Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The House with a Clock in Its Wall

Did you actually read the reviews...the film seems highly divisive because some hated the fact it whimsical and fun and not serious while others loved how whimsical and fun and light the film was.

That doesn't change the fact that it's probably not going to make much money at the box office. There's almost no hype for this movie. I can see it making somewhere around 150 million, nothing more. It probably won't make enough to get a sequel, and, sadly, not enough to get a ride at the new park.

That doesn't change the fact that it's probably not going to make much money at the box office. There's almost no hype for this movie. I can see it making somewhere around 150 million, nothing more. It probably won't make enough to get a sequel, and, sadly, not enough to get a ride at the new park.

Allow me to ask you, how much do you think this really costs?

Because considering the odds, it could very well be while high-budget for Eli, low-budget for film in general.

Money in box office doesn't necessary dictate future. BTW current tracking for this film is already surpassing Goosebumps 2 and Smallfoot which are the only two family based films coming out until November which means this film may have long legs. Add in its based off a book, and its only PG, school trips will likely go to see it. Its the cost of the film, international appeal, and impact. Right now its tracking has remained somewhat consistent and this is literally the first kids movie of the fall season with no other new family films out in theatres right now.

Also the budget including marketing for this film has been around 25,000,000 USD and it will get a big promotional push from its Chinese investors of Amblin Partners near Chinese release date.

Yikes, this has a 59% on Rotten Tomatoes. It's probably going to end up being a box office bomb, anyways.

Going to bring this up, earlier today; the positive amount of reviews caused it to rise to 63% on RT. That said, it has since gone back down to 58, which reminds me of another film that had a..shall we say, similar matter of circumstance from last year.

That said, The Wrap has reported the film to have a 40 million dollar budget, which while the highest Roth has had for a film budget, is still small for a film of this caliber.

Last edited:
Considering the odds for Eli, that's actually good.

That said, coming from someone who quite enjoyed a film that got panned by critics from this summer, I am more than willing to be keeping an open mind for House with a Clock in It's Walls.
What movie? :)
@Joe Sorry I keep double posting, is there an edit button? I always forget to insert quotes

What movie? :)
@Joe Sorry I keep double posting, is there an edit button? I always forget to insert quotes

Oh there is an edit button, hell I use it quite often. ;)

That said, last year in the period of 3D animation; Hasbro & Lionsgate released a 2D animated adaptation of the 4th gen of MLP. It was to be considered a bomb..until it wasn't, and it had an initial period of negative critical reviews, before they began to pop back up.

As far as I understand, it was low budget for it's quality; and was a surprising success for budgets.

Oh there is an edit button, hell I use it quite often. ;)

That said, last year in the period of 3D animation; Hasbro & Lionsgate released a 2D animated adaptation of the 4th gen of MLP. It was to be considered a bomb..until it wasn't, and it had an initial period of negative critical reviews, before they began to pop back up.

As far as I understand, it was low budget for it's quality; and was a surprising success for budgets.
Awesome thanks :) How do I find it? :)
Edit: I found it lol it was in front of me the whole time! :lol:

Review: A fun and enjoyable trip to watch. Jack Black & Cate were a riot; as the kid actors were surprisingly great.

It feels extremely Halloween, and yet; it NEEDS to be a dark ride. Eli Roth and his teams created something that'd be perfect for a Universal park.

Wanted to love this, but couldn't. It's bad. I have no idea how people are saying the child actors are sufficient; they just aren't, and frequent attempts at "crying" come off dreadfully forced... we're talking Full House level here.

It can't help but feel very cheap, to boot, with shoddy CGI and very limited camera angles.

Worst of all, though, is the editing - this feels cut within an inch of its life, with the story having no propulsion, scenes progressing with no logical flow or cause and effect, and random plot bits that appear from nowhere or fizzle out.

Some of the visuals are pretty and Cate Blanchett is a treat in any role, but this really ended up being a dud.

In the second week, it's being estimated that House with a Clovk will be getting the film at around the 53 million mark, exceeding the production budget for the film.

Estimates are placing that House with The Clock in It's Walls will be at 79 million for this weekend, combining Domestic & International.

Depending on Marketing, it may be possible that not only is the film in the black, but it may be financially successful for everyone involved.

DISCLAIMER! I don’t know how to write a movie review, so just bear with me.

House with a clock in it’s walls is surprisingly DARK? It actually had a GOOD TWIST?!?? The movie had HUMOR I laughed at?
All i can say is DONT LISTEN TO THE BAD REVIEWS!!!
EDIT- Only compliant THE CHILD CAN NOT FAKE CRY!! I COULD DO BETTER!!!