Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The "IP That's Yet to Come" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Id like to see a scarezone or maze based off The Crazies. I think it work well more as scarezone though.

Other than the fact it's owned by WB--who may or may not be open to licensing their IPs again--I actually think it's pretty likely. Big late 80s horror hit, iconic set pieces/characters, even a cool soundtrack. I'd put it up there with Hellraiser in the "surprised they haven't done it already" category.

I hope you’re right, my fears about it also stem from the curiosity of if they even want to use that IP. While I think it perfectly ticks all the boxes you mention, I worry if Universal feels the same way enough to try to get access to it if it became available or if they’d just be like “welp, we did Vamp ‘85 so that’s that”~ and have that be the end of it.

Other than the fact it's owned by WB--who may or may not be open to licensing their IPs again--I actually think it's pretty likely. Big late 80s horror hit, iconic set pieces/characters, even a cool soundtrack. I'd put it up there with Hellraiser in the "surprised they haven't done it already" category.

I always figured it'd be a scare zone, but Vamp 55 / 85 covered similar ground in the old school "we don't have rights to the IP so here's our fair use take with a similar flavor" execution.

I hope you’re right, my fears about it also stem from the curiosity of if they even want to use that IP. While I think it perfectly ticks all the boxes you mention, I worry if Universal feels the same way enough to try to get access to it if it became available or if they’d just be like “welp, we did Vamp ‘85 so that’s that”~ and have that be the end of it.

I always figured it'd be a scare zone, but Vamp 55 / 85 covered similar ground in the old school "we don't have rights to the IP so here's our fair use take with a similar flavor" execution.

I think it comes down to how old the new design crew is. North of 40, even 35, I think it has a solid chance.

While I get the comparison to Vamp 85 on paper, TLB had its own aesthetic. Vamp 85 felt very much like an 80s zone that happened to feature vampires--TLB more its own thing. Very 80s, true, but its own spin on the 80s. And locations very distinct from Times Square. If we could have Evil Dead and Cabin in the Woods houses literally steps from one another, I don't see this as a deal-breaker.

I think it comes down to how old the new design crew is. North of 40, even 35, I think it has a solid chance.

While I get the comparison to Vamp 85 on paper, TLB had its own aesthetic. Vamp 85 felt very much like an 80s zone that happened to feature vampires--TLB more its own thing. Very 80s, true, but its own spin on the 80s. And locations very distinct from Times Square. If we could have Evil Dead and Cabin in the Woods houses literally steps from one another, I don't see this as a deal-breaker.

Exactly how “new” is the new design crew? It’s not like Pat and Charles are going anywhere. I’m a little concerned marketing will roll back creative control with Aiello’s departure.

I was gonna bring this up. I would never have thought a zone like Vanity would happen let alone work, but I really enjoyed it! Then again I also liked 7 a lot too.

A Vanity ball direct house probably wouldn’t work but there’s definitely something there, perhaps the backstory to the ball..... the Vanity HQ :lol:

A few horror tv shows I had in mind:

- Supernatural
- The Haunting Of Hill House
- Penny Dreadful
- Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina
- The Twlight Zone
- Buffy The Vampire Slayer
- Tales From The Crypt
- Hannibal

I know some are unavailable, but this is just a wish list.

Sabrina would be a good replacement for Stranger Things. The second season was pretty good and would draw guest to the event.

I think Supernatural could draw a huge crowd. Its a really popular show and is also coming to an end soon.

I understand there's not a lot of franchises that'll come close to the heights of Walking Dead and Stranger Things and I'm not trying to gatekeep here, but c'mon...

At this point, we're just throwing all IPs at a wall. Let's try to make a discussion out of this...

What about IP's that haven't been featured that would drive attendance and anchor the event.

IT. Scream. MAYBE Conjuring (its moment has kind of passed, but Annabelle has the iconography). Beetlejuice as a "family friendly" headliner.

That's about it. There are clear reasons why all three of those haven't shown up yet... but "IT" could change.

IT. Scream. MAYBE Conjuring (its moment has kind of passed, but Annabelle has the iconography). Beetlejuice as a "family friendly" headliner.

That's about it. There are clear reasons why all three of those haven't shown up yet... but "IT" could change.

I’ll be shocked if It comes, ever.

Candyman?

Definitely a more second tier IP. I would welcome Candyman. There is NOTHING funny or family friendly about it. Very sad movie actually.

Last edited:
I’m surprised a lot of people haven’t mentioned George A. Romero’s “Of the Dead” series. The franchise has a lot of potential. Hell I’d be down to see Return of the Living Dead as a maze. I do think the chances of seeing these films at HHN are slim to none because of Walking Dead but if they did come they could make for some fun gory mazes.
And of course I wanna see It, the Conjuring Universe, John Carpenter’s The Thing, and Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead Trilogy just like everyone else. Murdy is a huge fan of some of those properties and when he’s really passionate about certain IPs they end up being some of the best mazes of all time.
I would also love to see the work of Tim Burton. With the success of Throwback Thursdays, a Beetlejuice maze wouldn’t totally be out of the question.
As long as there’s more Universal Monsters and no more Purge, I’ll be excited for any other great IPs that come to the event!

Status
Not open for further replies.