Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Imagineering Story

Just watched the last episode and I literally burst out laughing when the narration called Flight of Passage “Soarin’ Over Pandora” :lol:

Remember when some argued that FoP shouldn't be compared to Soarin'? I remember. :lol:

I dug the honesty from Rhode during that segment, admitting the difficulty of bringing the property to life in a theme park.

Also - I chuckled on how they ignored Toy Story Land and FLE.

Remember when some argued that FoP shouldn't be compared to Soarin'? I remember. :lol:

I dug the honesty from Rhode during that segment, admitting the difficulty of bringing the property to life in a theme park.

Also - I chuckled on how they ignored Toy Story Land and FLE.
Tbh, FLE, should’ve been covered in Episode 5. I understand skipping TSL, but there was a lot of behind the scenes controversy with FLE that would’ve been interesting to hear about.

Although, I think Staggs had a lot to do with that if I remember and he sure as hell wasnt doing an interview for this.

I read this thread with caution to not find out too many "spoilers" so I can see their story produced without any biased coming in like "they're withholding the truth, only showing themselves positively, etc" but honestly this seems to be very honest and if they truly say "Soarin' Over Pandora" then I will purchase my Disney+ TODAY. Although I may do this anyways. Glad to hear this has been well done, its honestly just above The Mandalorian for my must watches on Disney +. Finally got that HDMI connector so I can watch on my tv! Woohoo!

Tbh, FLE, should’ve been covered in Episode 5. I understand skipping TSL, but there was a lot of behind the scenes controversy with FLE that would’ve been interesting to hear about.

Although, I think Staggs had a lot to do with that if I remember and he sure as hell wasnt doing an interview for this.

FLE? What's that acronym?

Well, through the first 2 episodes of this and I don’t think I’ll be leaving my couch for the day. It’s been said but I’m just reinforcing that this is a MUST, for anytbing theme park fan. Incredible and pretty honest. I love this so much, although all the Epcot talk makes me sad as I feel it’s lost it’s meaning but not tryna go down that rabbit hole. This is so well done though, hope for documentaries of this quality to come on Disney + for whatever they can.

Wow, just stunning. Finished moments ago and this documentary totally made me feel that Disney Magic again. It felt authentic, which I did not expect going in, genuine, heartfelt, and made with passion. Gives me an entire new appreciate for the Disney parks as someone who is not so familiar on the history. Outstanding documentary.

Interesting hearing them talk about the left over content. I could see lots of little spinoff docuseries' happening undering The Imagineering Story name. Something Like The Imagineering Story: Disneyland (or any number of things). It would leave the original series as an overarching look at Imagineering while these series would be able to do more of a deep dive/focus on Disneyland, WDW, DLP, TDL, HKDL, SHDL and DCL all individually.

Interesting hearing them talk about the left over content. I could see lots of little spinoff docuseries' happening undering The Imagineering Story name. Something Like The Imagineering Story: Disneyland (or any number of things). It would leave the original series as an overarching look at Imagineering while these series would be able to do more of a deep dive/focus on Disneyland, WDW, DLP, TDL, HKDL, SHDL and DCL all individually.

Exciting to hear! I’d like some deeper dives into classic attractions and their history along with archival footage.

I finally marathoned this whole thing.

For the bulk of its extensive running time, it's an absolutely fantastic look at the design and execution of the most storied theme parks and attractions on the planet, presented in a glossy -- but relatively frank and honest -- way. The amount of archival footage here is nothing less than a goldmine for fans, and the way it highlights the numerous personalities who had their hands in the creation of Disney’s themed entertainment is very important for posterity. The evident passion and emotion on display from these folks is quite heartwarming to see.

Things do sputter out in the last two episodes, however, where it becomes clear that making Bob Iger’s decisions look as good as possible was a major goal, to the detriment of the overall package; Iger’s legacy with the theme park side of Disney’s business will (in time, I believe) be viewed as incredibly mixed, not the resounding triumph of wisdom and good taste which it is depicted as here. The fluffery starts to come out in full force, and any discussion of internal conflicts is buried. Obviously, nobody should have been expecting this to slam the regime that greenlit this project, but a bit more objectivity -- and fewer pulled punches -- would have been greatly appreciated. The multi-billion dollar boondoggle of “Next Gen”/"My Magic+” and the stagnation of the Florida parks from 2009 to 2017 should carry at least as much weight as the discussions of the creative and/or financial underperformance of the two Paris parks and California Adventure, but since the latter can be pinned on Michael Eisner and not Bob Iger, the former are ignored.

So that closes things out on a more sour note, but everything leading up to the mid-2000s through 2010s section of this massive documentary highlights the superb fusion of creativity and practical application that has defined the very best work of the Imagineers since the 1950s.

Overall, essential viewing.

I finally marathoned this whole thing.

For the bulk of its extensive running time, it's an absolutely fantastic look at the design and execution of the most storied theme parks and attractions on the planet, presented in a glossy -- but relatively frank and honest -- way. The amount of archival footage here is nothing less than a goldmine for fans, and the way it highlights the numerous personalities who had their hands in the creation of Disney’s themed entertainment is very important for posterity. The evident passion and emotion on display from these folks is quite heartwarming to see.

Things do sputter out in the last two episodes, however, where it becomes clear that making Bob Iger’s decisions look as good as possible was a major goal, to the detriment of the overall package; Iger’s legacy with the theme park side of Disney’s business will (in time, I believe) be viewed as incredibly mixed, not the resounding triumph of wisdom and good taste which it is depicted as here. The fluffery starts to come out in full force, and any discussion of internal conflicts is buried. Obviously, nobody should have been expecting this to slam the regime that greenlit this project, but a bit more objectivity -- and fewer pulled punches -- would have been greatly appreciated. The multi-billion dollar boondoggle of “Next Gen”/"My Magic+” and the stagnation of the Florida parks from 2009 to 2017 should carry at least as much weight as the discussions of the creative and/or financial underperformance of the two Paris parks and California Adventure, but since the latter can be pinned on Michael Eisner and not Bob Iger, the former are ignored.

So that closes things out on a more sour note, but everything leading up to the mid-2000s through 2010s section of this massive documentary highlights the superb fusion of creativity and practical application that has defined the very best work of the Imagineers since the 1950s.

Overall, essential viewing.
It's funny that they can admit in the past where they went wrong but can't admit anything within the last ten years (like Pixar Peir), its all great to them which I guess money wise it is but I feel like the period from after Carsland until Rise of the Resistance was pretty meh for most parks...things now were about to heat up but with everything happening who knows where it goes