The IOA Lagoon | Inside Universal Forums

The IOA Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 12, 2019
So i'm walking up and down IOA today ... go on Spiderman, walk up towards Kong, Jurassic Park, Potter. And it occurs to me, that my 5 hours in the park so far, i've yet to even view the lagoon.

This lagoon takes up huge space in the park. It's massive. Yet no where along the major e-ticket route do i even see it.

It's only once you get down towards areas of 'Lost Continent' (and even then you have to work your way around some rocks to get a view as it's hidden), and at 'Seuss Landing' when you actually can actually see any of it - and even then once again, you have to walk your way around to actually see it.

Do you think IAO in planning terms makes much use of this Lagoon? There is no entertainment on the lagoon - be it a show, or evening parades/fireworks. If not, do you put it down to some bad planning? Is there anything they could do in the future to open up the Lagoon as a natural setting as you are walking around the park - without it being hidden?

I've seen similar problems with the lagoon over at Universal Studios Singapore - where space is a premium, yet you rarely see something that takes up so much acreage.

You really have to have water in a theme park. The entire park will feel like a concrete jungle otherwise - even if you fill it with plants.

In my opinion, a lot of regional parks fall into that trap. They maximize for stuff/acre and the park’s aesthetic suffers because it’s just steel and concrete as far as the eye can see.

In IoA’s case in particular, the lagoon interacts with the water systems used for the three water rides. They need a crazy amount of water and I’m pretty sure the lagoon acts as either an overflow for their retention ponds?

It also doesn’t help that the JP construction is blocking one of the most prime vantage points of the lagoon.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
So i'm walking up and down IOA today ... go on Spiderman, walk up towards Kong, Jurassic Park, Potter. And it occurs to me, that my 5 hours in the park so far, i've yet to even view the lagoon.

This lagoon takes up huge space in the park. It's massive. Yet no where along the major e-ticket route do i even see it.

It's only once you get down towards areas of 'Lost Continent' (and even then you have to work your way around some rocks to get a view as it's hidden), and at 'Seuss Landing' when you actually can actually see any of it - and even then once again, you have to walk your way around to actually see it.

Do you think IAO in planning terms makes much use of this Lagoon? There is no entertainment on the lagoon - be it a show, or evening parades/fireworks. If not, do you put it down to some bad planning? Is there anything they could do in the future to open up the Lagoon as a natural setting as you are walking around the park - without it being hidden?

I've seen similar problems with the lagoon over at Universal Studios Singapore - where space is a premium, yet you rarely see something that takes up so much acreage.

The lagoon originally had a show and boats that transported guests between PoE and Jurassic Park. Times changed, ops changed.

The lagoon originally had a show and boats that transported guests between PoE and Jurassic Park. Times changed, ops changed.
Yeah, but with change could also come the addition of say, an island in the middle of the lagoon that is either original or IP-based with pathways created, filling in parts of the lagoon, to get out there. It would transform the park into a quasi-hub and spoke park as well.

The lagoon is extremely large with a lot of wasted space. It would be nice to see it used more properly, but there's more pressing matters in IOA at the moment.

Yeah, but with change could also come the addition of say, an island in the middle of the lagoon that is either original or IP-based with pathways created, filling in parts of the lagoon, to get out there. It would transform the park into a quasi-hub and spoke park as well.

The lagoon is extremely large with a lot of wasted space. It would be nice to see it used more properly, but there's more pressing matters in IOA at the moment.

Well Arjy was suggesting the lagoon was bad planning, as to which I pointed out was not the case. It wasn't just designed to sit idle, it eventually became that.

But also... That ain't happening. :lol:

Make a night show for IOA. Problem solved.

Well Arjy was suggesting the lagoon was bad planning, as to which I pointed out was not the case. It wasn't just designed to sit idle, it eventually became that.

But also... That ain't happening. :lol:

Make a night show for IOA. Problem solved.
Arguably, you could do what I laid out AND create a nighttime show and the viewing would be better. It's a really large lagoon and I know the park was built with lagoon viewing, butI still think that to do a show out there, it can't be like RoE and be 360. They need to focus much like they did at USF for a show to work in that lagoon with the amount of people that will want to watch it.

Arguably, you could do what I laid out AND create a nighttime show and the viewing would be better. It's a really large lagoon and I know the park was built with lagoon viewing, butI still think that to do a show out there, it can't be like RoE and be 360. They need to focus much like they did at USF for a show to work in that lagoon with the amount of people that will want to watch it.

If they created an island barge, with a rivers of light-type show - it could work. Tell "the story" of Islands of Adventure.

Have a mini-island (and I mean a mini-not-visitable-Island) with a lighthouse that uses its beacon to invite the characters from islands to the center. Have different ships converge to the middle representing each island, with characters on each of them. A SHIELD boat for Marvel, a whimsical Seuss boat, Me Ship, The Olive for Toon, the Durmstrang boat... with Fireworks, music, lasers, all that jazz.

You're welcome, Universal.

Here's the thing with the IOA lagoon, it being seen sometimes and not seen other time is kind of the point.

If you notice, there is a main winding midway path that takes you through the entire park. On this path, you will catch all of the major e-tickets and see everything that you would need to see. However, if one wanted, they could venture off onto breakaway paths that give a more intimate and tighter experience that provide some special experiences (ex: the path in Toon Lagoon, the space around Mythos with the troll under the bridge, and Sneech Beach). These areas are often serene and a quiet break from the main midway. In a way, IOA was designed as the antithesis to Studios, where the 'main path' is not the focus, but rather, an easy way to connect the different lands.

The lagoon plays a major part in the break off paths. No, it is not meant to be a main feature like the lagoon at Epcot, rather, it serves as a part of the intimate spots of IOA, a venturing down to the water so to speak. It also provides an awesome moment when you first walk in the park. At the very least, it provides utility and is a clever way to hide a retention space for some water rides

In other words, the lagoon is an important part of what IOA is as a park. You see it at the right moments, and it hides away from view to make sure you are immersed in the island you are currently 'in' at other moments. There is a unique design choice to immerse guests one moment and then remind them of an interconnected grouping of lands the next

You can choose to take the main path and be immersed in each land if you wish. Or you can venture to the lagoons edge in each land and appreciate the entire park at once.

The lagoon being hidden sometimes is an intentional design decision

It also doesn't take up as much space as you think

Last edited: