Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The House with a Clock in Its Wall

May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Universal
Jack Black, Cate Blanchett
Family Horror Film
Directed by Eli Roth
In the tradition of Amblin classics where fantastical events occur in the most unexpected places, Jack Black and two-time Academy Award® winner Cate Blanchett star in The House with a Clock in Its Walls, from Amblin Entertainment. The magical adventure tells the spine-tingling tale of 10-year-old Lewis (Owen Vaccaro) who goes to live with his uncle in a creaky old house with a mysterious tick-tocking heart. But his new town’s sleepy façade jolts to life with a secret world of warlocks and witches when Lewis accidentally awakens the dead.

That looks really fun and gives me a great vibe of Mystic Manor and Haunted Mansion, combined into one movie.

Really excited to see what Jack Black and Blanchett do with eachother's personas, and I am curious to see how Eli Roth goes Family.

this is gonna be a seven degrees of haunted mansion here but.This movie is based on a 70s Gothic horror children's book which was later adapted to a Halloween special with three segments featuring this book as one of them.The host of the special was Vincent price who as we all know voiced the ghost host.
if you want to watch the special its on you tube its
Vincent Price's Once Upon a Midnight Scary
the clock in the walls starts at 23min

Finally saw the trailer for this at the theater and I’m pretty excited about It. Universal could do its own haunted mansion with this. And put it in the South Park NEXT TO DRACULAS CASTLE.

Okay I’ll see myself out

New trailer

pzWrWmfFuKMduhcl5WmhLUeu66QEFAiJKVOtabRzdqY.jpg

The film currently is still in editing but Spielberg and Cate Blanchet have both watched the film and given it high praise according to Eli Roth.

Cate had the best quote. She’s like, “Your movie is a mixture: the lunacy and fun of Gremlins, the heart of E.T., the beauty of Barry Lyndon. And then it goes into Virginia Woolf at some point.”

And when he (Spielberg) saw the movie, he said, “Eli, you really did it. You really made a true Amblin movie. It’s not mocking or beholden to something before it, yet it feels like it’s in the tradition of those. You’re really carrying the torch.” It was pretty magical.
Eli Roth on ‘The House With a Clock in Its Walls’

Additionally attached only to this film for first week at IMAX 3D showing for the first time ever.....Michael Jackson Thriller Remastered in Imax 3D.

On the heels of the Michael Jackson Diamond Celebration and leading into the Halloween season, IMAX and the Estate of Michael Jackson are partnering to break new ground by digitally re-mastering Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D into IMAX 3D for the first time ever, Bloody Disgusting learned. The exclusive engagement will run for one week only, beginning September 21, 2018, in domestic IMAX theatres—ahead of showings of Amblin’s The House with a Clock in Its Walls.
Michael Jackson's "Thriller 3D" Gets IMAX Release Attached to Eli Roth's 'The House with a Clock in Its Walls'! - Bloody Disgusting

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. If they have genuinely made a family-friendly scary movie that still has a bit of edge and works for adults (in the GREMLINS style, tonally), it could be a lot of fun.

Since thriller 3D is solely attached to this film...

As well as two tv spots

Currently tracking for a 22 million to 30 million domestic opening with a domestic box office total of 80 million USD. Its expected to have long legs with a lot more tracking near the halloween season.

The filmed premiered two days ago in London with an much better synopsis....I will post in spoilers for those who wish to see this film blind as well more about the film from the cast

Lewis Barnavelt, after losing his parents, is sent to Michigan to live with his uncle Jonathan. He discovers his uncle is a warlock, and enters a world of magic and sorcery. But this power is not limited to good people: Lewis learns of Isaac Izard, an evil wizard who wanted to cause the Apocalypse so that he could see what happened afterwards. To do this, he constructed a magical clock with black magic, as long as it exists it will keep ticking, counting down to doomsday. He died before he could finish the clock, but he hid the clock in his house, where Uncle Jonathan now lives. Now Lewis and Jonathan must find the clock before it’s too late, and before Isaac’s wife, Selena, gets to it.

Eli Roth already has a sequel written with the cast already on board and ready and hoping the film is a success

Last edited: