proof of it, or some of the EXTRA-seasoned, SUPER "in-the-know" insiders/industry folks step forward with more information. Spielberg went to work for Universal to counter Lucas working for Disney.

Reactions: peteralt