Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Hat Box Ghost Returns?

Apr 6, 2014
Rushmore Academy
Recently in the Disneyland's gallery pictures of the hatbox ghost has been added with the tagline "materializing august 2014". This might be the same hatbox ghost showcased at the D23 expo or a new one with the original effect in use. This could come to Disney world aswell. Who's pumped?

Me too!!! I wonder if they'd put him in the same spot he always was or make him look like the new del toro movie version. This would be awesome
hauntedmansion3212012.jpeg

Recently in the Disneyland's gallery pictures of the hatbox ghost has been added with the tagline "materializing august 2014". This might be the same hatbox ghost showcased at the D23 expo or a new one with the original effect in use. This could come to Disney world aswell. Who's pumped?

I don't get it. Isn't this about the time that Haunted Mansion Holiday takes place? Would he make his debut during that?

I don't get it. Isn't this about the time that Haunted Mansion Holiday takes place? Would he make his debut during that?

Well it's a month before but you are right that's too soon to actually enjoy him normally. I think Disney is just going to add him along with the other stuff while they're fixing up for that. Hopefully he isn't just a haunted mansion holiday thing. How lame would that be?

Eh, I don't see it fitting in with HMH at all. Plus they know HM fans have been waiting for him to come back for a LONG time. I don't see them just throwing him in there right before the ride goes down for holiday décor.

That's what's so confusing about this because I don't see that happening either. It's kind of ridiculous that one updated animatronic from the 60's is going to take until August to put in. I rather just wait until January where the normal mansion is back, makes me scared that the hatbox ghost will be holiday exclusive :-X

Insanely happy and excited for this news. Can't wait to see what the animatronic will look like, might show off the new character design for the new movie. This is how you do fan service, TDO take note

Out of curiosity, where was it listed as coming in August? I imagine they would want this effect up and running before the 60th and around the same time as the other rides come back from refurb. After all, they have had that fake wall where he is going to be for a few months.

Didn't they say he was returning next month? By the way I never mentioned this in my review but the attic at DL kills ours. The projection mapping of the piano player is downright unsettling. Can't wait to see how Hatty will fit in

I'd be a lot more excited for this if every addition to the HM wasn't generally awful in the past 10 years. Hoping for the best...but not holding my breath.

I'm much more excited for the new Abominable Snowman in the Matterhorn

Didn't they say he was returning next month? By the way I never mentioned this in my review but the attic at DL kills ours. The projection mapping of the piano player is downright unsettling. Can't wait to see how Hatty will fit in

Yeah, I fricking love the piano player in the attic, he is always my favorite ghost to point out to new riders! I forgot how bad it looks the old way until I visited WDW this past October. Hatty will be interesting just because the old effect was triggered by the sound of the bride's beating heart which is obviously gone.

Edit: misread the first post, disregard my August comment.

Last edited:
I'd be a lot more excited for this if every addition to the HM wasn't generally awful in the past 10 years. Hoping for the best...but not holding my breath.

I'm much more excited for the new Abominable Snowman in the Matterhorn

Well this is DL and it's just an animatronic, I'd be unexcited if it was a giant overhaul including Hatty but we are just getting Hatty so there must be a lot of effort being put into it. I guess we will see but I have high hopes for this. Now for the snowman I have no idea how they could make anything threatening with the space they gave it. Expecting that to be a giant bummer

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, I fricking love the piano player in the attic, he is always my favorite ghost to point out to new riders! I forgot how bad it looks the old way until I visited WDW this past October. Hatty will be interesting just because the old effect was triggered by the sound of the bride's beating heart which is obviously gone.

Edit: misread the first post, disregard my August comment.
Hopefully it'll have it's own rhythm with the piano player. That's the only way I could see it working. My biggest fear is that it won't do the effect it was originally made to do and just swing the box around like the D23 AA. Hopefully I'm wrong